Towing a Smart car or not

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ADCD52

As we increase our outings, we are exploring options for transportation for getting food and going out for meals once we are camping...so far we disconnect the MH and upon return reconnect including leveling...
Question should we tow a 2 sitter Smart car or are there other options PLEASE ADVISE AND THANKS IN ADVANCE

When shopping for a small light cheap TOAD weighing under 2,500 pounds (self imposed limit) a couple of years I had initially considered a Smart ForTwo, even test drove one that was at a local used car lot, but quickly removed it from the potential list when I learned there is NO parts availability in the US, when Smart shut down their US dealerships, they also closed their parts distribution and service network. Therefore ALL parts unique to the Smart cars must be ordered from Europe. In the end we ended up buying a 2007 Toyota Yaris 3 door hatchback (Yaris was also made as a 5 door and a sedan), ours weighs in just under 2,300 pounds with manual transmission. (automatic is not flat towable), we also have 4,300 pound Jeep Cherokee TOAD, but it is much less pleasant to tow than the Yaris, which I barely know is back there on our coach.

They are well supported in Canada. Not so much in the US. We loved our smart cars and they were very reliable. But Careful.

One more comment on the Yaris, I have been amazed at how cheap and readily available parts are compared to our other cars, while the Yaris was not that popular in the US it shares lots of mechanical parts with other Toyotas like the Corolla and Rav4, it also had few mechanical changes from 2007-2019. Also worldwide the Yaris is one of the most produced car in the world, making for great 3rd party aftermarket parts support.

FYI, Kia is having theft issues

'Kia and Hyundai cars manufactured without the immobilizers between 2015 and 2020, especially lower-end models like the Accent, Rio, and Sportage, are especially vulnerable. A lawsuit filed by dozens of insurance companies against Kia and Hyundai allege the lack of immobilizers violated federal regulations.Aug 28, 2023'

Chevy Spark or Sonic were very small/light and - don't quote me - certain ones can be flat towed.

Are you asking "should we tow a car?" Or when we tow, should it be a smart for Two?

Bringing a toad (towed car) is very convenient but expensive to do the initial setup. Whether to tow a Smart or something different is a different question, e.g. is it a suitable car for your travel needs, is it a reliable & serviceable vehicle, and what alternatives are feasible within your weight and cost budgets? I would think there are a number of choices. Do you have to stay under 3000 lbs? Will you dolly tow or flat tow? Is there a fixed $ budget limit?

Sorry but what is the difference between dolly and flat tow plus which is best...budget wise flexible for best solution.
Thanks

To follow that up, I want to say that deals can be found on used TOAD cars, for example our Yaris was bought just under 3 years ago, it was a 1 owner car bought for TOAD duty when new in 2006, the lady I bought it from always had it serviced at the local Toyota dealer, had towed it through I think 38 states behind 2 different motorhomes, before downsizing to a smaller 23-24 ft Born Free Class C. It has its share of minor cosmetic dings, faded upholstery, and is rather high mileage at over 200,000 miles when I bought it, now at about 235,000, price was only $2,500 (original asking was $3,500, she was down to asking $2,800 when I spotted the ad on facebook marketplace), I immediately put about $350 into it, replaced the cracked plastic tail lights, added LED headlights, new wiper blades, replaced the stereo (volume control knob was flaky), ignition switch (key sticking, worn component), etc. A few months later installed new front shocks and springs $150, new front wheel bearings $50, then last spring the air conditioner failed, while having it replaced the shop found the radiator had a slow leak, $1,500 later it has new Air conditioner compressor, condenser and new radiator. Last summer I replaced the alternator, and belt, and I think that is it, so under $3,000 to buy and get through the first year / 12,000 miles (my son used it as a daily driver for over a month commuting 100 miles per day while his car was in the shop being repaired from a collision), then another $1,700 or so in maintenance since then.

Sorry but what is the difference between dolly and flat tow plus which is best...budget wise flexible for best solution.
Thanks
Many cars can be dolly towed with the front tires off the ground, that can't be flat towed, good tow dollies can be bought new for around $2,500 - $3,200, used for less. For flat towing having a shop install base plate, tow bar and braking system typically runs over $4,000 these days depending on exact model, also far fewer cars can be flat towed. Some cars can't be dolly towed, and must be towed with all 4 wheels on a trailer, some can be towed 4 wheels down, but not 2 wheels down, such as our Cherokee. The downside of dolly towing is you have to store the dolly somewhere at your destination, and putting the car on the dolly tends to require crawling on the ground to hook up safety chains, tow straps, etc. and tends to take longer than connecting a flat towable car. In our case my wife and I working together can easily connect or disconnect our Yaris in under 5 minutes (Jeep Cherokee take a bit longer due to need to push buttons and flip switches to put it into / out of towing mode, with the Yaris it is put gear shift in neutral and release the hand brake). From what I have seen watching others in campground dolly setup seems to take 15-20 minutes, maybe more, though some claim they can do it just as fast as flat towing hookup, to that I say an Indy pit crew can change 4 wheels and top up on gas in 10 seconds too.

Having read the difference we are considering tow with all 4 tires down...pros and cons please???

We towed one time with a tow dolly from Az to lower Florida. Was overall easy to load and it followed the Class C well. Pain was when getting into and out of some rv sites. If we wanted to unload the car from the dolly we had to find a place to put the dolly in the park. Not all sites were accomadating for a dolly. Switched to four down towing and will not go back to a dolly. So much easier for everything.

A Smartfor2 is small enough to be put on a trailer, and the trailer would be useful around the house as a utility trailer.

This is what can happen when you flat tow a Smart car.

Cannot find it now, but I used to have a pic. The trailer for this is an Aluma 6810H for which you can buy side boards, etc. The Smart car positions on it so the doors open and the trailer weighs 580 lb, a few pounds more if you add brakes.

You add a hitch to the Smart Car and this allows you to easily move the trailer around also.

I researched this when I had my Winnebago View.

img_3464207_0_3172f0a4c6fb7c506a8e49784d9fa826.jpg

Charles

Last edited:
Having read the difference we are considering tow with all 4 tires down...pros and cons please???
Depends on the car you tow too. Our toad is a 2700 lbs Cavalier and flat towing is fine. 24 years ago I towed my daughter's 1988 Honda Civic hundreds of miles on a dolly. After fighting the sway I swore I'd never do that again. Being lightweight with a short wheelbase raising the front on a dolly forced the airflow under the car and made it try to go airborne over 50 mph. Maybe I should have tried 75 mph. It might have never touched the ground and been easier to tow :)

Cons -

1 - The towing gear setup is unique to the towed vehicle. If the vehicle is changed the tow gear has to be replaced.
2 - Many, many vehicles cannot be flat towed - even among same make & model of differing years
3 - If the towed vehicle needs braking the system to do so can be complex and maybe invasive to the native braking/lighting system

Pros
1 - Probably the quickest to hook up and get going.
2 - Maybe the most stable tow
3 - Very little "gear" to stow at campsites.

I would dolly tow because I have many other uses for a dolly and I have the flexibility to tow just about anything. I waited a few months until a very good condition dolly came up for sale. I only paid about $700 for my dolly.

Behind the RV I primarily towed my bike trailer. I never had an issue storing my trailer at any RV parks.

1707836050309.png

Thanks
A tow dolly is a tiny trailer designed to carry the front wheels of the towed car. It's very useful for towing front-drive vehicles, which is a high percentage these days. It's less expensive than rigging a car for 4-wheels-down (flat) towing and the car doesn't require any modifications, so its great if you have more than one vehicle you may want to tow or expect to change vehicles periodically. The downside is it is somewhat less convenient, especially for older or infirm owners who may have difficulty getting down to strap the car to the dolly and hook up safety chains. Also, some campsites and homes may lack room to store the dolly when not in use.

What's "best" is highly subjective. If the cars you already own are not flat-towable, a dolly may be the only practical solution for you. And budget is a big factor as well. But if you have or can buy a vehicle that is flat-towable and the budget can handle it, most owners find that method is preferable.

We have had a few smart cars over the years, including a diesel and a fully electric. We always transported them on a trailer. Easy to back up. Very versatile.

IMG_1181.png

If it is soooo schmart just tell it where you are going and let it meet you there.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom