Towing a 29' TT with a box truck?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jimbe1969

Wondering if I can rent a box truck from uhaul and tow the rig 600 miles.
Can it safely be done and how big of a box truck would you need?
Thanks

I believe this will work, but TALK TO U-HAUL.  Give them the TT weight and they can recommend the right truck.  Be aware of ball / hitch sizes, too.  Often, U-Haul has 2" balls on their trucks.  Your camper is probably 2 5/8" ball.  That will NOT work.

As you have probably already learned, most car rental agencies who rent pick up truck DO NOT allow towing of any kind with their units.

You'd probably need the biggest truck they have, but even then I'm not sure what the GCWR numbers are.  As well as the hitch/ball size already mentioned.  The only thing I ever see U-Haul trucks towing are U-Haul tow dollies, small U-Haul cargo trailers, and the occasional U-Haul car hauler.  Call up U-Haul and ask, I'm sure you wouldn't be the first one to inquire.  If they say no, check around with Penske, Budget, and any other truck rental places in your area.

Any 3/4 ton or larger truck can handle your TT!
Whether or not U Haul will allow you to tow with their equipment is another question

Keith

It might be easier (and even cheaper) to hire a professional to move the trailer than try the rental route. 

I worked for 20 years managing a car rental company for one of the big boys.  Don't even think of towing with one of their vehicles.  It's a violation of the rental agreement (read the rental jacket and any accompanying materials completely) and will nullify any coverage products they sell.  If you wreck it, you may be responsible up to the full retail value of the truck.  Should you have a breakdown and they find out that you're towing, they can refuse to provide a replacement vehicle....and they will just pick up the truck you're driving and leave your trailer by the side of the road. 

U-Haul and their ilk have different rules....but be sure to clear everything you plan to do with them ahead of time and get it in WRITING.  Just because Bubba at the local rental outlet said it was OK doesn't mean it is. 

Again...for a single move, a pro can get it there for you, and they will be insured.

Yes, you may be able to do this. U-Haul lists the towing capabilities of its truck on the website.
https://www.uhaul.com/Trucks/15ft-Moving-Truck-Rental/DC/
A 15 ft. truck has a towing capacity of 10,000 lbs.

The U-Haul trucks may be capable, but some quick Googling on the topic is bringing up several other discussion forums (related to towing personal boats, horse trailers, etc.) that have stated U-Haul and similar companies don't want you towing any trailer that isn't rented by them.  A quick call to your local office will probably confirm this.

One good idea that was mentioned for hiring a person to tow is UShip.com ... I've never used it but have heard good things in the past.  It's kinda like Uber for cargo.  You get online and post what you have and where you want it to go, and providers will contact you with shipping quotes.  Sometimes those shippers are companies with room on their trucks to fill (in the case of cargo and not necessarily an RV), some are individuals who may already be traveling that way, etc.  It's probably then up to you to review their feedback and verify that they are insured appropriately.

I heard about this a couple years ago when the service was pretty new.  A buddy's friend was constantly driving between Chicago and St. Louis for trade shows, so he also became a Uship provider and would transport small cargo between those areas.  I was told that he made a little money doing it, and almost always at least paid for his gas.

We leased an F-350 box truck from Penski a few years ago to move my Son from Salt Lake City to Houston.  It had a gas 5.4 engine in it.  If there was a head wind, it wouldn't hole 70mph and was really weak at higher altitudes.  Not nearly enough power to to pull anything significant.  Much bigger truck would be required, if they allow it.

Hey, what is 5/16 of an inch between friends????  ;) ;)

I knew it was NOT 2", but 2 5/??.  I also knew someone would correct me.

Thanks, Rene

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dhoehn02
Back
Top Bottom