Towing a toyota tacoma

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dutch

Hello everyone. We just bought our first rv and we love it. I am wanting to tow our 2001 Toyota tacoma 4x4 automatic truck with all 4 wheels down if possible. I see alot of 4x4 jeeps done this way. Can anyone give some info on this. Thanks I love the forum. Dutch

Hi Dutch and welcome.

Assuming that your motorhome has the towing capacity to handle the Tacoma, you'll need to verify the Tacoma can be towed all 4 down. Remco are the experts who will know if the Tacoma can be towed without further modification. Most 4x4s can be towed and the procedure should be explained in your owners manual.

You'll also need the following:

• Tow bar such as Roadmaster or Blue Ox.
  • Base plate, from same company as tow bar.
  • Auxiliary braking system for the Tacoma; Click here for a a few examples of what's available.
  • Hookups for the lights on the Tacoma.
[edit]Link update[/edit]

Welcome to the RV Forum. Please look around the forum,  join in on any of the on going discussions, start new discussions, or ask questions. Thanks for joining us.

I recently set my mind on a Nissan Armada but found I could not tow it 4 down so I switched to Toyota and found the same thing.  Wound up by a Jeep Grand Cherokee.  Hope you have better luck than I did.  Perhaps it can be done but at what expense?  JMHO

The Tacoma, according to Remco, is towable but needs a drive shaft disconnect.  See here for the Vehicle towing charts.

If the car you like, the Tacoma, is towable with a drive shaft disconnect, I'd say go for it. I've had a drive shaft disconnect on my towed for over 5 years now and it works fine. Just as easy or easier than the Jeeps. It has been trouble free except for when I broke the disconnect collar while off roading and Remco came thru delivering a newly built replacement in only 2 days.

Thanks everyone for all the responses. The links will be very helpful. My biggest problem has been finding out if that vehicle can be towed or not. I havn't found any RV dealer or trailer hitch dealer that would give me a yes or no answer. I will check with Remco. Thanks again so much.
Dutch

Yep  you guys are right  I was thinking along the lines of not having to use a disconnect nor lube pump.  I didn't want to do that .  Hence, we bought a 4 whl dr Jeep  Took it for a drive yesterday and it surprised me as to how well it handles and rides.

Dutch said:
Thanks everyone for all the responses. The links will be very helpful. My biggest problem has been finding out if that vehicle can be towed or not. I havn't found any RV dealer or trailer hitch dealer that would give me a yes or no answer. I will check with Remco. Thanks again so much.
Dutch

Best place to get this information on towing and what can be towed is Remco thet=y are the specialests and much more reliable than a dealer.

Most four wheel drive vehicles with a swithable transfer case can be towed four down.  If it doesn't have a nutral switch for the transfer case usally means the drive shaft disconnected and maybe the lube pump.  With our towing capacity only 4000lbs we went with the Jeep Wrangler.  Then the AWD Explorer had problems and the wife fell in love with the Grand Cherokee and that can be towed four down.  She liked the looks of the new Jeep Compass but it can't be towed four down and I think that is the only Jeep built that way.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom