Trailer hitch lock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

captaindomon

My new (first!) trailer arrives next week. Should I get a hitch lock for it? Do people worry about their travel trailers being stolen that way, by being towed away while you are away from the camp site or park? Any recommendations on the best kind of lock?

Thanks,
Joe

I have never heard of it happening in a camp ground but I suppose it could happen. Storage yards with poor security are another story. A lock is cheap peace of mind, also make sure your insurance covers theft and vandalism.

Sort of along those lines...I bought a locking receiver pin a while back to secure the WDH to the truck. I haven't used it while actually towing yet because I have to wonder if it is as strong as the pin that came with the hitch. ( An Equilizer 10,000lb hitch) I use it with my utility trailers, but I'm thinking the 6000lb TT might be too much for it. Can any of the experts confirm my suspicions, or am I worrying about nothing...

Welcome to the forum East traveller... I've never heard of anyone losing a TT to thieves but, hey, does that mean it has never happened, guess not. Tongue locks are inexpensive... I'd advise... As you wish.

Keith

Patnsuzanne said:
Sort of along those lines...I bought a locking receiver pin a while back to secure the WDH to the truck. I haven't used it while actually towing yet because I have to wonder if it is as strong as the pin that came with the hitch. ( An Equilizer 10,000lb hitch) I use it with my utility trailers, but I'm thinking the 6000lb TT might be too much for it. Can any of the experts confirm my suspicions, or am I worrying about nothing...

I've used a locking pin since day one, never thought about the strength of it though. I tow a 7900# 28' TT and now I'm rethinking the locking pin. One problem I did have though was the key wouldn't turn in the lock after a years use. Lots of penetrating oil and arm twisting it finally came free.

Keith

If you leave it in your driveway, I think you need one just to avoid a hassle with your insurance company if it were stolen. Parks and campgrounds are lower risk because of the proximity of attentive (aka nosy) neighbors. I use the type that clamps into the receiver when parked since it is hard to break/cut off and a locking receiver and hitch pins when moving it to prevent someone from maliciously unhitching me. The $50 for the set was a minor expenditure in the grand scheme of things.

If you do use a locking receiver pin, I'd recommend not leaving it in for the season. I used to leave hitch on for the summer and had one seize up so I couldn't unlock it in the fall -- it was a real pain hack sawing it off. (My current TV has backup radar so the hitch has to be removed when not towing.)

captaindomon said:
My new (first!) trailer arrives next week. Should I get a hitch lock for it? Do people worry about their travel trailers being stolen that way, by being towed away while you are away from the camp site or park? Any recommendations on the best kind of lock?

Thanks,
Joe
1st Hi I'm Dave PM Etiwan #95 AFM. A friend of mine last year had her camper stole from a storage company with electric gate and "cameras"  all of which turned out to be useless anybody could enter and exit and the cameras were not aimed or clear enough to get a tag or pic of the driver. The pic of a hitch lock works pretty good but if you have spoke rims I'd also use a chain between them as well

Attachments

• l953-1.jpg
    l953-1.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 17

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quattroluvr
Back
Top Bottom