Traveling to Rocky Mt. Nat'l Park

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

turquoisegirl

Hi, all!

Fiance and I are thinking about going to Rocky Mountain National park this summer, but we are concerned with the wear and tear on our transmission. We'll be coming from Atlanta GA. I've heard about getting a vehicle adjusted/tuned for mountain driving... something about the air intake. Can anyone give us some advice about this? Advice about where to stay outside the park is also welcome.We aren't interested in dry camping the whole week, and we don't have a generator.

We drive a 2012 Nissan Pathfinder V6, pulling a 21' Gulf Stream Conquest.

Someone else will have to comment on the tuning.  Most newer trucks adjust the tuning as much as they can on there own.  If you had it tuned somewhere to drive in the mountains then you would have to get another one when you came back down.

You should be fine with a 2012.  You will be going slow up the mountain anyway with a V6, about 45mph.  The road twists and winds, and 45mph was about what I did going up in my 31' class C with a V10. 

I would stay at Spruce Lake RV Park and if you cant get in then Elk Meadow RV Park, both are very close to the RMNP.

Maybe change your air filter, oil (if it's time) and check your transmission fluid, but other than that, there's really nothing that needs to be done to a modern vehicle to drive at higher elevations.

Kev

turquoisegirl said:
Hi, all!

Fiance and I are thinking about going to Rocky Mountain National park this summer, but we are concerned with the wear and tear on our transmission. We'll be coming from Atlanta GA. I've heard about getting a vehicle adjusted/tuned for mountain driving... something about the air intake. Can anyone give us some advice about this? Advice about where to stay outside the park is also welcome.We aren't interested in dry camping the whole week, and we don't have a generator.

We drive a 2012 Nissan Pathfinder V6, pulling a 21' Gulf Stream Conquest.

That "getting a vehicle adjusted/tuned for mountain driving" is outdated information. In the old days, with non-computer carbureted engines, advancing the timing a few degrees could give you a bit more power up here, and if you lived in the high country, replacing the idle jets could improve things, as well.

But with today's computer-driven fuel injected engines, the computer takes care of all needed adjustments as it sense the reduced air density and such. However, if you're driving a 1960 Chevrolet...  :)

As far as transmission wear, if you haven't overloaded your tow vehicle with too much trailer and cargo/people, then it shouldn't be much more wear than you'd get on steep hills in GA or VA.

Advice about where to stay outside the park is also welcome.We aren't interested in dry camping the whole week, and we don't have a generator.

I would be more worried about this ^^^^ then the truck part.

No generator and you want to stay outside a park for a week?
A small TT so I assume small tanks (fresh water etc.) especially for 2 people.

Maybe a small portable generator would be in a worthy addition to your TT.  JMO.

Hope it works out for you.

Ditto on getting the vehicle "tuned" for the altitude.
The computer should handle the necessary adjustments to fuel and air mix.
You may want to double-check your vehicle manual for what octane rating they recommend. Some vehicles are fine with Regular fuel, and some require a specific Octane rating. Our car requires 87 Octane.
In the High altitude, the regular is usually 85, while at Sea Level it is 87.
Our owner's manual specifies the need to use 87 Octane regardless of the altitude.
So, we need to buy Mid-grade 87 octane while in the high country.

The only noticeable effect of using the lower Octane is that the Check Engine Light comes on, with no specific error code, and stays on as long as we are burning the regular fuel up here.
Not really a problem, but something to be aware of.

When you get to Colorado, you may want to take the US 36 route up to the Park from north of Boulder, as the US 34 route from Loveland will still be under construction to repair damage from flooding a couple of years back.

RedandSilver said:
Advice about where to stay outside the park is also welcome.We aren't interested in dry camping the whole week, and we don't have a generator.

I would be more worried about this ^^^^ then the truck part.

No generator and you want to stay outside a park for a week?
A small TT so I assume small tanks (fresh water etc.) especially for 2 people.

Maybe a small portable generator would be in a worthy addition to your TT.  JMO.

Hope it works out for you.
I am assuming the OP wants to stay in a commercial campground instead of dry camping in the National Park itself. The OP said they weren't interested in dry camping for a week.

UTTransplant said:
I am assuming the OP wants to stay in a commercial campground instead of dry camping in the National Park itself. The OP said they weren't interested in dry camping for a week.

Well how did that "aren't" slip in there?  :-[

My Bad.  Sorry.

Thanks for setting me straight.

Stop at the Leaning Tree Museum of Western Art between Longmont and Boulder. It is free and has the most incredible collection!

Oh my gosh, you guys! Thank you so much for the helpful responses!

I think, if we go, we'll try to stay at the Estes Park KOA. We loved the one in Santa Fe, NM.

I'll definitely look at the Nissan's manual about the octane rating, and LarsMac, thank you especially for the info on the highway construction.

And I am a die hard fan of all things American West, so the museum recommendation is most welcome. Thank you mikulski603!

One thing to remember when you're driving up there if you've never been: Downshift!  It's not hard to overheat and glaze your brakes without a travel trailer behind you.  Keep your speed in check, and downshift into a lower gear to help. 

Don't know how long you will be here, but since you like things about the west, I'd like to suggest something to you. If you can, try to factor in a guided (or not) ATV tour. If you want to really see the mountains, this is the way to do it. You can hike, bike, etc., but ATV'S will allow you to see a lot more scenery in less time. There are untold numbers of old mining sites scattered throughout, many with a lot of abandoned buildings and equipment laying around. If not ATV's, then try Jeep tours and rentals. Either way will get you really into the mountains and away from a lot of the crowds and congestion. Try a search for ATV/Jeep tours/rentals for the area. I will say, that the rentals are not cheap but it should be money well spent. Disclaimer: My wife  and I have been riding for a while so my advice is biased.  LOL.

If you are interested in dry camping, I would stay at one of the campground in the national park.  The campgrounds get booked early so I do it as soon as possible.  By camping in the park, you'll avoid the traffic of going in and out of the park each day.  The national park campground will be significantly cheaper than the KOA.  I think the park campground is about $25 / night.  If you use the park's bathroom and dump your dish water in the grey water basin, you should be able to stay a week without dumping your tanks.  The only thing of concern is keeping your house battery charged (portable solar panels or small generator?).

Also, at higher altitudes, most vehicles only need 85 Octane fuel even if your owner's manual says minimum of 87 Octane.  There is less oxygen in higher elevation and you'll just waste money on the higher octane gasoline.

Also, at higher altitudes, most vehicles only need 85 Octane fuel even if your owner's manual says minimum of 87 Octane.  There is less oxygen in higher elevation and you'll just waste money on the higher octane gasoline.

Unless you have a turbo-charged engine...

Even with my turbo charged engine, I've had no problems with 85 octane in Colorado.

keith c said:
Even with my turbo charged engine, I've had no problems with 85 octane in Colorado.

Good. I've not had a turbo-charged gas engine in a car, so didn't know how it might fare, but the turbo can, depending on design, make the engine think it's at sea level (or lower, in many cases).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tensch
Back
Top Bottom