TPMS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Which TPMS system do you use?

• TST

Votes: 12 36.4%
  • EEZTire

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Tymate

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 11 33.3%
  • None

Votes: 3 9.1%

• Total voters

grashley

It is the time of year for TPMS questions.  For the benefit of those considering a TPMS, which one do you have and are you happy with it?

Been a TST customer for years, actually the first week they started selling and have stuck with them. Recently purchased the latest color monitor with flow through senders and really like the upgraded system.

EEZRV for us.  Stand-alone (doesn't interface with anything), requires repeater, a bit clunky to set up. 
But we've found it dependable as it alerted us to a leak before the tire lost enough air to be dangerous or fail.

The 10 sensor, TST-507 is worth every penny spent on it.  I opted for non pass thru valve stem covers (Pic Showing transmitter / valve stem cover).  I bought a few metal tire extenders. It is tight but can access all stems for servicing on dual RV wheels. Peace of Mind when it comes to tires is a big deal to me.

Somebody posted this link below for stem lengthening stems...It may be useful to somebody out there...I know I had a pair I had to send back to the Big River...due to uncalibrated eye balls, shopping over the internet.

https://yourtireshopsupply.com/category/796/dually-valve-kits

We are new to RVn and we bought the Power Surge \ Power Check Device and Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) right out the Gate...

JD

Attachments

• OEM DEXTER printed on Dust Cover Look.jpg
    OEM DEXTER printed on Dust Cover Look.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 28
We bought a 10 sensor TST 510 non-replaceable battery system shortly after they started offering it, and about 5 years later when the batteries started to fail, when I inquired about replacements, they offered me the then new 507 system at a price that wasn't much more than the replacement sensors. We've had the 507 system ever since, and I replace the batteries annually at a cost of less than $10. In our previous coach, I didn't need a repeater, but when I added some new electronics in our current coach and saw some toad rear wheel drop outs, I added one. I removed the rotating security covers on the cap sensors, making them slightly lighter and less noticeable. Removing them to air up is now no different than removing any standard valve cap. Going on 7 years with them, and haven't lost one yet...

I am interested in how others have solved the dually inner tire pressure/fill situation on Silverado dually with steel wheels with simulators. With my prior 2500 and TT (toy hauler) I checked tires pressure often. Now I went all in with 3500 dually and triple axel fifth wheel toy hauler and it is so much more difficult to check inner tire. And I already own a dual chuck head service gauge but with the simulators it isn?t easy to line up with inner valve.

Based on what I have read here I am not going to add metal or flexible valve extenders to the existing rubber valve stems on steel wheels with simulators. So I either
1. Have tire shop remove rubber fill valves and install longer metal fill valves for inner dually valve to poke through (at least do it for inner) and for outer tire (and front) to have a 180 metal valve installed (not required but easier). Good thing: This would make it easier to check tire pressure (and fill) and least expensive option. Bad thing; can?t rotate without swapping valves again. Which brand/size (Borg/Dually valve?) metal stems do you recommend for Silverado? How often do you rotate you inner dually? Leaning in this direction mainly from cost perspective aprox $20-40 each plus labor
OR
2. Just go with TPMS onto existing rubber valve stems. Good thing; will know pressure/temp. Bad thing have same challenge filling inner dually (but will have to ?get to it? less often because only when air needed). I would need six (for dually) and while doing it might as well add six more (triple axel trailer) trailer (also need a repeater). Gets pricey though. Trust something on Amazon? because TST brand is $$$ and TST doesn?t show on wed site a 12 tire one?
OR
3. Go with a TPMS onto new longer metal fill valves. First pricey doing all this. Question: If I went with longer/180 fill valves is the TPMS putting too much ?pressure? on the stem because sticking out/doing 180, and spinning with monitor on end of stem with no real support (because I have simulators)? Good thing can see pressure/temp.  Bad thing pricey (12 sensors and new valves) and no real support for sensor on end of long valve.

I am sure others have experienced this challenge with their dually or motorhome. I also looked at the flexible pressure indicators that mount outside the rims but I didn?t want to look at that on such a clean brand new pickup. Had I had the money to ?order? the 3500 the way I would have liked I would have ordered aluminum rims with metal fill valves (and TPMS?) but this is my first dually. Lesson learned.

What have others done?

I've had three TPMS systems.

The first was a HawksHead.  Hard to set up and very prone to false alarms. No signal problems.

The second was a Smart Tire system.  It had repeaters, additional external antennas (2 of them) and still lost signals all the time.  Thankfully they don't have any RV specific products anymore.

EEZRV - What a difference!  Easy to set up.  Reliable.  No repeater required for 10 tires.  It has picked up the transmitters on our towed from about 100 feet away.  No signal problems ever.  We've had it for about 4 years and have replaced the batteries 4 times.  Easy.  I use a dab of pool lube on the O-rings for better sealing.

Another vote for EEZRV, but occasional signal loss required I add a repeater. We drive a 38 foot coach and previously towed a Suburban until we started towing an Explorer.

Previously owned a PressurePro system. It too required a repeater. The big downside was that the sensor batteries were not user replaceable. At some point, the company focused on the trucking market, and virtually abandoned the RV market.

I have the TireMinder Smart system with six sensors for my triple axle Toy Hauler.  The system is about three years old and I've been pleased with it's performance.  I chose the "Smart" system because I didn't want another monitor on the dash/windshield of the truck.  The smart system uses an app that you install on your smartphone and once you turn everything on, you can put your smartphone into the sleep mode (not turn it off, but to sleep) and it still monitors the tires and will alert you if there is some type of fault.  It's pretty easy to pick up the phone if you need to and check what the fault is.....and the dash/windshield doesn't have the clutter of another monitor.  Also, when checking your tire pressures before a trip or whenever, you can carry your phone around with you and the tire monitoring app open and check the pressure reading on the screen as you add air to a tire(s).

grashley said:
It is the time of year for TPMS questions.  For the benefit of those considering a TPMS, which one do you have and are you happy with it?

Sorry, late to the party, but I didn?t see mine mentioned.  I bought the 500 version a couple of years ago for my Coleman TT.  Liked it so much I got a second one for the flatbed hauling our CanAm. Monitor is rechargeable so no power cord and the battery lasts quite a while.

We really like the peace of mind, constantly ?watching? our trailer tires.

https://www.tiretraker.com/products.php?cat=2

I see they have a 600 series. Do you know the difference from the 500?

https://www.tiretraker.com/proddetail.php?prod=TT600-4

Boat Addict said:
I see they have a 600 series. Do you know the difference from the 500?

https://www.tiretraker.com/proddetail.php?prod=TT600-4

I don?t know.  Perhaps just a later version.

I'm a TST person.  Started with the original 510 system in 2008.  About 6 months ago the display for the 510 system died and I purchased the 507 with color display with the non-flow through sensors.  I'm not really satisfied with the visibility of the color display and after discussions with TST they sent me a monochrome display to test.  I won't have a chance to see the difference between the two monitors until next month.  I do like that the new 507 sensors are smaller than the 510 sensors.

But my recommendation is don't travel without a TPMS. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rubytuesday
Back
Top Bottom