Tow vehicles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

5thwheelMike

I'd like to hear what tow vehicles you all are using for 5th wheels between 30 - 33 feet? Also, has anyone had any towing capacity issues with a similar truck mentioned below, in regards to the size RV I'm considering?

I have a 2020 Ford F 250 7.3 liter Gas 8 foot bed, 4x4, crew cab being delivered in a little over a week. I will be looking for a unit in that length range.

You need to look at GROSS weights. Looking at the worst case is always safe.
What does your truck scale loaded ready to travel? Subtract that from the trucks GVWR. That will give you available payload.
Same for any fiver you consider. GVWR 20% of that is pin weight. Dont forget to add 250 pounds for hitch.

Length has nothing to do with towing in that 30 ft tows the same as 35 ft
Its payload that makes all the difference look for the yellow tag drivers side b piller like the one on the picture below. Thats going to determine how much weight you can put in the truck including people,hitch , wood, etc etc..on a f250 long box depending on trim level its going to be about 3000lbs which is going to limit you what you can tow, say you the misses the hitch tools wood etc =1000lbs it leaves you with 2000lbs pin weight
A typical 5er uses 20% of its gvwr on the pin so a 5er with 10000lb gvwr is 2000lbs. Thats limiting the size 5er

You may want to reconsider the truck before its delivered a f250 is not an ideal tow vehicle for a 5er, bumper pulls yes 5ers not so much

Attachments

• 20210307_112007.jpg
    20210307_112007.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
For once I agree with Steve lol. A 30-33' fiver is probably going to gross around 13,000# which puts 2600# plus or minus on the hitch. Add another 200# for the hitch and you are pretty heavy for an F-250 and you haven't added the significant other, the dog, lawn chairs, bbq etc etc. Try to keep your trailer under 10,000# or upgrade the truck.

For once I agree with Steve lol. A 30-33' fiver is probably going to gross around 13,000# which puts 2600# plus or minus on the hitch. Add another 200# for the hitch and you are pretty heavy for an F-250 and you haven't added the significant other, the dog, lawn chairs, bbq etc etc. Try to keep your trailer under 10,000# or upgrade the truck.
I pay you to agree with me lol hmmm okay maybe not

I am presently using a 2002 Chev 2500 HD Duramax with several upgrades (tires, airbags, chip) to pull a 37' toy hauler. Is it ideal? No, but I cannot find a 3500 right now. Have one ordered but it is 12 to 14 weeks out. I have pulled about 5,000 miles with this setup with no problems, including a 2,000 mile round trip from NM to West Yellowstone over some pretty gnarly roads and mountain passes as well as considerable interstate. I do not get in a hurry (55 to 70 mph depending on conditions), I pay attention to my surroundings and road conditions, and have not encountered any white knuckle events. Prior to this I pulled a 1996 Holiday Rambler 32' 5th wheel all over the country with the same truck. I would guess that your 250 would be a better pick than what I have since you have a more modern truck and a lighter trailer. But, I am guessing you are going to be overloaded a bit. I watched a video recently where a 2020 Chev 2500 Duramax was tested on the Ike Gauntlet pulling 16,000#. Also watched one where a 2021 2500 was pulling off the bumper at 11,400# on the Gauntlet. I am not saying any of this is right or advisable, just telling you what is happening in the real world.

I also think that maybe you should have got the 350 instead of the 250 if you are thinking 5th wheel.

Sorry, but heck I’m not here for a popularity contest anyhow. :) You will be fine, just make sure if the dealer hooks you up that the trailer is balanced, most dealers do not have a clue.
I am towing a 36’ CAMEO, 11,000 dry weight with my 2020 F-250 with the 7.3, it is balanced, no thanks to the dealer!! It tows great, easily. I did put Timbren suspension helpers on truck. It only squated the rear about 2 1/2” but I want it basically level. I guarantee you will have no problem.

I have to agree that you will be okay. 80% of all 5th Wheels that I see are being pulled by SRW pickups, and I would estimate that over half of that is with 3/4 tons. If overloading was a huge issue, there would be a lot more scrutiny from govt. and law enforcement. If people were being stopped and checked for weight, or if insurance companies were denying claims, or if there where a high number of accidents being reported it would be all over social media yet you never see much about it except in forums where people speculate about what might happen, never personal experiences about what DID happen.

Sorry, but heck I’m not here for a popularity contest anyhow. :) You will be fine, just make sure if the dealer hooks you up that the trailer is balanced, most dealers do not have a clue.
I am towing a 36’ CAMEO, 11,000 dry weight with my 2020 F-250 with the 7.3, it is balanced, no thanks to the dealer!! It tows great, easily. I did put Timbren suspension helpers on truck. It only squated the rear about 2 1/2” but I want it basically level. I guarantee you will have no problem.
Have you ever weighed your rig loaded ready to travel?

Just because you can and have not had an issue YET doesnt mean you should could or wont. Insurance companies are always looking for an out, IE if you crash your car drunk your ins is void. They are looking at if you knowingly overload your trucks limits you can possibly viod your insurance.
There will alway be those that push the limits to far, some pay the price some get lucky. Which are you and what are you willing to risk, money,kids,life????

There are a lot of guarantees from posts in this thread, that cannot possibly be guaranteed for your specific situation.

But the "number truth" factors are in there too. Go to the Ford or Trailer Life Towing Guide website and find out exactly what your incoming truck, with its specific options, is rated to tow & carry (payload). And start paying as much attention to trailer GVWR weights, as much as total length. Both are relevant factors, but for a fifth wheel I'd say loaded weight (and associated pin weight) is a bit more important than the lengths you're referencing.

Personally, I won't tow a large 5th wheel (which I plan to own someday) without a 1-ton truck, and likely a dually at that--which I already have, and purchased just for that purpose. I want all the payload headroom and towing stability I can get, so I'm not asking myself "can my truck really handle this?" at any point during my trailer towing experience, or having to upgrade a bunch of stuff on a 3/4-ton just to make it work right. There are enough other things to pay attention to while towing! And especially with a new truck order, there is a relatively small difference in price (from what I understand) on 3/4 ton vs. 1 ton. I don't see the downside of buying the bigger option that you know will handle whatever you put behind it.

There are a lot of guarantees from posts in this thread, that cannot possibly be guaranteed for your specific situation.

But the "number truth" factors are in there too. Go to the Ford or Trailer Life Towing Guide website and find out exactly what your incoming truck, with its specific options, is rated to tow & carry (payload). And start paying as much attention to trailer GVWR weights, as much as total length. Both are relevant factors, but for a fifth wheel I'd say loaded weight (and associated pin weight) is a bit more important than the lengths you're referencing.

Personally, I won't tow a large 5th wheel (which I plan to own someday) without a 1-ton truck, and likely a dually at that--which I already have, and purchased just for that purpose. I want all the payload headroom and towing stability I can get, so I'm not asking myself "can my truck really handle this?" at any point during my trailer towing experience, or having to upgrade a bunch of stuff on a 3/4-ton just to make it work right. There are enough other things to pay attention to while towing! And especially with a new truck order, there is a relatively small difference in price (from what I understand) on 3/4 ton vs. 1 ton. I don't see the downside of buying the bigger option that you know will handle whatever you put behind it.
Totally agree. I made that mistake once and only once. Bought a brand new 2500 HD D/A. Thought I had it all. Then we fell in love with a 36 foot Cedar Creek. Towing home was OK. After loading it up with our stuff and a trip or 2 across a set of scales told the story. Since we were so deep on the 2500 it was new tires. Yes the OE tires were overloaded. Then air bags to support the weight. The final nail in its coffin was climbing out of Warm Springs in a really hot day with all the windows down, heater on full blast going up the hill at 25MPH and see an old Dodge Cummins pulling a loaded 10 hourse trailer pass us like we were standing still. Scaled weights on my loaded 2500 you ask? 10,500 on a 9200GVWR truck. Finally bit the bullet and,bought a dually. Never looked back after that.

Some things you cant fix.
Not by you they can’t! You’re another one that thinks if everyone don’t agree with you then they definitely are wrong. Differant people have differant needs and desires. I tow my 5th wheel maybe 3% of the time. I’ll be damned if I’m buying some billy big rig for that 3% of the time when whatI have is just fine. For example the tires on my whimpy undersized toy F250 are rated at 75lbs air cold. Great, empty it rides like a buck board. Pounds your teath on every little bump. At 60 lbs it’s considerably better! Just for giggles I hooked up the trailer before I aired up and the tires didn’t even show any squat at all. Truck sagged 2 1/2 inches in rear. Hitch sits directly over rear axel, as far as I’m concerned it should be an inch or so ahead axel center.
The trailer is approx 2000 lbs heavier than the rear pull TT was but tows not only better, more stable but easier. I get around a mile per gallon better mileage with the heavier 5th wheel. I have to set cruise on 64-70 otherwise after a while I’m doing faster without realizing.
The OP asked for opinions if he would be o’k with a 3/4 ton truck, I told him in my opinion yes, or at least I am fine in a similar situation.
Kinda like a guy I was chatting with in a RAM 3500 dually, said he didn’t like it because they didn’t have a lift kit for it. He wants the kit because it’s “cool”! Myself if it wasn’t a hassle I’d like to lower mine a couple inches, the trailer would level out better.
So what I’m saying is Now, maybe a set of scales or you would tell me I’m 100 lbs over but know what?? I don’t give a damn what the scales OR you say! Have a great day buddy! And no, you can’t “fix” me, please don’t try!

Back
Top Bottom