Towing with a 2000 Astro Van

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just an update:
cerd - talked with my mechanic friend... He said there isn't anything wrong with my springs, he thought it sat just fine for an Astro and wasn't sure why I wanted to do all that work..... he suggested I buy tow shocks or air shocks, If I felt there was too much bounch.... (I'm pricing those this week)

He agreed that LT tires would help ease the bounce in the ride... He wasn't sure I could find my tire size in an LT (I did find it online) offered me a good price to put new LTs on the van if I wanted to go that route and he couldn't find me any....
The existing "touring" tires are less then 9 months old... so I really don't want to spend that $, but if it makes me safer for overall driving, I will do what I need too.

He had lots of good things to say about my WDH .... He didn't think I needed to do shocks or tires, but he said if it made me feel better to drive it, he would help me out.

Good to know. Is there any chance you have a video of it swaying? I am curious how bad it actually sways.

Another thing you could do is hook it up and see if the mechanic would be willing to take 5 mins and go on a drive with you so he can give you a better idea of how to solve it, if there is anything left to do.

One thing that will cause trailer sway even in a properly set-up unit is the habit of moving the steering wheel back and forth slightly while driving down the road.  Many drivers do this unconsciously, correcting as they notice the vehicle drifting towards one side of the lane, then correcting again as it drifts towards the opposite side.

This makes the trailer appear to sway as it's change in direction lags that of the towing vehicle.

You should be able to hold the steering wheel stationary so the car goes straight down the road and the trailer tracks directly behind.  This takes some practice and may require bracing your arm against an armrest or the door to anchor your hand in place.

Lou Schneider said:
One thing that will cause trailer sway even in a properly set-up unit is the habit of moving the steering wheel back and forth slightly while driving down the road.  Many drivers do this unconsciously, correcting as they notice the vehicle drifting towards one side of the lane, then correcting again as it drifts towards the opposite side.

This makes the trailer appear to sway as it's change in direction lags that of the towing vehicle.

You should be able to hold the steering wheel stationary so the car goes straight down the road and the trailer tracks directly behind.  This takes some practice and may require bracing your arm against an armrest or the door to anchor your hand in place.

I noticed this happening when I went from driving a regular full size pickup  to a Jeep Wrangler on a daily basis.  Took a couple of weeks to quit weaving all over the road due to the responsiveness of the short-coupled Jeep vs. the truck.

Lou Schneider said:

OMG!! I didn't even think about this!!
My husband says I wander all over the road and hug the white line when towing.....
I'm going to be testing this without the trailer over the next couple of days...
Thank you

cerd said:
Good to know. Is there any chance you have a video of it swaying? I am curious how bad it actually sways.

Another thing you could do is hook it up and see if the mechanic would be willing to take 5 mins and go on a drive with you so he can give you a better idea of how to solve it, if there is anything left to do.

I'm not sure it is so much a "sway" as a bounciness...
I am going to monitor my own driving style as suggested as well....

I'm really looking to reduce my driving fatigue as this 12-15hour trip from Windsor, Ontario to Springfield, Massachusetts  will feel a lot longer if I'm exhausted...

Yes, I like the idea of taking my mechanic friend for a ride (if he has time...) He did say I was looking at all the right areas to work on ....

SarniaTricia said:
I'm really looking to reduce my driving fatigue as this 12-15hour trip from Windsor, Ontario to Springfield, Massachusetts  will feel a lot longer if I'm exhausted...

That long of a drive wears me out driving my Yukon XL without a trailer.  Please try and take 2 days.  Everything is slower when pulling a trailer, everything....

I know your mechanic friend said that your Astro sat fine.  The problem is, old springs take less weight to flex, not nice and stern like new and that could be causing your bounciness.  Do you plan to keep the Astro for these adventures, OR possibly upgrade to a pickup or SUV?

muskoka guy said:
Im not sure if you have ever seen this demo, but check it out. Cheers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2fkOVHAC8Q

YES!!
Makes you really look at how everything is arranged inside the camper!!
Thank you

spencerpj said:
That long of a drive wears me out driving my Yukon XL without a trailer.  Please try and take 2 days.  Everything is slower when pulling a trailer, everything....

I know your mechanic friend said that your Astro sat fine.  The problem is, old springs take less weight to flex, not nice and stern like new and that could be causing your bounciness.  Do you plan to keep the Astro for these adventures, OR possibly upgrade to a pickup or SUV?

I have left a window of two days to get to Massachusetts ...I'm leaving early Thursday morning and I don't need to be there until late afternoon Saturday.  I've told my travel partner that if I need to stop I will... I would switch off with her, but last time she drove my van (with me in it) I was more stressed then rested!! She puts her foot on the floor and she bobbed and weaved through traffic like a race car.... If she drove like that with a trailer..... she will kill us both!! NOT taking that chance!!

Yes, I am seriously considering trading up to a Pick-up... I love this van, but it really doesn't cover all my needs... I have to tarp the back seriously to haul hay, move chickens/turkey to the butcher, and going and getting mulch for garden beds isn't possible without a pick-up... I'm not sure I can get the van traded up prior to this trip, but I'm going to post on our local area and see if I can get a trade safety/e-tested in trade for a safety/e-tested pick-up....

SarniaTricia said:
If she drove like that with a trailer..... she will kill us both!! NOT taking that chance!!

Wise choice, her and my wife would get along great, hence I do the driving, lol

SarniaTricia said:
Yes, I am seriously considering trading up to a Pick-up... I love this van, but it really doesn't cover all my needs... I have to tarp the back seriously to haul hay, move chickens/turkey to the butcher, and going and getting mulch for garden beds isn't possible without a pick-up... I'm not sure I can get the van traded up prior to this trip, but I'm going to post on our local area and see if I can get a trade safety/e-tested in trade for a safety/e-tested pick-up....

Sounds like a good plan, your Astro will be fine, just take it slower than usual.  A pickup does sound like it would better fit your life..  Better start campaigning for one with the hubby.

Not sure what safety/e-tested is, I can assume, but I'll call it a northern thing  ;)

spencerpj said:
Sounds like a good plan, your Astro will be fine, just take it slower than usual.  A pickup does sound like it would better fit your life..  Better start campaigning for one with the hubby.

Well..... A little update...

Hubby kinda just holds on and rolls with it!!
I "get things done" and then he finds out about it!
Life with me is not BORING!! lol

I put the Astro for trade on our local Kijiji ..... Got a response from a guy with a 2001 GMC Sierra single cab, long box, has hitch and power, 4.8L, v8....
His wife had a baby and she sent him my add.... he has been looking for the right "family vehicle" for a while... he's throwing in trailer brake system (my trailer doesn't have trailer breaks) and suspension air bags.... The only thing is .... I think my Astro is rated to pull more then the truck?? (5,000lbs) and I need to buy a cap (rabbits are not fond of riding in the wind and rain)

You guys are awesome!!
Thank you for all your helpful suggestions and advice....  I've got a bit of time to think about this as these are our daily drivers and we need to get safety for each other and get together to look each others vehicles over...

Any comments on the truck would be appreciated:

The truck...
If things go well.... I will try and find a cap for the back... kinda hoping to find another colour to add to this "look"
;D ;)

Attachments

• Truck 4.png
    Truck 4.png
    276.9 KB · Views: 11
I have a 2004 GMC YukonXL, 5.3 L, 150,000 miles, I like it. I find it dependable and easy to work on.

Trading for a used 17 year old truck ??  Could your mechanic friend give you a professional opinion?  Do you think the guy would let you connect your trailer and see how it does?  How many miles on it?  Does he keep maintenance records?  Will a single cab meet your everyday needs, family needs, rabbit needs (it can get cold in the bed,  ???)

I'm not trying to scare you... Just hate for you to get a different set of problems.   

And a cap, color, you're a practical lady, I'm guessing the bargain outweighs the color  ;)

spencerpj said:
Trading for a used 17 year old truck ??
2001 would be newer than the 2000 that they would be trading. As long as mileage is similar, its a pretty even trade.

spencerpj said:
I have a 2004 GMC YukonXL, 5.3 L, 150,000 miles, I like it. I find it dependable and easy to work on.

Trading for a used 17 year old truck ??  Could your mechanic friend give you a professional opinion?  Do you think the guy would let you connect your trailer and see how it does?  How many miles on it?  Does he keep maintenance records?  Will a single cab meet your everyday needs, family needs, rabbit needs (it can get cold in the bed,  ???)

I'm not trying to scare you... Just hate for you to get a different set of problems.   

And a cap, color, you're a practical lady, I'm guessing the bargain outweighs the color  ;)

The Van is 18 years old... just got a text and mileage on both vehicles are fairly similar (mine 250,000 his 286,000 KMs)....
I will definitely be giving it a test drive.... and seeing if my mechanic friend can give it a look over, before I make a final decision.

I was thinking a lot about the trading one set of problems for another set of problems.... but, I'm hoping that the truck wouldn't be worse then the van to pull (my step son's 1500 has non of the issues the van does while pulling)
I would have the ability to haul hay and yards of mulch (I have to borrow a friend's truck) also, have you ever had 50 live chickens inside of a van taking them to the butcher?? (1.5 hour drive) Let's just say I have (close to) a dead nose.. thank god!... slinkiest trip I have done!!

Often it is just me or me and one other driving.. I have had the seats out of the van more often then in... The mismatched colour will also keep kids (18 and 21) from borrowing it! My step-daughter said she wouldn't know me if I drove up in that!! lol... excellent!! lol

Storage could be cured with a cap and bunnies don't mind the cold... the heat is my biggest concern... thinking I could install a split rear window in the cab and a split front window in the cap and get a window fan that runs off the cigarette lighter?? pull air conditioning into the back? still in the thinking stage for this...

I did see a used 8ft cap with ladder rails too.. so, I could always add to the top if bringing home (new, without rabbits in it) cages from shows....

The deal is we both get our own vehicles safeties... (I'm not sure if you do this in the south  ;))
This means that a licenced mechanic needs to review/sign off on a list from the MTO and make sure the vehicle complies with this list... tire tread, steering, brakes, etc... all have to be in good working order....

I appreciate all the worries you brought up... I have made a list of pros for the van and truck.... if the truck checks out, I feel like I will get more use from it then I currently do the van... and (If this guy isn't feeding me a line) I will be helping someone else who needs a van!
(I'll have to re-do my WDH again - Hand to forehead  ;D)

Please don't hesitate to mention other issues you think need attention.... Thank you!!
Going to google a check list and have all my ducks in a row for our meeting next week.

cerd said:
2001 would be newer than the 2000 that they would be trading. As long as mileage is similar, its a pretty even trade.

I agree.  But she knows her Astro is mechanically decent.

The Van is 18 years old... I can't remember what he told me about the mileage....
I will definitely be giving it a test drive.... and seeing if my mechanic friend can give it a look over, before I make a final decision. Great Plan

I was thinking a lot about the trading one set of problems for another set of problems.... but, I'm hoping that the truck wouldn't be worse then the van to pull (my step son's 1500 has non of the issues the van does while pulling) I think this PU would pull it nicely as well

I would have the ability to haul hay and yards of mulch (I have to borrow a friend's truck) also, have you ever had 50 live chickens inside of a van taking them to the butcher?? (1.5 hour drive) Let's just say I have (close to) a dead nose.. thank god!... slinkiest trip I have done!!  You definitely got me on that, but thanks for the crazy mental picture  :)

Often it is just me or me and one other driving.. I have had the seats out of the van more often then in... The mismatched colour will also keep kids (18 and 21) from borrowing it! My step-daughter said she wouldn't know me if I drove up in that!! lol... excellent!! lol  Haha

Storage could be cured with a cap and bunnies don't mind the cold... the heat is my biggest concern... thinking I could install a split rear window in the cab and a split front window in the cap and get a window fan that runs off the cigarette lighter?? pull air conditioning into the back? still in the thinking stage for this... Many caps have sliding windows, you could create a breeze. I'm sure it gets hotter in Indianapolis than where you are from 

I did see a used 8ft cap with ladder rails too.. so, I could always add to the top if bringing home (new, without rabbits in it) cages from shows....

The deal is we both get our own vehicles safeties... (I'm not sure if you do this in the south  ;)Trading vehicles, Not as the norm, some states have more rules than others about inspections.
This means that a licenced mechanic needs to review/sign off on a list from the MTO and make sure the vehicle complies with this list... tire tread, steering, brakes, etc... all have to be in good working order....

I appreciate all the worries you brought up... I have made a list of pros for the van and truck.... if the truck checks out, I feel like I will get more use from it then I currently do the van... and (If this guy isn't feeding me a line.) Typical man, lol  I will be helping someone else who needs a van!
(I'll have to re-do my WDH again - Hand to forehead  ;D)  Good practice  :p

Please don't hesitate to mention other issues you think need attention.... Thank you!!
Going to google a check list and have all my ducks (I thought you had rabbits  ;D)  in a row for our meeting next week.

Good luck, I hope it works out for you.  Did he say why he replaced the bed?  had it been in an accident?

My question, too.  Why is the bed a different color?  Was it in an accident?  Where was it hit (i.e left rear corner)?  How bad was the damage?  Who fixed it?

I have no problem with a vehicle that was wrecked as long as a COMPETENT mechanic made the repairs and MY mechanic looks it over.  A bent frame can be bent back, but you do not want it if the proper repairs were not completed.

According to NADA, the truck retail value is almost $1000 US more than the van, based on base trim, no options on both vehicles and 2WD.  However if you van trade for even exchange, I think you both win.  Just get the chicken odor out before he drives it  ;D

FWIW, dad and I cleaned 50 rabbits one day, but we did it ourselves at home.  Dad hit them in the neck and removed the head and brought it downstairs (outside steps), I skinned and dressed, grandma cut them up and bagged them for freezing.  Kept the truck clean that way.

grashley said:
My question, too.  Why is the bed a different color?  Was it in an accident?  Where was it hit (i.e left rear corner)?  How bad was the damage?  Who fixed it?

I have no problem with a vehicle that was wrecked as long as a COMPETENT mechanic made the repairs and MY mechanic looks it over.  A bent frame can be bent back, but you do not want it if the proper repairs were not completed.

According to NADA, the truck retail value is almost $1000 US more than the van, based on base trim, no options on both vehicles and 2WD.  However if you van trade for even exchange, I think you both win.  Just get the chicken odor out before he drives it  ;D

FWIW, dad and I cleaned 50 rabbits one day, but we did it ourselves at home.  Dad hit them in the neck and removed the head and brought it downstairs (outside steps), I skinned and dressed, grandma cut them up and bagged them for freezing.  Kept the truck clean that way.

He said he replaced the bed due to rust....
I will be going over things very well... and bringing "the boys" ....

I sell my chicken and rabbit meat at the farmers market, so they need to be processed at a government inspected facility to sell.... I used to do the butchering myself, but I can't keep up with meat rabbit culls from my show line.. (a very good problem to have)
I think it would take a team to do 50 rabbits... I cull same as your dad...

I tarp well when the chickens are in the van... and I clean the inside very well often!! You should have seen Christmas last year bringing the turkeys!! The guy at the butcher's eyes got round and he was shocked that back was full of turkeys.. I tarpped all the way up the front, sides and back - taped the tarp up and all around... and I had almost 20 full grown turkeys in the back with shavings!! lol

spencerpj - have you ever tried to get rabbits in a row? kinda like herding cats!! ducks know how to do a line-up!! lol - I think a truck with a cap is going to look crazier, I will likely just add shavings and toss the birds in the back instead of loading crates.... I'll attach? a bad photo of the back of the van full of turkeys...

Attachments

• turkey in van.png
    turkey in van.png
    109.7 KB · Views: 8

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timothious
Back
Top Bottom