Tow Vehicle Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brian19889

Greetings everybody.

Just wanted to get an opinion on something.  My wife and I want to buy a camper in the coming years, the problem is that we lack a suitable tractor to pull the type of camper that we want (25-28 ft. bunk house TT).  Today we were looking at a 2008 Toyota Sequoia SUV with a 5.7l V8, and according to the dealer, it was tow rated to 7100 pounds.  This thing is also going to be the wife's daily driver.  So who tows with a Sequoia?  Do they make good pullers?  I figure that we won't be making a camper purchase for a year or so...I really like those Keystone Bullets and the Keystone Hideouts. 

You should restrict your trailer to one which has a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) that does not exceed the truck tow rating.

The Trailer Life Tow Rating tables for 2008 give the 2008 Sequoia a tow rating of 6500 lbs (6,200 if 4WD).  That rating allows only for a 154-lb driver and full fuel and fluids.  You are going to have allow for additional passengers and truck cargo.  Your need for a bunkhouse and an SUV indicates a likelihood of significant such loads.  To account for that I recommend allowing 10%.  Keep your trailer choice to one which has a GVWR of 5850 lbs or less.

If you live in one of the 11 western states, or plan to tow there, you need to bump that 10% up to 20% to allow for the high altitudes and long steep grades found out here.  Non-turbocharged engines lose 3% of rated HP per 1000 feet of altitude.  The rim of the Grand Canyon is about 7000 feet above sea level.  I-70 at the Eisenhower Tunnels in Colorado is at 11,300 feet above sea level.  At the Canyon you lose 21% of power; at the Tunnels you are wheezing along with a 33% loss.  So if you would tow in the West, keep that trailer GVWR to no more than  5200 lbs.

I doubt if you are going to find a 25-28 foot bunkhouse TT within those limits on the Sequoia.  Look for a truck based SUV or van like the Ford E series.  In any case, I recommend deciding on the trailer that you want and then finding the tow vehicle that will handle the load.

Got that?  Trailer first, truck second.  Happy hunting.  ;D

We have a 28 ft bunk house TT that weighs just over 6300 lbs with all our gear aboard and only the fresh water tank filled.  We tow it with a Dodge Ram 1500, 4x4, 5.7 hemi engine which is rated to to tow 8200 lbs.  We have towed it over passes above 11000 ft in Colorado very easily.

If you look at the lightweight TTs, you should be able to find one that will work for you. We have a Cherokee Light 28A by Forest River.

Brian,

I would START by figuring that the max for a trailer for your Sequoia is 5000. Gassers are not really happy pulling anything over about 70% of rated capacity. My last TT weighed in at 7500 loaded and my Tundra, rated at 10000, was maxed out on the Pa turnpike.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Moore1947
Back
Top Bottom