trailer hitch/ball grease

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jaycle

Can you just white lithium grease to lube the trailer hitch mechanism and the ball, or should I buy specific trailer hitch grease to use on these?

I've always used axle grease on mine.  I'm not so much worried about the hardened ball wearing as I am about the mild steel trailer coupler.  Metal on metal always requires some type of lubrication.

lone_star_dsl said:
I've always used axle grease on mine.  I'm not so much worried about the hardened ball wearing as I am about the mild steel trailer coupler.  Metal on metal always requires some type of lubrication.

Exactly.  The hitch ball is essentially a large ball bearing.  It needs grease.

On the other hand, the friction bearing surfaces of sway control hitch systems, like the cam surfaces of a Reese Dual Cam hitch system should be only very lightly lubed if at all.  See the mfr's instructions.s

I've never used any grease on the ball. When you stop and look at it the ball turns in the trailer hitch very little, It's not like you're spinning the ball around in the hitch like  ball bearings. Plus you don't end up with grease all over your hands every time you hook and unhook, or take the hitch out of the receiver on the back of the tow vehicle.  5th wheels are a different animal, there you can get a teflon donut instead of greasefor the hitch.

I really don't think that anything will be harmed in the short run with an un-greased ball or coupler but if you intend to keep trailers for years, it only makes sense.

lone_star_dsl said:
I really don't think that anything will be harmed in the short run with an un-greased ball or coupler but if you intend to keep trailers for years, it only makes sense.
  I concur, I rather have a greased ball than an old rusty one...I grease all my TRAILER HITCH balls. ;D

For an additional option, try wax paper.  The wax will supply lubrication and will not leave a messy residue to clean off the ball with your pant leg. ;-) 

rtluft said:
For an additional option, try wax paper.  The wax will supply lubrication and will not leave a messy residue to clean off the ball with your pant leg. ;-)

One turn and the wax paper is gone.

Calling the hitch ball a ball bearing is a bit of an overstatement, I think, but it is a load bearing surface and it does rub in turns. Even the minute variations as we travel straight down the highway cause rubbing between coupler and ball, and the amount of pressure (weight) there is enormous. Still, I would grease the ball only if traveling extensively. For occasional weekend trips the potential wear is such a low concern that the mess of the grease (which inevitably ends up on hands and clothing)  isn't worth the benefit.  Even if you had to buy a new ball every  ?? years.

I grease ever since I saw the tongue on my equipment trailer where it makes contact with the ball get discolored from heat after a 600 mile tow.  It was a heavy load (11K #s) but grease can't hurt unless you're only worried about dirty hands.  ???  I'd worry about wear on the trailer more than the ball itself as most are chrome plated, the trailer is soft steel.

When I worked at Connecticut Driveshaft in the late 80's we sold an aerosol 5th wheel lube that went on grey and turned silver under pressure.  It was dry so it didn't pick up dirt.  It would work great on trailer balls and couplers.

By all means, don't hesitate to smear a little bit of grease on the hitch ball!  I am a semi truck driver by trade and I can tell you right off the bat there are two reasons to put a coating of a lubricant on the ball.
First of all, the grease will help prevent corrosion.  Plain and simple.
Secondly, if all roads were straight as an arrow to your destination, there would be no friction to speak of.  The real world has roads winding left and right and up and down.  Not to mention the road crown.  All equating to friction and wear.  Metal on metal, without lubricant, under those condidtions is not a good thing. 
I am surprised the 5ver crowd hasn't said more.  As a steel hauler, I am well aware of what damage weight can do to a vehicle without proper lubrication.  Even cornering is much nicer when the friction is reduced at the pivot point with a little grease.
Let me put it this way...what can it hurt? 
My advice is to bite the bullet and buy that $3.00 tub of a quality chassis grease, stick your favorite finger in it, and smear some on that ball!  I'm not talking gobs of the stuff, but a liberal coating would be fine.  I clean it all off in the Fall because the grease will attract sand and dirt.  I then apply a new coating for Winter protection and storage.  Ready to go come Spring.  Maybe a little more for the towing season, then repeat.  No worries.

I have used the white spray grease for 40 years. I also use it on my dual cam (old style Reese). I have never had a problem. Much quieter too.

swaggerstick said:
I have used the white spray grease for 40 years. I also use it on my dual cam (old style Reese). I have never had a problem. Much quieter too.

The Reese installation guide says not to use grease on the dual cams.  I suspect the reason is that the dual cam needs friction to work effectively.
1.  DO NOT ? use grease on the cams or cam arms.
2.  If noise of the system is offensive, a very light coating of lubricant such as Vaseline may be used on the portion of the
cam where the spring bar rides on the cam. 
source: http://www.reeseprod.com/content/downloads/installation/N26002.pdf

I do use the white lithium grease spray too.  I spray it in the coupler, not on the ball.  This way it also greases the coupler mechanism.

Back
Top Bottom