Tow vehicle for hitchhiker ce 37 bedroom w/gvrw of 17800

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JCLM

We are buying a 2003 Hitchhiker ce 37 bedroom w/gvwr of 17800. After doing my homework on this subject, being new to all of this, I realize that to be within the tow ratings I probably need something like a Ford F450. I was just wondering if anyone has been towing something of this size for any length of time with a 1 ton dually and, if so, how's that working? Also, would a Ford F450 flatbed work or would the trailer sit too high?  Thanks for any feedback you can give me. My wife and I in the process of becoming full-timers and this whole thing is new to us, but we are excited about this new venture and need all the help and info we can get. Thanks again.
Jim & Carla

I know we have a couple people here who own or have owned trailers in that weight class, so hopefully they will respond. A properly configured F350 can get you to about 16,000 lbs, so you really need a F450 or similar class tow vehicle to be safe.

I see F350/Chevy 3500 trucks pulling trailers this size and know they have ample power to move them, but still it scares me to see them overloaded like that.

We have a HitchHiker CE 37 that we tow with a one ton dually (a 2007 GMC 3500 diesel with Allison transmission).  No problems.

We've had our HitchHiker since December and have towed it a lot, including over many mountain passes. Before that, we had a trailer that was almost as heavy and the GMC handled it well.

You might want to check out the Nuwa (HitchHiker) owners forum at www.nuwaowners.org.

Hope you enjoy your CE 37 as much as we enjoy ours!

Jeannine

Well, whether the 3500/F350 dually "CAN" pull it or not is really not the question.  They both certainly can pull it, and probably do fine.  But the F-450 and beyond, or the bigger Chevy Kodiak's, well, that's what they were made for.  I believe the F-450 would be the ideal choice for that.  As for the question of the flatbed, I can't really answer that.  It would all depend on the height of everything.  You would need to get all those numbers and take them to a dealer to see.

Sounds like fun...good luck.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kevinapple
Back
Top Bottom