Towing a Jeep

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

johntk

I have a 1999 Cherokee Sport that I want to tow on a two wheel dolly with my motorhome.
Other than installing a brake controller, strapping the front wheels securely to the dolly, and putting the transfer case in neutral, is there anything else I need to do or precautions I should take before or during towing?

Also, I'm interested in opinions concerning two wheel dollies vs. flat towing.

Thanks,
John

Flat towing is more convenient, but plenty of folks use dollies too.  Whatever you prefer, I guess.

Your Cherokee is flat-towable, so that's what most people do with them.

Better read you owners manual, if I remember correctly the Jeep cannot be towed on a dolly even with the transfer case in neutral. We flat towed several different Jeeps for years and towed using a dolly before that. Flat towing is by far the best way.

We towed our Wrangler 4 down. We had no desire to buy a tow dolly, load/unload and store it at camp. Tow bars are much easier.

I have also done it both ways.... & if you haven't already purchased a dollie get a towbar & skip the dollie.  Like others state is's a LOT easier to use a dollie & also easier in the campgrounds since you do not have to deal with where to park the dollie.  The only reason (I feel) to use a dollie is if your vehicle cannot be towed with all 4 on the ground.

When you're in campgrounds and see the hassles people go through with dollies you wouldn't want one unless there was no other choice.  We towed our Grand Cherokee four-down on numerous long trips.

As someone else said, get out Jeep manual and see what it says about towing.  It's the only authoritative source.

ArdraF

johntk said:
I have a 1999 Cherokee Sport that I want to tow on a two wheel dolly with my motorhome.
Other than installing a brake controller, strapping the front wheels securely to the dolly, and putting the transfer case in neutral, is there anything else I need to do or precautions I should take before or during towing?

Also, I'm interested in opinions concerning two wheel dollies vs. flat towing.
Thanks,John

Why do you want to use a dolly?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gurrenteed
Back
Top Bottom