Trailer RV Brands

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChickenMaster

Hello!

I am new to the RV game, I have a few questions if anyone could help. I am looking for around a 20ft trailer camper and not sure what brands are a little better quality and solid. A buddy told me Coleman is a cheap brand is that correct?

Thank you

I have several friends that have had Coleman pop ups over the years. Most of them have had what I consider more than their share of trouble with them. From what I have seen, their regular camping gear is great, just not their campers. Can't speak to their hardtop trailers. FWIW. Give us a little more on what you are looking for. Pop up or hardtop trailer? How equipped? We might be able to help you with a little more detail of what you are looking for.
Welcome to the forum. The only stupid question is the one you don't ask.

Welcome to the Forum. What do you have for a tow vehicle? That may make a difference on what size/weight trailer will be safe to tow. Also, do you plan to camp at campgrounds that have electricity and water or will you be camping off the grid which is known as boondocking?

There are no specific brands of RV that are either all good or all bad. You should know that the Coleman RV is a division of Dutchman and has not connection to the Coleman Camping Equipment company. Generally the weight and price of an RV is a better hint of it's quality for one with no experience at all. The cheapest built RVs will usually weigh much less than those with quality construction. Are you shopping for a new travel trailer of a used one?

Kirk is right on Target. RV trailers are highly competitive so nobody is simply charging more for the same thing, and a cheaper price is always accompanied by shortcuts in design and manufacture. Most of the big manufacturers have multiple brands, ranging from those focused solely on a low selling price to those offering more amenities and/or better quality materials and construction. You will find 20 footers with prices ranging from around $20k all the way near $50k. And some pop-up or hybrid or tear drop types even less.

Weight also is a solid indicator of the stranger & quality of the underlying frame & running gear as well as (to some degree) the body construction. RVs that hawk their ultra low weight have typically pared the frame and body structure to the minimum to save weight.

Besides the big guys, there are numerous regional RV builders, especially for the smaller size you are looking at. Brands such as InTech (Sol Dusk), Escape, and Scamp may be just what you are looking for.

Much depends on your wants and needs. Some people are looking to maintain their home lifestyle but with the ability to move around. Others want more of a "camp" atmosphere and maybe the ability to park in rugged or rural areas without campsite services like water & electric. The size of the tow vehicle you have (or are willing to buy & drive) and its towing capability is also a key factor.

I second what Gary RV_Wizard said about deciding what features you want based on how you plan to camp.

Years ago we had a conversion van we used for camping and had many good times with it.
As our kids grew up we did less and less camping.
Once we retired we decided to search for a TT.
We like it simple, but functional. To my way of thinking simple is reliable.

We purchased a 2016 1900RB Keystone Dutchman Aspen trail, (before they were bought out by Thor industries and pre-COVID). Its a 20 footer, easily towed by our Chevy Silverado 1500 with a floor plan we really like. No slide-outs and 82" headroom for us taller folks, and north south oriented queen sized bed. In the 7+ years we've owned it We've only had one warranty issue.

Over the years, the only changes we made were to add a 12v powered tv mounted on an articulated mount, replaced the deep cycle 12v battery with two 6V FLA 325AH deep cycle golf cart batteries, and replaced the dinette with a credenza drop leaf table combo, two reclining office chairs and a longer mattress.

Once we saw that trailer we knew it would work for us. Compared to the conversion van it was luxurious and suited our type of camping, with our fellow rv camper friends/family, which simply put, consists of long weekends, week long and the annual 2-3 week trip with a couple of 2-3 day boondocking trips thrown in!!

Safe travels and all the best.

Here are a few small trailer brands that have outstanding reviews.
Casita ~ NuCamp ~ Scamp ~ Escape ~ Happier Campers
Kirk gives good advice. I'll add that your first TT is rarely your last, so resale value is something you might consider when buying. Many of the bargain trailers lose a lot of value over the course of a few years.
We sold our 2016 Casita a few months back for more then our original purchase price which was near $20k. New ones are now over $30k so buying used makes sense to some. You do miss out on some amenities as they are basic trailers, but solidly built.
Casita's, Scamps, Olivers, Escapes, Bigfoots are all in that category.

Kirk gives good advice. I'll add that your first TT is rarely your last, so resale value is something you might consider when buying. Many of the bargain trailers lose a lot of value over the course of a few years.
We sold our 2016 Casita a few months back for more then our original purchase price which was near $20k. New ones are now over $30k so buying used makes sense to some. You do miss out on some amenities as they are basic trailers, but solidly built.
Casita's, Scamps, Olivers, Escapes, Bigfoots are all in that category.
Our 1st TT turned out to be too small for our extended trip to Yellowstone.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom