Towing mirrors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nomadb1

Towing my TT with a 2004 Yukon XL and need to invest in a way to see around it esp for changing lanes and backing up. There's lots of options out there and I was hoping someone could save me some trial-n-error $ with some earned experiences.

Are you looking for removable ones to add/remove when towing, or a permanent upgrade for your Yukon? I'd recommend the permanent type.

The problem with most add-ons is that they vibrate, often enough that the view is unusable. Hensley offers the McKesh portable mirror that works reasonable well, but its big and clunky looking.

You can get GM original tow-mirrors at http://www.1aauto.com/mirror-pair/i/1amrp01356
The heated & powered version is also available, for about 2x the price.

as Gary says you can get the Gm style mirrors or for $76 get the Cipa ones thay just slip over the factory ones and tighen with a clamp they work well

http://products.cipausa.com/product-category/towing/?__hssc=&__hstc=&__hsfp=3729608380&hsCtaTracking=e46a23e9-07f8-49a2-a591-fe69a24a13f5%7Ceb7df5e1-b4a4-479c-9f1a-1b258f986251?searchfilter=true&make=5&model=40&syear=758

click on the link  cheers

The CIPA slide-on are junk. The mirrors are tiny, just one step above having no mirror at all.

If you're going to have the truck for a while, invest in a good set of mirrors.

This is GREAT info! My wife is all about the cheap ones,  I'm all about "I want the ones that work well".  I think we'll probably end up somewhere in the middle.  I wonder what my odds of finding some factory tow mirrors in the junk yard?

Nomadb1 said:
This is GREAT info! My wife is all about the cheap ones,  I'm all about "I want the ones that work well".  I think we'll probably end up somewhere in the middle.  I wonder what my odds of finding some factory tow mirrors in the junk yard?

I would think it would be pretty simple to find a local salvage yard with them. 

I bought cheep tow mirrors.      Their are more or less decorations. As the vibration make it almost impossible to really see anything

CIPA has pretty well had the market for years because the mounting keeps them from vibrating. Each model is different based on the mirror of the vehicle, so HappyWanderer's complaint may be valid for one model, but not another. Generally, the bigger your mirror now, the bigger the extensionsame will be.

We've also gotten great feedback on the newer Aero brand clamp on mirrors. Between the solid clamp mounts and the aerodynamic design, apparently there is very little vibration.

I have a pair of the slide-on CIPA mirrors on my 97 Suburban. I don't get any vibration. Not as big as a lost of the other towing mirrors out there, but they have served me well.

I always have a spotter when I am backing up, so mainly used for driving.

pondguy said:
I have a pair of the slide-on CIPA mirrors on my 97 Suburban. I don't get any vibration. Not as big as a lost of the other towing mirrors out there, but they have served me well.

I always have a spotter when I am backing up, so mainly used for driving.

Those would be the same ones I would need for my 95 ... did you purchase yours direct from CIPA, or elsewhere?

While I like the idea of permanent tow mirrors, they cost $140-170 for my vehicle and don't make a lot of sense for a weekend/vacationer like me who is not towing the RV all the time.

EDIT: I think I answered my own question on where to buy the CIPA 10200 for my Suburban.  A pair is only $38 on Amazon!  (compared to $67 direct from CIPA.)

My first choice would be permanent installed GM mirrors.  Second choice is the Hensley McKesh mirrors, which were the best add-on mirrors I have ever used, solid, stupidly easy and quick to install and remove and very good visibility.  The downside is as Gary indicated they are big and clunky looking. 

Gizmo said:
My first choice would be permanent installed GM mirrors.  Second choice is the Hensley McKesh mirrors, which were the best add-on mirrors I have ever used, solid, stupidly easy and quick to install and remove and very good visibility.  The downside is as Gary indicated they are big and clunky looking. 
Oh wow, I didn't realize anybody still made those beasts! Hensley has always had such a penchant for over engineering.

I use the Grand Aero clip-on tow mirrors available at Costco among other places. They attach firmly and stay put, without little to no vibration. They;re also adjustable for extension and mirror orientation, so its possible to play around with them to get the best view.

Thanks for all your input. Bought a set of these today - after finding out that GM wants 275$ for the parts for my auto tilt mirror motor! Amazon had some returnees so it just made sense.  Happy trails!

This topic always makes me chuckle when it comes up. People invest tens of thousands of dollars on a tow vehicle and trailer, then hit the road without the one tool that allows them to see what is happening behind them.

I solved vibration problem with cipa mirrors by stuffing soft foam behind as a damper. Worked great!

MI.MARK said:
I solved vibration problem with cipa mirrors by stuffing soft foam behind as a damper. Worked great!

All the CIPA mirrors I've seen ship with foam inserts. I think a lot of times people don't see them jammed in the packaging. Good point and maybe this will help somebody not accidentally dispose of them.

I have these and they work as described.  No vibration and easy to mount and take off.  I used them on an F-250.

http://www.amazon.com/JR-Products-2912-Towing-Mirror/dp/B0095TC6I6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1460752740&sr=8-1&keywords=grand+aero+towing+mirrors

NickB said:
All the CIPA mirrors I've seen ship with foam inserts. I think a lot of times people don't see them jammed in the packaging. Good point and maybe this will help somebody not accidentally dispose of them.

I just bought a set of CIPA mirrors from Amazon based on this thread, and mine have a small stick-on piece of foam on the "wedge" for the back of each mirror.  I can see how this small piece may not be sufficient for all vibration, although I haven't tried them yet.

Mark what kind of supplemental foam add-in did you use?

Back
Top Bottom