Travel Trailer Query

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As long as you move most of the weight to the TT you should be fine and safe as long as you use a wd hitch to move some of the weight to the trailer. I have been researching this for weeks now and trying to finalize the TT that makes the most sense for me.
I have a Durango with class IV factory installed tow package and have been researching light weight options. My v6 GT has a gvwr of 6500# and is rated for 6200 lbs max towing and a max CCC of 1200 lbs. I don't plan on maxing any of these numbers and want to give myself a nice cushion of 10-20% to be safe. Been looking at unit with a max dry weight of 4500-4800lbs which will give me an extra 1000+ # for my passengers and cargo.

My wad Durango's  manual shows the following:

GCWR 11600
GTW 6200
Max tongue 620
Max payload 1200

Looking at a used 2016 Jayco jay flight 26bh
2016 Jayco jay flight 264bhw
New 2017 keystone bullet 243

Trying to find a gently used TT since I'm a newbie. Was told the quality on the Jayco's compared to the Keystones is night and day.

That Jay flight 26bh is going to put you right on the line, I think. You're looking at a dry hitch weight of 475. Then you have to add a couple of full propane tanks and a battery, which totals to about 100 extra pounds. So now you're at 575 on the hitch, and that's without any cargo in the trailer, water, etc. But maybe with weight distribution you'll be alright. I kept my dry hitch weight to as close to 400 as I could get and I have the V-8 with a max 720 on the hitch and 7,200 tow capacity and weight distribution too. Like you, I have no interest in getting close to those max numbers. I've heard good things about Jayco too. Haven't had any problems with the Keystone yet, but it's only been a few months. Didn't want to shoot for the moon on my first TT since between my newbie status, my two small kids, and my dog it's bound to take some hits.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KWKnut
Back
Top Bottom