Toyota FJ60 fame swap.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NMJEEP

I have a 1985 FJ60 that a bought a couple of years ago. I really like the look of this body style and it has become my daily driver. So I want to upgrade the power as it is turtle slow, merging onto the freeway is a daunting task. I don't want a chevy V8 which is a popular swap. I think the body would sit a JK chassis with out a ton of fab work. Any thoughts or experience with this idea? I am Jeep guy so I get a Jeep and a Toyota in one package. I am a car nut and have the tools and knowledge for what would be involved.

Depending on how you wheel, 4 links, coil overs and an LS swap seems to be the hot ticket on YouTube. Then there's the guy who bought a brand new 392 Jeep and swapped in a Demon engine (and a lot of other stuff).
I know you said you don't want an LS, but to be honest there's just so much aftermarket support out there for that platform that it's almost easier to swap the LS than an old school 350 small block these days.

Another vote for the LS swap. You could also go the route of a 5.7 Toy motor though. They are not that far off the LS platform idea and there should be some aftermarket support for it.

Yes the LS is the popular but for the cost of a LS and transmission I can get wrecked a low milage JK. Then I have a rolling chassis with coil spring suspension, engine and transmission, fuel tank, disc brakes, etc. and the only fab work is building body mounts and adjusting the frame length. The JK frame has a factory splice that is used for the 4dr JK. Nice it is just a tube that slides into the front and rear half of the frame. If I get a Rubicon for the donor I have locking Dana 44's and the lower range transfer case. Axle width is slightly wider then the Toyota axles.

Yes the LS is the popular but for the cost of a LS and transmission I can get wrecked a low milage JK. Then I have a rolling chassis with coil spring suspension, engine and transmission, fuel tank, disc brakes, etc. and the only fab work is building body mounts and adjusting the frame length. The JK frame has a factory splice that is used for the 4dr JK. Nice it is just a tube that slides into the front and rear half of the frame. If I get a Rubicon for the donor I have locking Dana 44's and the lower range transfer case. Axle width is slightly wider then the Toyota axles.
Robby Layton Nation on YouTube has a project going with a JK that I think he's going to end up putting some kind of Yota body on. Currently he's gotten rid of all the JK body, stripped the frame and installed 4 link suspension fore and aft. I think he used upgraded axles from some aftermarket source instead of the Rubi axles though.
Ought to be a beast when it's built. He also built an off-road limo for EJS this year and took it on whichever trail it is in Moab that ends with "the chute" obstacle. It made it with no help.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom