Tow, Tow, Tow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TNBigfoot

Considering an upgrade to my towable.  Current is a 25? 4500 lb dry wt with -500 lb hitch weight.  This tows well with my F150 5L with 9100 lb GVWR.  The upgrade would take me to 5500 lbs and 725 hitch wt.  Will I see a big difference in tow performance?  Thanks.

I think they are asking ?what travel trailer?. Make & model.

Dry weight isn?t useful for figuring out towing (except to calculate GVWR of trailer - dry weight plus cargo carrying capacity = GVWR). The dry weight is the weight as it left the factory. You will never have that weight.

How did you determine tongue weight? We generally say to plan for a tongue weight = 10 to 12% of the trailer GVWR. Likely more than you stated.

The upgrade is to a Freedom Express 248 RBS.  It is listed at 5574 lbs dry weight and 728 lbs tongue wt.

That's a nice trailer.  If you have 1926 payload, I think you'd be fine.  Get a decent wdh hitch for sure.  Does your truck have any towing package?  Keep in mind that 5500# dry will turn into 7000 loaded and 900# hitch weight, but even then, you should be fine.  But to answer your question, yes you will certainly know it's back there  8)

ps:  do you know what rear end you have? 

Indeed will have a weight transfer hitch and the F150 does have a towing package.  I like this trailer with the rear bathroom and couch/u-dinette arrangement.  81? ceiling is a definite plus allong with the outdoor kitchen.

TNBigfoot said:
Indeed will have a weight transfer hitch and the F150 does have a towing package.  I like this trailer with the rear bathroom and couch/u-dinette arrangement.  81? ceiling is a definite plus allong with the outdoor kitchen.
Nice indeed, it has sparked my interest.  I'm considering a little bigger and it meets several in my check box.  Please keep us posted.

I bit the bullet and have committed to the Freedom Express 248 RBS.  This unit checks most of the boxes and I will say that it appears the build quality is better than most of the mfgrs that I?ve been looking at.  GVWR comes in at right at 7000# and via VIN lookup on my F150, it is coming in at 10900# so I believe I am within reasonable tow capacity less the 80% with some margin. 

Lynx0849 said:
Note that most folks are not running out of tow capacity but often run out of cargo carrying capacity on the TV.

Exactly my situation.  Sold the cl c and replaced with a 28' TT.  Wife wants to pack everything so the Yukon XL was recently replaced with a Ford e350 Van Super Duty Wagon. I removed rear seats to get more carrying cap.

Seon said:
Exactly my situation.  Sold the cl c and replaced with a 28' TT.  Wife wants to pack everything so the Yukon XL was recently replaced with a Ford e350 Van Super Duty Wagon. I removed rear seats to get more carrying cap.

E350 sounds great.  Loved the wife comment, I can relate.  Although I'm guilty of taking firewood, lots.  Our state parks are robbery on firewood sales.

OP here and looking for wise council (please be kind) :). I?m digging into the numbers a bit further on this trailer and my tow vehicle and whether I need to be concerned.  Following are some of the trailer and truck capacities:

Truck GCWR is 16200 lbs with a GVWR of 7000 lbs and curb wt of 4850 lbs.  if I add fuel, passengers, and cargo, I figure another 1200 lbs for a loaded vehicle weight of 6050 lbs.  this leaves me 950 lbs capacity up to GVWR.

Now for the travel trailer.  Dry weight from sticker is 5700 lbs.  Cargo capacity is 1926lbs however I wouldn?t ever expect more than 1200 lbs actual cargo in trailer.  I never pull with fresh water tank full for boondocking.  So I would be at 6900 total weight in the camper. 

Using 13% for tongue weight, I?m at an additional 897 lbs plus 6050 on the vehicle for a total weight + tongue of 6947 lbs or 99% of the GVWR.  I can obsess over decisions like this.  My current travel trailer is in the range of 5400 lbs which puts me total of 6630 lbs. actual gross weight on the truck with tongue.

I really can?t afford to step up to an F250 so I?ve got what I?ve got.  Am I pushing it too close for comfort?  Thanks for your input.

Edit: deleted comment, I agree with above.  You are certainly at the upper limit with a 1807 carry capacity, aka Payload on your truck. 

Here is a great calculator
http://changingears.com/rv-sec-calc-trailer-weight-tt.shtml

As Lynx said, where did yogurt the curb wt?  The yellow placard on the driver door latch post gives cargo capacity as equipped when it left the factory and INCLUDES A FULL TANK OF FUEL.

Otherwise, your calculations are accurate.  Add capacity for fuel wt and deduct for options wt and you come out about even.

You are near capacity, but the truck will not self destruct if you are 100 lbs over.  Since you own this truck, give it a try.  You can upgrade later if needed.

Back
Top Bottom