Trailer backing signals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SuwanneeDave

This may have been posted before, but I would urge anyone backing a trailer, and their spotter, to watch this and learn to use the hand signals. It really simplifies the process. We recently returned from a six week trip and saw quite a variety of verbal and non verbal cues being used with dubious results.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_68jWvHw15w

Edit: Fixed URL.

Most times out of ten I'm all alone and do all my trailer backing by myself. So that means jumping in and out of the truck several times looking.  ::)

IMHO, this is so simple, it's stupid.
It doesn't matter what signals the pilot and co-pilot work out between each other. As long as they understand each other. After watching the video, I understand what it's trying to portray. Most coming out of their RVs in neighboring sites are coming out to watch the fun. guy in the video is trying to land a 757. And that may work for some. That's fine.

It doesn't have to be that complicated. There are two-ways available that may help with communication between the driver and the spotter. Otherwise, a communication plan between the driver and spotter should be sufficient.
The driver should know what he/she is doing. Either forward or backward.

Newbies are excluded. Everyone has to start some where. I would be one of the first to offer help. But, drivers/pullers should know how to back the RV up into a spot.

If not, it's time for practice in a vacant lot somewhere. Otherwise, expect the audience.

Just make sure you understand each other and the spotter is trained to be in the right spot where they can spot and be spotted by the driver.

The signal system in the Ron Jones video was developed to avoid the common mistake that drivers/spotters often make, either because they didn't bother to have a "system", or they lack the experience to do make their private system safe and effective. A good "communications plan" is simple and effective, yet most people never seem to manage one.

A few of the often-made mistakes include:

1. The spotter does not stand where the driver can see him/her. Not only frustrating, each year several people get injured or killed when an RV backs over them. Really - it happens! The very first rule of the "communications plan" needs to be "if the driver can't see the spotter, STOP immediately"

2. The spotter should tell the driver where the back end of the RV needs to go, not what to do with the steering wheel. Say or point "Move toward the  driver side" rather than "turn right".

3. Have an agreed upon set of directional and stop/go words or signs and always use them. Nothing is worse than "I thought you meant go right" after hitting something or somebody. Don't guess - KNOW.

My wife and I have a great system set up.  She will stand in a spot where I can't see or hear her.  We will then yell at each other.  After several failed attempt to back trailer in spot  I will get inpaciant and snap the passenger side rearview mirror off on a tree..... Works for us

robertusa123 said:
My wife and I have a great system set up.  She will stand in a spot where I can't see or hear her.  We will then yell at each other.  After several failed attempt to back trailer in spot  I will get inpaciant and snap the passenger side rearview mirror off on a tree..... Works for us

So that was you parked next to me last week!

Gary's 1,2,3 works well for us, irrespective who's driving, although usually only needed when reversing into 'tight' or 'blind' spots. Chris (primary driver) suggested this after too many years of miscommunication, and after watching designated spotters at an FMCA rally.

My DW and I make use of modern tech - the Bluetooth in the TV. She calls me on her cellphone & I use the hands-free calling built into the Jeep. No hand signals, flag waving or yelling required.  ;)

I do make sure I can see her in my mirrors though.  ::)

She calls me on her cellphone & I use the hands-free calling built into the Jeep. No hand signals, flag waving or yelling required

I think you missed my point. Regardless of HOW you choose to communicate, it is still highly advisable to utilize the 3 principles I outlined above.  The person holding the phone still needs to be in sight at all times (safety) and give clear & concise directions that mean the same thing to both of you. Merely using a cell phone does not guarantee that accurate and useful information is being passed. Or that yelling does not occur!  ;)  Probably you and your wife are doing this naturally, but many couples do not.

We usually use FRS radios rather than our phones, but until we agreed upon how my wife describes what needs to be done, we still sometimes got confused. My wife is more comfortable with saying toward "driver side" or "passenger side" for directions, so that's what we use.  Always. I also made it my firm rule that the coach stays stopped when I cannot see her in the mirrors.

For those who have no spotter, make it your personal rule to stop, get out and go look. And repeat as often as needed in tight places.  Trying to be cool and back in without pause or reconnoitering is going to get you bumps and scrapes, usually sooner rather than later. Perhaps a few have photographic memories and can maneuver well after a single brief glance, but most of us need to look and re-look multiple times when obstacles are in our path.

clemon said:
My DW and I make use of modern tech - the Bluetooth in the TV. She calls me on her cellphone & I use the hands-free calling built into the Jeep. No hand signals, flag waving or yelling required.  ;)
And then comes the day when there is no cell service. ;)

We tried the cellphone thing, hands free and all, but it just didn't work for us. I can hide my exasperation when I am simply looking at hand signals inside the truck. But on the phone? Not so easy. It was quite a show one time when it was very windy and we were backing into a barely-fit spot. My DW the teacher couldn't hear well so assumed I couldn't hear and got louder and louder. Downwind folks got to hear "Calm down, calm down!" repeatedly. Then came the offer (threat?) that never seems to materialize: "I'm pretty sure I can do better!"

Michael

Gary RV Roamer said:
Perhaps a few have photographic memories and can maneuver well after a single brief glance, but most of us need to look and re-look multiple times when obstacles are in our path.

Excellent point. If I may add...
Wheather you are alone or with a co-pilot, keep your cool. Getting irritated and loud does nothing for getting the parking job done any faster or without ridicule. If the driver and about to blow your top, or has lost sight of the spotter,  STOP FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!. Count to ten, take a deep breath, get your spotter back in sight, and whatever it takes to cool your jets before damage occurs or someone is hurt. Even if you have to get out of the vehicle a dozen times and look behind you. It doesn't matter. Getting your blood pressure up or maybe risking a divorce ( ;)) isn't worth it.

As a bystander, I would much rather approach someone having a bad time and a good attitude to offer help.
Compared to offering help to someone who may rip my head off for asking.

They have truck rodeos and heavy equipment rodeos...why is there not a "back your RV rodeo?"

Could have a TT, a fifth wheel, and a Class A division, use a long set of cones around a curve past a tree...team with the best time through the cones and least number of DOA cone penalties wins.

Handicap the divisions with one for using electronic devices and the other hand signals only.

What a great idea for a reality show! The radio/cell traffic alone would be priceless!

You know you want to watch this....

skyking4ar2 said:
They have truck rodeos and heavy equipment rodeos...why is there not a "back your RV rodeo?"

Not a bad idea. Maybe not practical at this point, but would be fun and informative. If something of the sort were to happen somewhere, it could be a great time with festivities for the whole family. Maybe sponsored by RV/component manufacturers, dealers, etc.

I've been to a few truck rodeos over the years. Can be a blast if interested in that sort of thing.
Heck, even my local city DPW holds a truck rodeo in the Fall for all the surrounding communities and their DPW winter plow truck drivers to compete in. Obstacle course, skills test, awards, food and fun for the drivers families. Public invited to watch with a small fee for entry.

How about it, Tom? How big is your back yard?  ;) 

why is there not a "back your RV rodeo?"

They do - I've attended one. It was at a rally at the RV park at the Lazydays dealership in Tampa. There were three events in the rodeo: driving between cones, bringing the RV to a stop at a designated place, and backing into a slot. Points were awarded for closeness to each goal and totaled to determine the winner. We figured watching would be more fun than participating and I think we were right! Not to mention that the spectators were allowed adult beverages and the drivers were not!  ;D

skyking4ar2 said:
Probably will add it to the activities list at Yellowstone next year...  8)

Excellent idea! Would be a PITA if everyone would have to pull up stakes to participate. But maybe one RV in each class could help out? Just a thought.
Put a little emphasis on backing in a RV...mission accomplished.

Two important things for backing up a TT or 5er. 1 GOAL get out and look if in doubt in the slightest 2 hand on the bottom of the steering wheel you want the back of the trailer to go left turn left, it only works with your hand on the bottom of the wheel.  Safe travels

Back
Top Bottom