Travel to Pigeon Forge Tn.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larbailey

I have read several post in the last few months about travel to Pigeon Forge via I75 ,I40 through Sevierville etc. After looking at maps until my eyes are crossed, I have concluded that I75 to Hwy 321 through Maryville, Townsen, Wear Valley and Wear Valley rd into Pigeon Forge would be a shorter route. Please, someone that knows better tell me why this is not a good route before I end up on a road I have no business on.

larbailey said:
I have read several post in the last few months about travel to Pigeon Forge via I75 ,I40 through Sevierville etc. After looking at maps until my eyes are crossed, I have concluded that I75 to Hwy 321 through Maryville, Townsen, Wear Valley and Wear Valley rd into Pigeon Forge would be a shorter route. Please, someone that knows better tell me why this is not a good route before I end up on a road I have no business on.

Larbailey,

What will you be rolling in?  And how used to steep mountain roads and switch backs are you?  I live in Knoxville and in-laws live in Wears Valley.  Absolutely beautiful Gods country here but Wears Valley (129) is very narrow and has several switchbacks.  O have a 35ft motorhome and there are several curves where I own the road and if someone was coming in the other direction I would be done.  However, my Father-in-law pulls his 32ft travel trailer on the same road but its a little easier with a trailer (I think)

If it was me, I would take I40 to exit 407 and take that right into Pigeon Forge.  The other way you mentioned is very tedious unless you are used to it.  Exit 407 is a very well developed road and a straight through right into Pigeon Forge.  It probably calculates out to more miles but it WILL be faster (dont care what google says)

Thanks RV Lyfe. We will be pulling a 32 ft. TT. When I said shorter I meant time not distance. I have been to Pigeon Forge many times and the traffic has become a nightmare. I thought if I could cut off the part between I40 and where Wear Valley Rd. hits the main drag I might save some time.  You mention that the road is a " steep mountain road". If you would, please compare it to the road between Cherokee and Gatlinburg as I am much more familiar with that road. Its beginning to sound like I40 to exit 407 may make more sense though.

I totally agree with you on the traffic on 407.  What day/time will you be coming in?  That makes ALL the difference in the world.  If your coming in on a Thursday/Friday after 3pm your in for a parking lot.  HOWEVER.....its a flat parking lot with no real need for even lane changes.  You just have to decide what is more important to you.  We have many visitors say that while they HATE the traffic on 441 its still better than dealing with the mountain roads.

One thing also about 407...not sure when you were last here but the road construction is about finished.  Its still a speed trap in some places (not an issue with a 32TT I would assume)  but it is now 6-8 lanes most of the way and that helps a ton!

Here is our issue with Wears Valley Road - It is def more narrow than the Cherokee road.  I dont remember any switchbacks on Cherokee however I usually only do the ride to Cherokee on my motorcycle so I may just not notice.

The biggest problem is even if you consider you as an experienced RVer....the person in front of you on that road is probably either in a cruise America RV he picked up in Maryville Airport and headed right to the hills for the first time or the guy from Florida carrying his gigantic 5th wheel coming in the other direction that is used to the local dump being the highest mountain they have ever seen and just have ZERO experience on these roads.

DISCLOSURE - No offense meant for anyone in Florida.  I am born/raised in Ft. Lauderdale and these mountain roads were very overwhelming for me when we moved here 7 years ago.  Especially the area of Wears Valley.  But we learned them in a car.  Not 55ft+ driving length but we are constantly stuck behind them and they seem to always have Sunshine State plates.  And we have seen several get in a real bad spot.

Thanks again RV Lyfe. Looks like I40 to exit 407 it is. By the way, we will be arriving in the area around 1PM on saturday.

We usually stay on I 75 through Knoxville and get off at hwy 66, don't remember the exit number, seems to be the quickest and easiest for us.

Exit 407 is hwy. 66. 1 pm on Sat. won't be good, but Friday afternoon would be worse.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Knuckles2828
Back
Top Bottom