Tow Vehicle Question - duallie or single wheel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

irollman

I'm considering purchasing a 5th wheel to replace my Class A. It would be a full-timer rig, so it won't be hauled a lot. But I'd end up using the truck as a daily driver, or mostly so. Looking to get a 1-ton, as I'm looking for a more comfy 5er, which means bigger.

So, would a rear end with single wheels do OK, or is that a real no no, and should I go duallie?

I think most people will agree that DRW will be much more stable. I towed a fifth wheel for 10yrs and I loved having the DRW when we got into strong winds and storms. We we're mainly local and within the state then we didn't do alot of cross country. It was still a must for me.

While a dually has some pluses, the main consideration boils down to how much weight the truck has to carry, i.e. the payload or CCC. The pin weight of a larger 5W is substantial and it often requires the 4 tires of a dually to carry the load.  Most SRW (single rear wheel) trucks max out somewhere between 2200 and 3000 lbs of Payload, which typically means a trailer under 15,000 lbs GVWR.

It's going to be an iterative process.  You need to look at trailers to see what models and styles will provide the livability you want and then look at weights to see how much truck you need for that.  If that truck is too big or too expensive for your other priorities, re-think the trailer size.

If you aren't towing often, consider a travel trailer rather than a 5W. They have a much lower tongue weight (10% vs 20%) and most can be towed with a 3/4 ton or 1-ton SRW.

If you aren't towing often, consider a travel trailer rather than a 5W.

Well, since I'm living in it more or less full time, my decision is the other way around - I'm looking at a 5W for amenities, space and storage. (Actually, likely some flavor of toy hauler for the "garage", although I don't need a big garage). So based on this and other input/ research, a duallie looks like the most likely option.

I have (had) both the dually is much more stable but a bigger pain to park and no harder to drive around the city than anything else. I had a dually in 08 went back to a Srw in 13 and back to dually in 17 and i have a 1/2 ton long box as a work truck

Gary is on target, as usual.  It really depends on the FW you choose and how much it weighs.  We have a very comfortable (for us) FW that is 39 ft and 15,500 GVWR.  It works for us with a SRW F350 Lariat  with a 3453# Payload.  Lower trim level will increase Payload.

No doubt the dually is a more stable towing platform, but if you avoid towing on windy days and tow somewhat infrequently AND the FW weight works for the truck you like, then a SRW should work.  The really big point is that the weights work!

Ask if you want a better definition of weights that work.

irollman said:
I'm considering purchasing a 5th wheel to replace my Class A. It would be a full-timer rig, so it won't be hauled a lot. But I'd end up using the truck as a daily driver, or mostly so. Looking to get a 1-ton, as I'm looking for a more comfy 5er, which means bigger.

So, would a rear end with single wheels do OK, or is that a real no no, and should I go duallie?

There is no doubt, that a DRW is likely more stable. However, there are methods (tho not approved of by many) to substantially increase the load capacity of a SRW. Also, to consider, if it?s a fulltiming 5er...it?s likely heavy. That weight will help with stability, in cross-wind situations.

If I were towing a light trailer with a DRW in high cross-winds....I would not tow! We?ve towed our 5er (20 K pounds) in some fairly high cross-winds (sometimes we have wind in Wyoming) with no problems. In high winds....?WEIGHT is your friend?! You shouldn?t be ?unconscious? behind the steering wheel ....but there were no, ?Oh ?@#$ moments!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dhoehn02
Back
Top Bottom