Tow Dolly brakes or not

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JD Sharp

We just purchased a Mini Cooper (manual) to tow behind our motorhome. The MH is a 2000 Winnebago Chieftain 34Y with V10 310HP and electric brake assist. My question is the Mini only weights 2600lb and I am not required to have brakes on the dolly for Washington state. As we are weekenders a couple one week trips, do I need the addition braking? If so are surge brakes sufficient?

Are you flat towing or using a dolly? You mention getting a manual transmission so that sounds like you are flat towing yet you mention a dolly.  In many states, you need brakes for anything over a thousand pounds and surge brakes typically fit the bill. However, legally required or not, I prefer more braking power to less.  I tow a Honda Accord on a dolly.  The dolly weighs about 700 pounds and the car nearly 4000.  I has a short period where my dolly brakes were not working and I could tell a big difference in stopping power.  Of course, you have less weight but there may come a time when some fool pulls in front of you and you will really value those few extra feet of stopping ability.  Just my opinion....
JackT

Thanks - If I decide on dolly it will have surge and if we tow four down I will get a Brake Buddy.

FYI, surge brakes can be a problem sometimes.  They engage...then disengage; all at the times you don't want them to.  You might be happier with electric brakes on the dolly if you decide to go that direction.

Marsha~

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob007
Back
Top Bottom