Tow Dolly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tugboat

What is the best tow dolly to use? how easy to move without load?I have to use one to tow a Mini Cooper. Thanks for all the help!

We just bought a used Master Tow and brought it home empty towing it behind a pickup truck.  No problems.  We are going to be towing a Toyota RAV4

tugboat said:
What is the best tow dolly to use?

That's like asking "what is the best car to drive?"  ;)

There are multiple brands, and any of them would probably be fine for a lightweight car like a Mini.  Look in your local classifieds for some used ones and see what you can find.

I'm thinking about selling mine if you're anywhere near central IL!  :)

We have a MasterTow which works well (although I still want to switch to a 4 down towable).  MaterTow makes a good product but there may be lots of others as good.  One thing that I have noticed, though, is that an empty dolly is a pain to tow.  When we have the car on the dolly, i feel absolutely no effect from the dolly beyond the obvious impact of the additional 4500 lbs back there. However, I have towed the empty dolly  for a few miles and hated it.  It is so light, it bounces all over and you can really feel it in the coach.  Particularly when on a rough surface, it it really annoying.  I was recently following another vehicle towing an empty dolly and I could actually see the dolly bouncing clear of the road on some bumps.
--jack

^^ On that topic, tow dollies will ride much better when empty if you lower the PSI in the tires.  When loaded, my dolly tires are at 50psi, but can be reduced as low as 20psi IIRC for empty transport.  Makes a big difference in the bouncing effect.

We have had a Master tow for 5 years no problems You can get replacement parts also.
http://www.mastertow.com/index.asp

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob007
Back
Top Bottom