Travel in the off season

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tahoe, San Francisco, and so many other parks, cities, and random places in the middle of nowhere. A very capable TV, 4 seasons trailer, patience, and the willingness to be flexible has made for an adventure few have taken/are willing to take.
20230224_152008.jpg20230224_143837.jpg20230224_122852.jpg

Some many of these places had warnings about crowds or difficulties finding places and spaces. And so many of those places had not a soul in sight 😁
20230215_123607.jpg
20230215_075139.jpg

One of my favorite RVing memories was a day in Yosemite between a couple of major rainstorms. I was on my way back to the SF Bay Area from Quartzsite in January and stopped in to wait out a storm at the Escapees Park of the Sierras in Coarsegold about a half hour south of Yosemite's south entrance.

The second day was clear before another major storm would come in the following day. I decided to roll the dice and make a day trip into Yosemite. Travel into the park wasn't advised as there were fears of the heavy runoff closing Hwy 140, the main route in and out of the valley. But I would enter and leave via the south entrance, Hwy 41.

The roads were clear and the back to back storms scared people off. I had the park virtually to myself under blue skies. I was enjoying the fire in the empty lobby of the Awhahnee Hotel enjoying the fire when I was approached by the maitre'd. I thought he was going to kick me out but instead he invited me to have lunch in their dining room, which was usually reserved for hotel guests. I explained I wasn't staying in the hotel and he smiled and said it didn't matter, they had plenty of room.

After lunch I took the trail to Mirror Lake and encountered one other person, I was able to find a spot on a flat rock and sunned myself for half an hour while enjoying the view of the mountains reflected in the lake.

I returned to my RV that evening, waited out the second storm and then returned home. The storms washed out Hwy 140, just as predicted.

Thanks for posting all the pictures, they are great!

I've been to several of those places and have actually stood on top of Half Dome and El Capitan in Yosemite back in my backpacking days.

Very nice!!! I was surprised you went to Pinnacles, not many people do. Looks like you went in from the west side. The east entrance has a whole different feel.

Here is my moment of dare in Yosemite Glacier Point (Circa 2012)
Glacier Point.jpg.

We used to spend seasons working the tourist areas. lived in Jackson Hole for a year, and off season is about the only time I would go back there, or to Yellowstone.

Not sure where you got advice to scare you off, you're living the dream I'm sure many here know about, if not have done themselves. Maybe in a separate post describe how your rig is doing, both what you did and stock equipment. What works, what didn't, what you'd do different and why.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Hey, this thread should be shut down immediately and everyone's photos deleted!

Why? Because if all those folks who don't camp off-season see what it's like to camp during off-season, they want to go! And then, we'll have crowds during those off-season times and out-of-the-way locations.

So, better shut this thread down so all this great stuff can be kept a secret!

(for an FYI, our best camping experiences were in out-of-the-way places, little unknowns, and off-season. Tourist traps are just that! Tourist TRAPS!) I'm not revealing where this one was, but it was great having the ENTIRE campground ALL to ourselves!

pnWDitQ.jpg

eNZS1Fs.jpg

Great pictures. Good looking dog. Would love to take a similar journey someday.

I especially love the seal picture. I could just sit and watch those guys all day long.

Nice photos. Probably best to keep it secret.

It's only a 2 hour drive to Moab from our location. Not far enough. I am quite shocked how rapidly it changed for the worse. I remember camping there with no others around too just like we did in winter at all of the western locations that you posted. Unfortunately, Moab was recently discovered by the entire planet. The state of Utah was on an advertising blitz campaign of it several years ago and the people came from everywhere. Over popularity killed the Golden Goose with overcrowding. All boondocking within a 25 mile radius is now dead even during the winter.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom