Traveling Through Quebec

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Have a good trip!!! While you are that far east try to get in some whale watching. We went as far as the Saguenay quite a few times (by car). My wife had an aunt who lived in the Convent in Baie St-Paul and whom we visited there....

Here is something for you and youll never be hungry, you stop by one of the million belle province restaurant and you just say...

, jpeut tu avoir 2 roteux all dress pas de reliche aik une poutine pis un coke diete siouplait ?

With this you are well equipped as long as you like hot dogs  lol

dont worry for the english language you will be fine especially nearby big city, if you want you can live in english only in montreal , and the tourism is so important in quebec city that you wont have any problem.

the problem around here arent the peoples, its the politician .....enjoy your trip in la belle province where you can get a bit of europe

jpeut tu avoir 2 roteux all dress pas de reliche aik une poutine pis un coke diete siouplait ?

Wow!!! I did not think I sounded quite like that... heh heh ;D

L'anglais...

You see guys 2 mn and the party start....dont worry come and see the frenchie and enjoy the difference but remember you can come in contact with a moron....they are everywhere.... :) they are the exception ! I think lol

I used to travel for work in the pulp and paper industry, which took me to Canada several times.  Never to QC though.... but I did connect flights in Montreal once or twice.  I was so not impressed with their efforts to make me feel NOT welcome I vowed I would never go there to spend money.  A vow I may some day break, since I've heard many nice things about the old city, as was mentioned here.....
It seemed that they had spent infinitely more effort to put the English language signage smaller and under the french, that they neglected to put any valuable information on many of the signs!  Hey, a picture will often do with no English at all..... but instead they had to make it obvious that they didn't welcome English.
I've felt more welcome in rural Findland travelling alone where nobody spoke a word of English and there were no english signs at all....!

makes me think of another story
I traveleled to small towns in Scandanavia on a few occasions while working for a Swedish owned company.  Folks in big cities there speak English, and they even have English menus in the resteraunts.... but not always in small towns.  Once travelling with a coworkerker from QC, we would jointly translate enough of the menus to get by..... using my English and his French.  Once, we went into a Chinese resteraunt.  I'm used to them speaking bad English here, but there they spoke bad Swedish.  That was a real weird thing....  I still shake my head about it trying to wake up..... Anyway, they had to get a kitchen worker there to come take our order as none of the wait staff or front folks could speak a word of English.

I have lived in Queerbec since 1955.  When the separatists got in in the 70's English went too hell.  It is so much better now!  But I've always been told that Montreal has the real language issue.  Quebec City is absolutely wonderful!  And, always has been.  Rural Quebec is basically French but not many separatists.  They just speak French nothing more and nothing less.  Quebec is a beautiful province especially eastern Quebec.  Please come and visit.  I spend plenty in the USA.......lol

You really have to understand some of the history and the politics to understand where/why all this got started. Not that I condone or even agree with it but... The early requirements of Bill 101 (early 70's ?) were balanced and reasonable but political expediency and vote hunger took over later on (IMHO).

I was born here in 1939  and have lived here all my life, and even I do not understand where the extremists are coming from at times.  I did happen to serve some tours as a military armed guard during the bomb threats and the kidnappings that eventually resulted in the declaration of martial law in Oct 1970. It was not one of my favourite jobs. In my civilian day job, I was working in some of the buildings under guard.

I see you are a snowbird...SW Florida.  Which camping do you go too?  We are looking at Bay Bayou in Tamps.  We haven't gone south for the winter yet but are considering it.

We've wintered in the Tampa Bay area for all but one year for the past 9 years.  We really like the area as it does provide a lot of things to do and it has a lot of amenities that we didn't find the year we wintered in Arizona.  However, we have never been by the Bay Bayou.  It is not located in an area we would consider hogh on our preferred locations.  It is well inland and I'd guess well over a half hour to the gulf beaches.  We prefer the St Pete/Clearwater side of the Bay, but that is a personal preference.

Ed

I was looking in that area but there are so many choices it's hard to decide and know which are nice and which are not.  Which ones would you suggest and may I ask what your cost of gas is, one way.  We have been too Tampa many times by plane but never camped there.

Thanks

Any place you get to in the Tampa area will have good weather, and lots to see and do.  We always stayed at Robert's RV and Mobile Home park in St Petes:  http://www.robertsrv.com/  it provides basic sites, with a pool, it is clean, and lots of in park activities, but it isn't high end.  Walking distance to Walmart, Target and several restaurants, and about 15 minutes to the beach.
    As for gas, we are about 300 kms further from where we keep the coach in Moncton/Shediac, but I gave up tracking fuel costs as it doesn't really matter.  We go where we want to go, fill up the tank at the station showing the best price at the time, and drive for another day or so.
    As for heading down, we try to head down the I 81, via I 86 or I 84, or the 401 to the 81, the to Charlotte on the I 77, to the I 95, over to Ocala  on the 301 to the I 75.
    You'll have a great trip.

Ed

Is that the route to miss the mountains in Pennsylvania?  Where do you stop on the way down?  I'm just sending an e-mail too Robert's asking for their winter rates.  Does it have wifi throughout the park or a specific area?

Msbudlite said:
I see you are a snowbird...SW Florida.  Which camping do you go too?  We are looking at Bay Bayou in Tamps.  We haven't gone south for the winter yet but are considering it.

We stay here in the Naples area (Gulf side): http://www.silverlakesrvandgolfresort.net/home.asp

We are owners but there are rental sites available. Our 5th wheel stays there all year.

For being a bilingual country you would think important safety signs would be in both languages but they're NOT in Quebec!

Canada is bilingual, Quebec is not. The only bilingual province in Canada is New Brunswick.  Roads are the preview of the provinces.

Ian

Back
Top Bottom