Towing a 2014 Honda CRV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rmblaster

Was at the dealership looking at a 2014 crv for use as a toad I was told by the salesman that when you tow it 4 wheels down the mileage accumulates on the odometer is this true

Well once more we find that most salesmen don't know what they are selling. I am towing a 2014 CR-V all wheel drive 4 down and it doesn't accumulate mileage when towing. One caution when you read the manual be Shure to follow the set up on how to run the shifter through the gears before towing. Never go from reverse to neutral for your last shift before towing. go from drive to neutral and no problems. I had the dealer install the base plate and light harness as part of the deal.
Bill

We're also towing a 2014 CR-V AWD.  No problems at all as long as the instructions are followed.  Rather than removing fuses or installing a fuse switch I used a Toad Charge kit to run a charging line to the Honda.  Mileage definitely doesn't accumulate.

FWIW, I was reading a Car & Driver "sneak preview" article about the 2015 CR-V in which they speculated that it's probably carrying the CVT transmission currently used by the Accord. That would not be good for the RV community because that drivetrain is not towable 4-down.  This is nothing but knowledgeable speculation at this point, however.

docj said:
We're also towing a 2014 CR-V AWD.  No problems at all as long as the instructions are followed.  Rather than removing fuses or installing a fuse switch I used a Toad Charge kit to run a charging line to the Honda.  Mileage definitely doesn't accumulate.

What fuses need to be pulled and if you dont mind me asking what aux brake system are you using

Richard

rmblaster said:
What fuses need to be pulled and if you dont mind me asking what aux brake system are you using

Richard

The owner's manual specifies that a 7.5A radio fuse should be pulled if towing for more than ~8 hours; I found the fuse difficult to get to and see (with bifocals).  Furthermore, the Blue Ox installation instructions for their fuse switch kit says that two fuses need to be switched or removed.  Blue Ox also comments that it is difficult to ensure a good connection for the fuse switch wires because of how Honda manufactured the fuse box.  After all of that I decided a charging line was easier.

We have a ReadyBrute braking system and tow bar combination.  We transferred it to the new vehicle and had the necessary cable installed.

I made and installed a fuse switch On our 2013 CR-V.  The manual calls for pulling fuse #19. So now when I switch fuse 19 off I also loose the power to my 12 volt outlets. Since I use a BrakeBuddy I have run a separate fused 12 volt plug in for it from the battery. If someone has a
CR-V prior to 2012 it tells you to pull a different fuse, so check your manual.  Dick nvrver

Awd was something I wanted You may never know it switched to awd. I have never pulled a fuse and have had no problems. I will run the Toad Charge kit that I have in one of the storage bays one of these days.
Bill

With the first two CRVs we towed it would take a couple of days of towing non-stop to run the battery down with the fuse in place. Our current 2011 has the NAVI system and it will run the battery down in 4-6 hours so I have to remember to turn the fuse switch off.

The NOT TOWABLE status of the Honda CRV and CRV 4WD is no longer speculation - it is a fact. 

Posted 14 October 2014 - 09:36 AM
In compiling information for the annual towables guide that will appear in the January 2015 issue, FMC magazine has learned that the 2015 Honda CR-V is not towable four wheels down behind a motorhome. Here is an explanation from Chris Martin in Honda?s Western Region public relations office:

"With the addition of CVT transmissions to both the Fit and the CR-V, our automatic transmission dinghy towing options disappeared. At this point, among all Honda vehicles, only the 2015 Fit with manual transmission has been tested for dinghy towing. There is no manual transmission option for the CR-V. I wish I had better news for your readers."

One additional note:  the 2014 CRV manual contains a diagram to remove the WRONG fuse .  According to a Roadmaster tech bulletin issued June 2, 2015, the correct one to remove is  #19, the first in the row of four 7.5 amp fuses.
We have had many problems with the CRV battery while towing, and after finding this notice we understand why.  Our Honda service department has been clueless and pretty useless in reference to this...
It is too bad Honda has changed their transmission on the 2015 models, but clearly having their vehicles towable is not a priority for them.
I hope this helps.

I see as many CRV's being towed as Jeeps, it seems, probably the two most popular towed vehicles. The used market for CRV's might be in for a boost with the transmission change.

We towed a 2006 6-spd Honda Accord for four years with nary a whimper and used an Air Force One braking system. And our mileage did not roll up when towed, what a spoof!

Coincidentally, that Honda model did not require any fuse pulling which I always found interesting compared to the CRV's.

Mayzie said:
One additional note:  the 2014 CRV manual contains a diagram to remove the WRONG fuse .  According to a Roadmaster tech bulletin issued June 2, 2015, the correct one to remove is  #19, the first in the row of four 7.5 amp fuses.
We have had many problems with the CRV battery while towing, and after finding this notice we understand why.  Our Honda service department has been clueless and pretty useless in reference to this...
It is too bad Honda has changed their transmission on the 2015 models, but clearly having their vehicles towable is not a priority for them.
I hope this helps.

My owner's' manual clearly says to pull fuse #19 but it's worth noting that Blue Ox maintains that some 2014 CR'Vs need to have both #19 and #20 removed (see attached screen shots).  We decided it was easier to use a ToadCharge.

Attachments

• fuse.PNG
    fuse.PNG
    53 KB · Views: 14
  • blue ox.PNG
    blue ox.PNG
    24.4 KB · Views: 9
I think only the ones with the nave system have a problem draining the battery. I have towed my CR-V over 20,000 miles with out the battery going down with out pulling a fuse.
Several people are selling remote switches so you don't have to get down and dig the fuse out.
Bill

WILDEBILL308 said:
I think only the ones with the nave system have a problem draining the battery. I have towed my CR-V over 20,000 miles with out the battery going down with out pulling a fuse.
Several people are selling remote switches so you don't have to get down and dig the fuse out.
Bill

We've put ~15,000 miles of towing on ours and have only had a battery problem once.  The only thing i could think of about that time is that we accidentally left the key in the ON position rather than ACC.  Anyway we now carry one of those "start your car" battery packs plugged in in the basement of the MH.  That way, if it does happen we can immediately start the car without an issue.  When it happened a few months ago we had a battery charger but that needed to be plugged in and took a while to get the car started.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jasondenman
Back
Top Bottom