towing with F150

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
found a 2018 F150 super crew with max towing pkg and yellow sticker states combined weight with passengers and cargo 1768 lbs and rear GAWR 3800lbs GVWR 6750lbs is that enough to tow a 25ft TT or toy hauler? (no ATV or motor vehicles)

Hobie1 said:
found a 2018 F150 super crew with max towing pkg and yellow sticker states combined weight with passengers and cargo 1768 lbs and rear GAWR 3800lbs GVWR 6750lbs is that enough to tow a 25ft TT or toy hauler? (no ATV or motor vehicles)
So how much is the weight of the  stuff you going to put in or on the truck?
You, and how many passengers + tools+coolers+ whatever else goes in or on truck. Subtract that from 1768 and that will give you how much tongue weight you can theoretically  handle. So 10%-12%  of Gross trailer weight is placed on the tongue so the left over cargo capacity cannot be more than 12% of the gross trailer weight (not Net weight gross weight).

That's a loaded question  ;)
As Darsben says

Make yourself a list:
2-3 people = _____ lbs
Fuel = _____lbs
Stuff, travel goods = ___lbs
Firewood  etc

How much GROSS will my trailer weigh?  Loaded question.  How much does my lawnmower weigh?  It depends what kind of lawnmower I have, right  ;)

TT at least, a realistic estimate.  We like to say we "Gross' out the trailer, I don't.  My dry is 4500lbs, totally loaded I'm close to 6000lbs

After you get trailer estimated, add the tongue weight in.

A 25' TT, no slides, ya, you can probably do it no problems.  Add slides, adds weight.  And I have no idea what a Toy Hauler weighs.

darsben said:
So how much is the weight of the  stuff you going to put in or on the truck?
You, and how many passengers + tools+coolers+ whatever else goes in or on truck. Subtract that from 1768 and that will give you how much tongue weight you can theoretically  handle. So 10%-12%  of Gross trailer weight is placed on the tongue so the left over cargo capacity cannot be more than 12% of the gross trailer weight (not Net weight gross weight).
assuming trailer is 3200lbs x 11% =352lbs  passengers (2) 360lbs,  cargo: mtn bikes 100lbs, cooler 25 lb, luggage 80lb, books, laptops,cameras,supplies: 100lbs, tools 50lbs  =1067lbs -1768 = 701lb
or trailer at 5500lbs x 11% =605lbs    <  701lbs

Hobie1 said:
assuming trailer is 3200lbs

That will be a 17' trailer.

Find one you would be seriously interested in, find the spec's, and do the math.  I hope the truck you found meets your needs

Your math appears correct.  Add the weight of EVERYTHING you will carry in the truck, including the WD hitch (80#).  If the mountain bikes, tools or luggage go in the camper, they do NOT count against your truck payload.  Make SURE  you use the camper GVWR for your hitch wt calculation, no matter what the salesman says!

You are well on your way to getting it done SAFELY!

grashley said:
Your math appears correct.  Add the weight of EVERYTHING you will carry in the truck, including the WD hitch (80#).  If the mountain bikes, tools or luggage go in the camper, they do NOT count against your truck payload.  Make SURE  you use the camper GVWR for your hitch wt calculation, no matter what the salesman says!

You are well on your way to getting it done SAFELY!
Thank you.  test drove a truck Saturday but dealer wasn't hungry and i wasn't thirsty.  still looking but narrowing it down. ;)

My brothernlaw is retired from Chrysler and gave me his control # to buy new 2019 at factory price. so switching to Dodge Ram 1500 maybe Longhorn Laramie trim. Any body have experience towing with Ram?

I drive a GMC Yukon, and aside from old Mopars, really not a fan of anything Dodge.  Having said that, I have heard nothing but good reviews out of the Dodge Trucks, and of I was in the market for a truck, I would certainly put them in the mix.  They seem to have higher payload available, everything.  And they seem to have a little better offering on the interior.

spencerpj said:
I drive a GMC Yukon, and aside from old Mopars, really not a fan of anything Dodge.  Having said that, I have heard nothing but good reviews out of the Dodge Trucks, and of I was in the market for a truck, I would certainly put them in the mix.  They seem to have higher payload available, everything.  And they seem to have a little better offering on the interior.
ive always liked GMC but they're not keeping up with tech, trany and interiors like Ford and Dodge. Dodge payload is around 1800+ and towing 7500+ on 1/2 ton and decent mpg 19-25

sightseers said:
the Hemi is a great engine.
test drove Dodge Ram Long horn w/5.7L hemi and it was unbelievably quiet,soft and turned easily. sales guy is old, like me, and recommended the Hemi for towing especially going into mountains. said the V6 can do it but itll be a strain at 6k-12k ft altitude. so leaning toward the little V8

Hobie1 said:
test drove Dodge Ram Long horn w/5.7L hemi and it was unbelievably quiet,soft and turned easily. sales guy is old, like me, and recommended the Hemi for towing especially going into mountains. said the V6 can do it but itll be a strain at 6k-12k ft altitude. so leaning toward the little V8

I'm a V8 guy myself  :))

Sounds good, what kind of Tow ability and payload does it have? 

PULLED THE TRIGGER...2019 Ram longhorn 4x2 5.7L Hemi e-torq (hybrid electric stop and start), 8 speed trans, 22in rims, tows up to 9000 lbs and payload 1740lbs with all the bells and high tech whistles, integrated trailer brake controller, backup camera with hitch assist. love the roomy leather interior.  now have to go spend kids inheritance to buy compatible TT,

Hobie1 said:
PULLED THE TRIGGER...2019 Ram longhorn 4x2 5.7L Hemi e-torq (hybrid electric stop and start), 8 speed trans, 22in rims, tows up to 9000 lbs and payload 1740lbs with all the bells and high tech whistles, integrated trailer brake controller, backup camera with hitch assist. love the roomy leather interior.  now have to go spend kids inheritance to buy compatible TT,

Congrats, sounds really nice.  And do spend plenty of the kids inheritance, you earned it  :))

grashley said:
I STRONGLY  suggest the  Max Payload package.  It gives heavier springs, heavier brakes (I think) and heavier tires.  It also gives you an extra 1,000# of payload.  All those high tow ratings were for trucks with this package.  It will have a higher rear end ratio, thus poorer gas mileage, so they may be hard to find.

Those max tow ratings advertising loves to brag about are for a BASE XL model, max tow option and little else.  Two passengers and full gas tank.  No luggage.  No cargo.  And you usually see them pulling a load of lumber or bricks, NOT a camper!  Every pound of weight added in the form of options, passengers, cargo, bigger cab, longer bed, etc must be subtracted from that max tow number.

Honestly, the following is a much better way to evaluate tow capacity.
Find the yellow border placard on the driver door latch post which will state the weight of all passengers and cargo shall not exceed XXXX lbs.  This is the Payload for THAT truck as it left the factory with all options installed.
From this number, subtract the weight of all passengers, cargo, car seats, tool, toys and lumber you will carry in the truck.  Subtract 80# for a WD hitch.  What is left is the max tongue wt you can handle.
Multiply this number by 8 to get the max weight - that is GVWR - of the trailer you can safely tow assuming 12.5% tongue wt.
Multiply max tongue wt by 10 to get the absolute max GVWR trailer you can tow.  This assumes 10% tongue wt, and is the absolute minimum safe tongue wt % (tongue wt / loaded trailer wt X 100%)

Remember also that TT is a BIG sail you are towing behind your truck.  It catches lots of wind from passing trucks or natural gusts of wind that can push you all over the road if the sail is too big, the truck too small or the wind too strong.  The guy who said No Problem has 10 posts, and I never heard of him before.  There are several folks with hundreds of posts who have recommended to keep the length down closer to 25 ft.  I know them.  They know what they are talking about with thousands of towing miles behind their advise.

That is true about the HDPP F-150 Trucks.  I have a 2018 HDPP, S.Crew, XLT, 3.5 EB, 6.5 bed 4x4, and it tows my 37ft, 8,400lbs dry trailer with ease and comfort, and passing semis are a non event, even with full tanks.  My limit regarding wind is 30mph, and partially due to semis being pushed around out of their lanes.  I also get pushed, but I can maintain my lane a lot better than semis, and my trailer doesn't sway or wander around, but if I get pushed, my whole setup get pushed, but as of yet, I haven't gotten pushed around by winds 30 mph or less.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GandalfTheGrey
Back
Top Bottom