Towing 7000# TT with Ram 1500

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well here is an update I added some more camping stuff things that are only needed to keep people happy that we have it, had the new bars on and low and behold big truck after big truck and no issues it was great.
Felt very comfortable driving.
Thanks for all the advice hope some day I can help someone else.

Stewie's logic is sound, a properly set up truck, trailer and hitch is essential.

Im in the same boat as you, with my set up DCM1379 as my truck is at her limit.  I finally got my trailer home and spent literally a full day setting her all up and took her for a test highway run last night.  Similar to hauling a loaded trailer on a pintle hitch(trucker talk for a bumper hitched trailer), so my experience towing it is limited, but that truck tows it just fine.  The suspension is a bit soft despite the heavy duty springs and towing package, but the drive line, transmission and power plant seem to be able to pull that trailer with ease :)

Good luck with your new set up, glad to hear your towing nicer with the new bars :)

Well it does tow quite a bit nicer then it did but still not a relaxing drive. Maybe that is just it with bumper pulls. I am looking at upgrading to an equalizer hitch and see if that helps anymore seems everything I try seems to help it a bit. The bars were a big improvement. I don't usually tow to far maybe 3 hrs max and speed is 60-62 mph best fuel mileage and better to see the sites I would probably go slower but some other drivers pass me with a saluting finger. I chuckle and wave good day.

I run a logging truck for a living, weighs in at 124 000lbs loaded and 39000lbs empty, so Im used to my load pulling me around a bit. 

I chose the E2 hitch from fastway, its a bit of a pain to set it up properly (took me nearly a whole day), but once set up it seems to be nice to drag the trailer ;)  its a very similar hitch to the Equalizer, 2 point sway control instead of 4 point and Fastway is owned by Equalizer.

Glad your towing experience is better with the heavier duty bars!! Be safe out there and happy towing/camping :)

As far as the one finger salute goes.....I always blow them a kiss, usually they have zero idea how to respond to that ;)

Dcm1379 said:
Well it does tow quite a bit nicer then it did but still not a relaxing drive. Maybe that is just it with bumper pulls. I am looking at upgrading to an equalizer hitch and see if that helps anymore seems everything I try seems to help it a bit. The bars were a big improvement. I don't usually tow to far maybe 3 hrs max and speed is 60-62 mph best fuel mileage and better to see the sites I would probably go slower but some other drivers pass me with a saluting finger. I chuckle and wave good day.

Hello Dcm1379,

I'm in the process of purchasing a Greywolf 26BHD and my tow vehicle is a 2016 Ram 1500 Crew Sport 4x4.
There seems to be a lot people who says its to big and others who say it'll be just fine.
Seeing your setup is very similar to  this and have real work experience for about a year now I'd greatly appreciate your input based on real world experience.

Would you do it again?

Any pros? cons?

I just saw your update in another discussion so no need to respond here :)

Gary RV_Wizard said:
FYI:  Dcm1379 hasn't visited here since January of 2019, so may not see your inquiry and respond.

yes indeed... probably got tired of all the ram "haters"  LOL

mitsured said:
Hello Dcm1379,

I'm in the process of purchasing a Greywolf 26BHD and my tow vehicle is a 2016 Ram 1500 Crew Sport 4x4.
There seems to be a lot people who says its to big and others who say it'll be just fine.
Seeing your setup is very similar to  this and have real work experience for about a year now I'd greatly appreciate your input based on real world experience.

Would you do it again?

Any pros? cons?

I just saw your update in another discussion so no need to respond here :)

Best bet is to go to http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/board,21.0.html which is the menu for the towing forum, and toward the upper right is a NEW TOPIC button. Click that and start your own thread, add title and description and you will get responses.

Charles

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anewvisionllc
Back
Top Bottom