Travel Trailer/Fifth wheel wrecks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blackbird

I'm curious as to what happens when a TT or Fifth wheel wrecks. I'm sure there are numerous different scenarios. (road location, trees, other vehicles, etc.) Can they break away from the tow vehicle? Can they roll the tow vehicle? Are they normally a complete loss? Does the tow vehicle offer the driver/occupants any protection? I'm not some sick psycho, just a newbie TT buyer looking for info on the matter.

Like any other vehicle 5vers are also involved in mishaps, but so are Motorhomes and trailers.  Usually the result bad judgment of the driver such as excessive speed, overloaded, or other driver negligence.

Blackbird said:
I'm curious as to what happens when a TT or Fifth wheel wrecks. I'm sure there are numerous different scenarios. (road location, trees, other vehicles, etc.) Can they break away from the tow vehicle? Can they roll the tow vehicle? Are they normally a complete loss? Does the tow vehicle offer the driver/occupants any protection? I'm not some sick psycho, just a newbie TT buyer looking for info on the matter.

:(Blackbird, TT's and 5th wheels really have no crash integrity to speak of. This is one reason why it's illegal to carry passengers inside 'em while they are being towed. They can break away from the TV, even with "safety" chains properly hooked up. They can "roll the tow vehicle" although my guess is that when it gets to that point, usually the trailer has already detached. More commonly, I think, the trailer pulls the TV off the road and into a ditch.

Any significant impact with a tree, another vehicle, a bridge abutment, a guard rail or something else with a bit of mass to it often causes the trailer to split apart with debris flying around all over the place. It's not a pretty sight. Under these circumstances, a propane-fuelled conflagration is also a distinct possibility.

The bottom line: It behooves you exceedingly when towing to keep the rubber side down, the shiny side up, and your nose between the ditches. If that means driving slowly, staying in the right hand lane behind a slow-moving vehicle, creeping down steep hills on winding roads, pulling into rest areas and staying put during thunderstorms and gales, and other excessively prudent behavior, so be it!

John Alldredge, just lucky so far, I guess! ::)

John has the right of it. Many, many years ago we were involved in a travel trailer wreck - trailer wheels dropped of an extremely low shoulder and  threw us out of control. Jackknifed and then went down the road backwards, with the trailer finally rolling and breaking away from the tow vehicle, which ended up in a ditch. Trailer was demolished, sidewalls collapsed and debris everywhere, but neither of us was hurt (though terrified!). Nancy was driving at the time and she still will not drive any trailer for any reason.

Even minor accidents, like backing into a tree can extensively damage an RV, shattering body panels and bending the frame. As John says, be VERY careful.

We are full timers pulling our new star stream all over the country. As winter is upon us, I know I'll have some work up north. My primary concern was the dangers of towing in winter conditions. Things like black ice, snow squalls and salt possilbly tearing up our new TT has me concerned. I guess if you all see a TT heading north on I-75 mid december doing 40mph, give a wave! I'd love to leave her home in Florida for the winter, just can't afford the rising costs of hotels.

In my 45 years of driving, I have seen two travel trailer wrecks/accidents happen. In both cases the driver was descending a long straight hill. The trailers started to sway back and forth and the driver lost control. One rolled both the pickup and the trailer. The other took the van and trailer off the road where the trailer rolled, but the van did not. In both cases the trailers literally disintegrated and flew apart. Trailer parts and contents went everywhere. As far as the trailers were concerned, there was nothing salvageable.

In both cases, I was lucky enough to see what was going to happen and avoid being part of the wreck.

Chet18013.

;DThe best towing advice I ever got was years ago when this Forum was on CompuServe. Some wise RV'er said, "You can go too slow down a hill a thousand times but you can only go down it too fast one time!"

John Alldredge

Worst i've see was a truck pulling a boat going downhill. The trailer wheel popped on the passenger side and pulled hard into a telephone pole.  It pulled the truck around the other side and they met bow to hood....not a pretty site.

:eek:In case of snow squalls, icy, snow covered or center bare roads, in my opinion the best place for an RV trailer and TV is holed up in the rest area until the snow stops falling and the salt trucks have been out.

Just cowardly that way, I guess!

John Alldredge, losing his nerve in old age!

wilfreddrabble said:
:eek:
Just cowardly that way, I guess!
John Alldredge, losing his nerve in old age!

I would call it intelligent, not cowardly.  And making smart decisions is often how one manages to get old in the first place  ;)  Towing is challenging enough in the first place...I wouldn't want to do it on icy roads period.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thumpercolt
Back
Top Bottom