Trailer Choices - Assistance Requested

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hypergirl

My husband and I could use your help with picking our first travel trailer.

We have a 2015 Ford F-250 tow vehicle and are looking for a trailer under 25,000.

Features we want include:
1.  Maximum 22 feet (trying to stay as compact as possible, 18-20 feet ideal).
2.  Queen bed
3.  Kitchen (micro, burners, sink, fridge).  Separate Freezer a bonus.  No oven (would rather have cupboard space).
4.  Bath (prefer regular, but will go with wet if enough other boxes are ticked)
5.  TV
6.  Awning (prefer electric)
7.  Light, airy feeling inside (light colors and/or lots of windows). Skylight over bed a bonus!
8.  Like couches over dinettes

Models we have seen that we like include:
Geo Pro 19 FBS
Lance 1475
R-POD 179 or 189

Any suggestions you can give us would be much appreciated!
Thank you in advance for your help.

Where are you located?

I went trailer shopping with my granddaughter last weekend and she is looking for the same thing.

We saw a few with walk around beds which is a must.  We are in the Fresno California area.

Wow, interesting, we are looking for same things!
Which models have you liked so far?
The walk around bed would be nice, but we are flexible on that feature.
We are up in Eureka California, but are planning on traveling to anywhere within a days drive for our purchase. So, Fresno would be within our shopping area.:)

We saw some at RV Country in Fresno that were nice, don't remember the brand right now.

You may also want to go to Manteca RV in Mantca, I heard they have better prices.

I used to have a Nash 22H and it had a crawl over bed. I strongly recommend a walk around bed!

The more you look at the better it is so you get a good idea of whats out there. 

You may also want to up to the Eugene and Junction City Oregon area to look. Lot's of dealers up there. Closer than Fresno.

If you want access to a LOT of floor plans, look here: https://www.rvingplanet.com/rvs
This lets you filter down based on a criteria you choose.

When we were looking to buy, we attended an RV Expo.  Google up to see if there are any near you.
We learned a lot climbing in to campers, sitting in the sofas, standing in the showers, laying in the beds.

You have not mentioned new or used.  There is a lot of advice steering new purchasers to go with gently used.
You avoid the worst of the depreciation of your investment.
You gain the value of having the original owner correcting the typical new camper issues.
By going used, you gain the more affordable opportunity to 'trade up', selling your first camper after a short time, getting another camper that meets your needs - needs that you did not know about until you actually camped in your first camper.  More affordable since you do not need to stretch the ownership over many years to reduce the depreciation bite.

Thank you for the rvingplanet tip, and advice about going used.
And we are totally open to a used trailer. Anything to help us get our foot in the trailer door :)
  :))

Used is a GREAT way to go!! 

You get more camper for your money.
Somebody ELSE got all the warranty issues fixed.
If you decide RVing is not for you, you will lose less selling a used unit.
If you LOVE RVing, and want to upgrade, you will get more of your purchase cost back if you started with a used unit.

Used is a GREAT way to go!! 

You get more camper for your money.
Somebody ELSE got all the warranty issues fixed.
If you decide RVing is not for you, you will lose less selling a used unit.
If you LOVE RVing, and want to upgrade,

I think we are already in LOVE with RVing, and we haven't even started!  We have been going places with friends, who stay in trailers, while we go back to a hotel......    I can't wait to get something.  :))

Be sure to get a lock that fits into the coupler that connects to your truck.

Had a neighbor that bought a brand new trailer and parked it out front. Was there for a week and then disappeared. They didn't have a lock on it.

Found it two weeks later totally vandalized, insurance took care of it. It was stolen around noontime.

Arch Hoagland said:

Had a neighbor that bought a brand new trailer and parked it out front. Was there for a week and then disappeared. They didn't have a lock on it.

Found it two weeks later totally vandalized, insurance took care of it. It was stolen around noontime.

That is good advice.  Will do!

Arch Hoagland said:

I have a friends stolen from his driveway too. I have a lock as well.

In addition, I installed a power cut off switch with key.  Not that the key etc is secure, or easily bypassed, but if the electric tongue jack does not work, my hope is that the criminals won't try and figure out the problem. 

Have you considered a toy hauler?  There are some that supply all the things you wanted, plus you have "extra" space that is open to allow you to configure how you want.

I'm going that route because I have M/Cs but you don't have to have bikes.  Check out a few of them.  You might find they suit you.

Drifterrider said:
Have you considered a toy hauler?  There are some that supply all the things you wanted, plus you have "extra" space that is open to allow you to configure how you want.

I'm going that route because I have M/Cs but you don't have to have bikes.  Check out a few of them.  You might find they suit you.

We would consider this, absolutely. Which toy hauler models are you liking so far?

IF I were to buy a toy hauler today, I would look for one of the models with the 'side patio'.  Many toy haulers let the rear gate fix to a level position for use as a rear patio.  Way cool feature.  But recently they have been putting an additional gate on the side of the camper, that comes down to form a side patio.
That makes for a lot of social space.

One example https://rv-pro.com/news/heartland-rvs-debuts-fifth-wheel-side-patio

edit: another example https://www.rvingplanet.com/mfg-heartland/cyclone-toy-hauler-fifth-wheel/4250

hypergirl said:
We would consider this, absolutely. Which toy hauler models are you liking so far?

As I am retiring and going full time, I'm going with a 30 foot.  Forrest River Vengeance Rogue 28V.  For me, the east/west bunk beds sealed the deal.  I'm planning to use that space for storage (which so many trailers lack).  It has room for a real bed up front and mostly an "open" floor plan in back.  It can also come with a drop down queen bed if you think you might ever want company.  What I've found with most RVs is that the builders try to make it a house and cram it with everything one might have in a house.  I don't need a 3 person sofa.  I don't need a 4 seat U shaped dinette.  The bathroom is roomy enough.  Everyone who has had an RV or has read anything forums will tell you FLOOR PLAN is the most important feature for YOU.  What you like is what you should get.  I've seen some shorter toyhaulers that would also work.  My deal is I want a dry bath BUT, I'm planning to live in it so your requirements will be different from mine.

Hey there,
Did you ever make a decision on a travel trailer? I?m just starting my search also and your list is almost identical to mine. I?ve been looking at:

Geo Pro 16BH
Lance 1575
R-POD 178
Intech RV Sol

I?d be curious to know where your search has taken you.

I have a Northwood Nash 17k that meets the criteria you listed except the couch. It has a rear dinette with large rear window and window on each side. So lots of light which I need!  Also have 24? counter on one side of sink and 12? between stove and sink. Lots of cabinet space. Large fridge, 10 gal hot water heater and large tanks. Dry bath with good size shower. Great for boondocking. I am solo and full time, so the trailer is perfect for me.

The drawbacks are queen bed is not walk around, no sofa or recliner seating and no slide. You didn?t mention if you wanted a slide, but most trailers have them now.  The no slide may make the space a little close for full time. But might be ok for occasional use.

You might look at the pics and video on Northwood?s website. I have been very happy with mine.

Back
Top Bottom