Towing with new tires?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
OH HECK NO!
Get the LT tires.  You will not regret it.  Just choose a different brand.  Like I said, had a set of tires once that made my Mitus scary to drive, switched to Michelins and all was good again.  Only thing I can figure is the tire design/construction was not compatible with the Monteros design.

Sorry for the confusion.  Your initial post said 245/75 16

245/70 16 have a diameter of 29.5" and circumference of 145.4".  This is 3.7% smaller.  The 265/75 is 3.4% larger.

Personally, I would go with the larger one if I had the clearance.  Because it is bigger, it will have a higher load carrying capacity.

Lukenick1 said:
Someone told me that it may have been because the tread was so new.  They said new treads will need time to wear down before they feel comfortable on the highway.  Not sure how true that is?  I am so torn up about this.  I don't know what to do.  I just know that I can no longer tow if i feel like that ever again.  My truck felt like it was zig zagging all over the highway.  Very scary experience.

This pretty much is the same as I posted above. You are getting good info on various tire sizes and specs but new tires do take a bit to wear in.  In you case it sounds like it may be excessive like mine was originally.  I have not yet been out on a long trip with mine so I am kind of dreading it. Good luck.

No matter what brand tires you decide to use for replacements, make sure they have a factory warranty. Many of the popular brands will not warranty LT tires when used on a vehicle that has Original Equipment Passenger tires (P), unless they are authorized by the vehicle manufacturer.

How does your truck drive/handle without the trailer?  How does it do with a few hundred pounds of sand in the bed?  Are any of the driving problems you experienced exist without the trailer? 

This problem seems to be worth solving... might wanna call the Yoko Company and get their take on it.

taoshum said:
How does your truck drive/handle without the trailer?  How does it do with a few hundred pounds of sand in the bed?  Are any of the driving problems you experienced exist without the trailer? 

This problem seems to be worth solving... might wanna call the Yoko Company and get their take on it.

Took it for a drive without the trailer and still felt it on the highway but obviously not as bad as with the trailer.  I was having to zig zag my steering wheel to keep it straight because the tires wanted to wander.  Tried calling Yoko and nobody called me back.  I am getting Cooper AT3 tires on Monday, hope those are better.  Recently had new ball joints done and an alignment however it was the Vocational school who did the work so after the Cooper tires are put on we are going to a shop with a good reputation to have the alignment done again. 

Back
Top Bottom