tow vehicle pros and cons?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hpcmbw

I've inherited a 29' fifth wheel - GVWR 9675, UVW 7640. I'm considering selling my 4runner to buy a truck I can tow the 5th wheel with. Looking to spend under $15k.

I'll be driving the truck 90% of the time w/out the trailer. What trucks are known to be problems? Bad trannies, headgasket problems, diesel v. gas, etc would all be helpfull.  I drive about 20k per year, so I'm hoping to get something with 18 mpg or better w/out the trailer. I've considered buying an older 3/4 ton truck just for the trailer, but fear that a $5,000 truck may not be reliable enough to trust with random tow duties.

I'd prefer a 1/2 ton, but in a different post on this forum am told that the trailer is heavy enough that I should really consider a 3/4 ton. I'm still considering 1/2 ton because I'll be towing rarely, but realize this is taking a bit of a chance when towing. 

Any and all input is appreciated.

If this is in an incorrect forum, let me know and i'll repost in the correct forum.

Thanks in advance!

I like the Dodge turbo diesel.I have a 06 2500 6 speed stick.It handles my fifth wheel well which is a bout the same weight as yours.I get 16 mph towing and about 20 - 23 mpg around town.The inline 6 cyl. has plenty power and is very reliable.I would think you could find one within your price budget. I purposely have stayed away from automatic transmissions for towing.Every auto I have had has eventually given problems which were very costly. Happy Camping!!

You definitely do not want a half-ton towing that 5er.  Even if you do find one "within specs", it will not be as enjoyable as getting the right truck from the start.  I believe the older diesels are the only thing that will give you the mileage you would like to get not towing, and with the price range you are looking at.  But you may still be wishing more than realizing with the expectation of 18 or more mpg from a 3/4 truck. 

As for reliabliity, all the 3/4 truck have gotten pretty good.  I think for what you are wanting, the Ford V-10 may be something to consider.  You won't pay the premium for the diesel when not towing, and if you keep it well tuned and drive carefully, you can get near 16 mpg with it not towing.  And it has plenty of power, especially for that weight class.  It is a very reliable truck with many reports of over 250,000 miles and only minor problems.  My own (a 5.4L V-8) has over 117,000 and has never been in the shop for anything.  I've only done the standard maintenance.  But the 5.4L is not enough for that particular trailer unless you get the newer 3 valve (2005 and up), or can find one with a 4.10 or 4.30 rear end.

Hope this helps some.

hpcmbw said:
Looking to spend under $15k.

You're going to get what you pay for

I prefer the Dodge diesel trucks.  As was mentioned earlier, the auto tranny's are Dodge's weakest link, so if you get yourself a stick, your gold. Theonly problem being is that you probably won't find a newer on in the 15K range, and going to a 24 valve the mileage get's a little worse than the newer ones. I get about 16mpg with mostly city driving.

For 15K though you could find a nice 24 valve Dodge, or if an older truck turns you on, go with something like a 96 Ford diesel. Those things are STOUT !!

Good luck

Thanks for the input. I see some dodge 2500's out there with a nonturbo diesel and a 5.9l hemi. Anyone know how these do towing and gas mileage wise?  I'm gonna need 4x4, so I assume my mileage is going to be a little worse still. What year did Dodge change the 24 valve? Is 24 valve better or worse?

My current finances are looking more like $10k then $15k, so looking at 2000 to 2003 trucks with around 100k miles. Thanks for the tip on the manual trans vs. auto. If someone has already had an auto tranny worked on, should it be good to go, or still be wary?

Thanks!

I have towed with an auto-transsion for 14 years.  The only time I had problems wi th it was when it was NOT towing.  Wife left OD on driving on a twisty but level mountain road.  The gear searching overheated it and it went into a fully locked safety cycle.

Oh - one other thing i've been reading about - short bed v. long bed. Short bed seems easier to manuver w/out the trailer, but is there a significant issue with towing a fifth wheel with a short bed? Something about turn radius?

I would not look at the Hemi (5.7L actually) or any of the V-8 gassers, especially for the years you are looking.  It still won't be enough to "comfortably" pull that trailer.  You really need to stick with the V-10 or diesel (or the 8.1L from Chevy, the exception to the V-8's).  Dodge had a V-10 that they put in their 2500's for a few years, but it is a rare find.  

As for long bed vs. short bed, it depends on the trailer you've inherited.  Some are made with short bed towing in mind, while others are not.  For those that are not, a slider hitch is highly recommended.  A long bed will certainly be longer, but I would not consider it a deal buster.  It would negate the need for the slider hitch (which would save you money on that).  It's all about trade off and what you are willing to live with.  You can always adjust to the longer wheelbase (park a little further out where there are no vehicles parked, etc.).  

As far as the years you are looking at, trying to find a good truck with fewer than 100K on the odo is going to be a challenge.  These trucks were built to work, and that's what people do with them.  However, don't let a truck with over 100K necessarily scare you off either, especially a diesel.  I hang out on the Ford SuperDuty forums, and there's a thread for "how many miles" there, and there are many many trucks, both diesel and gas with well over 200K and their owners report that they run just like they came off the showroom floor.  Mine has over 118,000 on it (a 2003 5.4L) and I'm one of those.  I did my first tune-up at 105,000.  My truck has never been in the shop for repairs (now knocking on wood  ;)).  And I still get close to 16 mpg (not towing)!

Well, I hope this helps you out some more.  Do some looking around, see what's available, and let us know if you find something you are interested in.

hpcmbw said:
Thanks for the input. I see some dodge 2500's out there with a nonturbo diesel and a 5.9l hemi. Anyone know how these do towing and gas mileage wise?  I'm gonna need 4x4, so I assume my mileage is going to be a little worse still. What year did Dodge change the 24 valve? Is 24 valve better or worse?

My current finances are looking more like $10k then $15k, so looking at 2000 to 2003 trucks with around 100k miles. Thanks for the tip on the manual trans vs. auto. If someone has already had an auto tranny worked on, should it be good to go, or still be wary?

Thanks!

For towing, I wouldn't buy ANYTHING without a turbo. Honestly, I can't even remember when they started putting turbo's on. I want to think it was back in the 80's.

12 valve - 24 valve

The 24 valves came out in 1998.5. It was a mid year introduction. Dodge came out with it to meet the increased EPA standards. The 12 valvers are still regarded as AWESOME machines !! They are totally mechanical, whereas with teh introduction of the 24 valvers, they went to electronic.

I wouldn't be TOTALLY put off by a Dodge tranny that has been rebuilt / worked on. The Dodge tranny is the weak link, so I'd say it's rather common to have one worked on.

For example - I just dropped 6K into a Suncoast tranny for my Dodge. Doing so will prevent me from hopefully EVER having tranny problems. If I could find a truck with a Suncoast tranny, I'd look at it as a plus !!

That being said, if you're comfortable with a stick shift tranny, you'll be fine with a stock Dodge trans

In choosing transmission types, do check out the truck's tow ratings.  Sometimes a manual transmission gives up tow ratings in comparison to autos, sometimes it does not.  Use the Trailer Life website's Tech section's tow ratings to check the ratings of any particular truck.

Thanks for the great input. I've been researching trucks here in the Sacramento and San Francisco area and the trucks are all advertised for over blue book (even private party trucks). I think the diesel's get such good mileage that they are really holding their value. The gassers are a bit more reasonable.

One decent deal I found - 03 Dodge quad cab 4x4 w/5.7 liter gasser, auto trans and 80k miles for around $10k. Would I get 18 mpg or better on the freeway w/out the trailer? Would a trans cooler be enough to help the trans last longer? This one looks like a deal I might need to jump on.

Thanks

That truck is probably overloaded with the trailer mentioned and i highly doubt 18 mpg with a 4x4 more likely 13-15 on the freeway going slow. The Dodges aren't known for their fuel economy.

I'd look for an older diesel in the Fords look for the 7.3

I would definitely go with a 250 diesel, I am a ford man but I have friends that pull with the older dodges and love them. Also, 18-21 hwy(empty ) is not  uncommon.
If you buy a gas burner, my opinion is you will not be happy,power wise. the maintenance on diesels is slightly more costly but less frequent. Opinions are like, well you know.

hpcmbw said:
Would a trans cooler be enough to help the trans last longer?

NO

Dodge already has a cooler on their tranny's. Unfortunately, the auto tranny is Dodge's weak link. Other than that, they are STOUT !! I just put a new tranny in my Dodge solely BECAUSE I knew they were the weak link. I should be good for a half million miles now.

I agree with the others .... pass on the gassers and get yourself a diesel. You'll never second guess your decision.

I too would look at older Ford F250's with the 7.3L diesel. I've had two Dodges, one old 12V and a newer 2006 24V. I also had a Ford Excursion with the 7.3L. I towed the same travel trailer with all three trucks. The first Dodge did have some trouble on mountain grades pulling my '29 TT. That 7.3L never gave me any trouble and I only slowed down on mountain grades because I knew I didn't want to go over the top carrying that much speed. Never had a GMC/Chevy, but have spoken with a few people who have them and they all love their trucks.

So, the first generation of Dodge Cummins engines are great, but a little under powered. There's plenty of kits which can take care of that problem. I too have heard of people having trouble with the Dodge autos, I've got a manual, but your trailer doesn't weigh that much compared with what some folks are hauling. Stay away from the Ford 6.0L diesel as they had some trouble with that engine blowing head gaskets. I wonder though if the problem with the Ford 6.0L isn't similar to the Dodge auto. It wasn't built with the heavier loads that some people haul with these trucks. I've got a friend who has the 6.0L and a lite 5th wheel. He's not had a problem. I've not heard of any problems with the GMC/Chevy. Their blue book values probably reflect that as well, not to mention that GM's seem to be priced a little higher than Ford or Dodge when new.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the heads up re: tow capacities. I assumed all 2500's would handle a 10,000 lb 5er, but now find that the gassers only tow about 9000 lbs.

I'm finding all the decent 3/4 ton diesel's are out of my price range, so am now looking at a $5k truck used just to tow the 5er. I'm looking at 1 ton duelly's and other trucks, and not worrying as much about gas mileage. I found a 1997 Chevy 2500 with 454 and 1 ton springs with 130k for a decent price (but I assume will only get about 12-14 mpg freeway), but can't find anything online to show me the towing capacity of that truck. Any ideas?

RV Roamer said:
Only if you are lucky. And 130k is rather high mileage for a 1997 454 engine.

I agree, and I'll add that the LAST thing you want to do is wind up having to fix a broken truck while headed out on vacation

Talk about elevated stress levels !!

The inherited 5th wheel probably has some emotional strings attached, but at least consider selling the 5th wheel and your 4-runner and buy a matched set (truck and RV) that better meet your needs.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tensch
Back
Top Bottom