Toy hauler gas tank leak?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Terrell1959

Just bought my first RV.  2006 Raptor 3712 toy hauler.

While adding gas to the tank from a 5 gallon jug, gas started leaking onto the ground.  Cannot see where the leak is.  Do these tanks have overflow points other than just having the gas flow back up the fill nozzle?

I pumped all the gas out of the tank and there was about 22 gallons.

There should be a vent line and that may have been the source of the overflow.

There is a vent line from the tank back to the neck (within about 4 inches of the fill spout) but it is tubed.  No way for gas to leak out.  Is there usually an overflow on the top of the tank that just allows excess fuel to leak out?  Well, that doesn't make sense either because as you are driving down the road a lot of your fuel will just slosh out.  I'm still lost.

Thanks

Are you sure the vent line isn't leaking?  Unless you overfilled the tank and fuel backed up into the vent line, you wouldn't know if it had a leak.

You are absolutely right.  That sounds like the only logical explanation for the symptoms.  Will check it out in the morning.

Thanks a lot.

Alan

I'm curious as to exactly how much capacity the tank has. You stated that you pumped about 22 gallons out but every toy hauler I ever looked at had a 30 gallon tank, including the one we have now. If it's a 30 gallon tank there might be a crack near the top of the tank. I've seen owners modify things using "self-drilling" screws and NOT pay attention to what's on the other side of what they are screwing into.

Let us know what you find.

Joe

When mine was full (not over full) and parked on my pad which sits leaning towards the driverside it leaked.  First time I thought I overfilled.  Next time I camped all weekend and it started leaking when I got home, so I knew there was no way it was over  full, considering I filled up on the way to camp and used the gen for a week.  I thought it was the overflow, but then found the the neither of  the filler hose clamps had been tightened from the factory. Both were there, just dangling very loosly.  Put them where they needed tightened em up and shuzam problem solved.
May be worth your time a look at those too? :-\

Back
Top Bottom