Traveling through the Smokey Mountains on I-40

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

freds123

We are wanting to traveling through the smokey mountains on our way to Florida this winter.  We have a diesel pusher and a tow and will be traveling through on I-40 and was wondering how the road is??  Any one have any input on the traveling of I-40 or any other good route to the eastern coast of Florida?  Thanks

I40 is generally fine.  You'll want to take it easy through the mountains between Knoxville and Asheville - lanes are a bit tighter and there are stretches w little or no shoulder.  You'll definitely want to gear down and keep your speed under 35 coming down Black Mountain east of Asheville.  But no really significant problem areas if you're paying attention.

I have driven I 40 between TN and NC several times. (In both directions)  Gear down, take your time and run with the trucks. No big problem.

Thank you everyone for the comments.  We are excited about our adventure this year. 

We drove West on I-40 after spending a few days in Waynesville, NC. (the gateway to the Smokies) We are a small gasser towing a car, but had no issues and saw plenty of DP rigs on the road. The views of the mountains are amazing.
Enjoy.

The I-40 route is the relaxing alternative to US441 through the Park with an RV.

I traveled from home to Nashville in June for my first RV trip. Had no problems with I40 other than the usual traffic issues on any interstate. Happy travels!

Thanks everyone on your comments.  We are excited to get on the road again!!! :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elvislivesontimbits
Back
Top Bottom