Towing a toy hauler with an F 150

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vincent

I just acquired a 2005 Ford F 150 with the 5.4 liter engine and towing package.  It has a rating of 9900 lb. towing with a weight distributing hitch.  I was planning to buy a toy hauler trailer to haul my race car to races.  The car weighs 2100 lb. and is 13 ft long.  The trailers we have been looking at are 26 ft and have a gross weight near the limit of the truck.  My son, who has owned two toy haulers and currently has a one-ton dually, claims that my truck isn't capable of handling a 9900 lb. trailer.  To prove it we hooked up his 30 ft. 3-axle trailer to my truck and tried it.  He claims his trailer has an unloaded wt of 8000 lb.  It was a struggle.  I wouldn't want to haul it very far. 
So--is he right and Ford over-rates the truck?  Or is it possible that his trailer weighs more than he thinks?
We live in southern California where weather isn't a factor but we have long, steep hills and heavy winds sometimes.

Can't comment on Ford over rating their trucks nor can I comment on the weight of your son's trailer.  However, I can tell you I tow a 33' Puma 30DBSS TT with my '07 1500 4dr. crew cab Sierra with the 6.0 Liter Vortec Max.  I've weighed everything out and have consulted with several of the guys in this forum.  I'm not over on weight limit, but much closer than I'd like to be.  The 6.0 Liter pulls it fine, but the wheelbase of the truck is a little short to be pulling a TT that long --- something in my opinion you should seriously consider, especially with a toy hauler because you've got additional weight in the rear.  The problem I run into is even with a weight distribution hitch and the bars, the sway is significant especially when an 18 wheeler comes by.  We only tow locally and I never run over 55mph, so it's not to much of a problem -- but it does make me nervous. I can't imaging pulling a toy hauler with that much weight in the rear without at least a 2500 -- and I'd prefer a 3500 dually because of the added stability the dual rear wheels provide. 

I have the same truck and i tow my 8200lb (scaled weight) 5th wheel with it, it works pretty hard  but will stay in top gear at 65 on flat lands. I also monitor my trans temp and haven't seem it get too high either. I also had the electrical come unplugged in Ill. and had to stop on truck brakes alone. so I don't think its underrated but i think some people expect that their truck will be the same while towing as when not.

vincent said:
I just acquired a 2005 Ford F 150 with the 5.4 liter engine and towing package.  It has a rating of 9900 lb. towing with a weight distributing hitch. 

9900 lbs if it is the regular cab and 2WD.

I was planning to buy a toy hauler trailer to haul my race car to races.  The car weighs 2100 lb. and is 13 ft long.  The trailers we have been looking at are 26 ft and have a gross weight near the limit of the truck.

Not a great idea with that gas engined truck.   We recommend that in the mountain and Pacific West, normally-aspirated, gas-engined truck tow ratings be discounted 20% to allow for those grades and the altitudes that you can encounter out here.  (I live in West LA, I know.)   That discount would bring your maximum towable trailer GVWR to 7920 lbs.

My son, who has owned two toy haulers and currently has a one-ton dually, claims that my truck isn't capable of handling a 9900 lb. trailer.  To prove it we hooked up his 30 ft. 3-axle trailer to my truck and tried it.  He claims his trailer has an unloaded wt of 8000 lb.  It was a struggle.  I wouldn't want to haul it very far. 
So--is he right and Ford over-rates the truck? 

For the mountain and Pacific west -- yes.   Altitude eats up rated horsepower at the rate of 3% per each 1,000 feet above sea level.   At Gorman you lose 12% of your rating.  For that matter most any place in the Mojave you have lost that.   And then there are those wonderful grades like the Grapevine or Cajon.

Or is it possible that his trailer weighs more than he thinks?

If he has not scaled the thing and is using the mfr's "base weight", it is very likely.

9900 lbs if it is the regular cab and 2WD.

To get to 9900 it also has to have the optional 4.10 axle, which few F150's do. With the standard axle it could be as little as 6900 lbs.

So, we FIRST need to learn the exact configuration of Vincent's F150. It is very likely more like 7800-8100 lbs rather than the 9900 he expects.

For detailed info on F150 tow capacity, see the 2005 Ford F150 tow guide here:
https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/rv_trailer_towing/2005/2005_F150.pdf

I suspect when all the facts are known you will find this truck is not up to that much load. Especially if you will tow at altitudes much above 1500 feet. You may also find it is consistently at higher RPMs because like most engines that size, the 5.4L doesn't get its full torque & HP until well up into its RPM range. The 5.4L is better than some, though, claiming 80% of peak torque as low as 1000 RPMs.

I have a 2006 f150 super crew 9200 tow cap. we regularly pull a 8000 pound horse trailer and the truck is loaded with supplies and every seat is full. We tow in the hills of upstate NY, excellent control and plenty of power (300 hp), 50 hp more then my DP motor home and half the weight.

Thanks to all who replied to this post.  Your information was quite helpful.  After careful consideration of all input, including my wife and son's, I have decided to scrap the idea of a toy hauler and rent a motor home for the races.  I still have plenty of uses for the truck.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fth
Back
Top Bottom