Traveling with pups...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
stevemc said:
We are new to RVing and just researching to see what to buy. We have a toy poodle we will plan to take with us.? He'll always be on a short leash outside but occasionally I expect we'll want to go somewhere where he can't go with us so we plan to leave him in the RV with the air conditioning running.? Problem is I know he'll bark constantly. Especially in a campground with vehicles going by and activity going on all around.? I'm worried that the barking will be a nuisance and get us in trouble.? Anyone had experience with this?? We're looking at class c motorhomes and will leave a radio on to help keep him company, but I'm still afraid his barking may be too lound outside the coach.? Thanks, Steve

If the RV is full of your stuff, and smells, and he has some familiarity with you going from it and returning to it, he should adapt.  Keep him well exercised and be sure to take him on a good walk before you leave him alone in the RV.  This both exhausts and empties him -- more likely to sleep and not panic.  I have had two dogs over the past ten years in my trailer and they adapted to it nicely even tho one was a bit neurotic.

On the other hand if he is a repititious barker at home, it is probably about time you contact a trainer about the problem.  It generally is curable and the cure should be undertaken.

Thanks for all the input.  He's a great dog and only barks when he hears someone coming to the door when we're with him, and that's ok.  But when we have to leave him home alone you can always hear him barking constantly whenever he hears a car drive by or any noise that makes him think someone's outside.  I'm sure he'll do the same in an RV.

Like I said, with that type of lonely barking do see a trainer about it.  It always gets you in trouble with neighbors.

Steve, I think it's great that you asked and didn't just take the dog to a campground and let it bark away. Perhaps boondocking would suit you and the hairy child better than campgrounds?

Yes, we may have to find a place to boondock when we want to go sightseeing where he can't go, and stay a campgrounds and parks only when we'll be there with him.? He's no trouble at all when we're there.? I guess we've just really spoiled him!!? We'll look into training as a long term solution as Carl suggested.? Thanks, Steve

Steve  get a muzzle and try it at home and get the dog used to it, that way when you get on the trip the dog won't hurt itself by fighting it.  Eventually the dog will be find without it, should you put it on each time it acts up.  Worth a try.

Sounds like it could be separation anxiety. I'm no expert. I found some excellent help for me and my dogs in a book called "Think Dog" by John Fisher.

Glad I came across this topic. I never thought about the scorpins, and such for our trip next summer out west.
My dogs (2  tiny yorkies and 1 7lb maltese, are litter box trained and we usually keep them inside so this just confirms that they are staying in the MH for this trip.

Colleenfl

Dogs are prone to get grass burrs into their feet.  These are also referred to as "goat heads".  They are hard burrs with spines on all sides.  Very painfull but can be easily removed.  New Mexico has them almost any place there is native grass.  These are not associated with Cholla.  You need pliers for Cholla spines.  These will get into your shoes, tires on your vehicle or just about anything that is not metal.

colleenfl said:
Glad I came across this topic. I never thought about the scorpins, and such for our trip next summer out west.
My dogs (2? tiny yorkies and 1 7lb maltese, are litter box trained and we usually keep them inside so this just confirms that they are staying in the MH for this trip.

I live in the SW and RV in the deserts.  I always keep my critters on leash, short leash in wild areas.  Furthermore, even without  a dog on a leash, I scan the ground ahead of where I walk.  If you keep your dogs in the policed and cleaned parts of the RV parks, you will have few problems.

stevemc said:
. . .but occasionally I expect we'll want to go somewhere where he can't go with us so we plan to leave him in the RV with the air conditioning running.

My thinking has always been to never leave an animal in an RV trusting that the Air will stay on. If it "does" go off, temps in the summer in an RV can get well over 100 very quickly. Park power is one item that is always questionable -- especially in older parks. I have had it go off in newer parks as well. When I had feline family on board, I never left my rig for more than a quick trip to the grocery if it meant trusting the life of my friend to park power -- or for whatever reason the Air might die.

Just food for thought . . .

Hi all,

Traveling with pups - hmm, interesting topic.

It is my belief that when one travels with animals or kids, they must be under control.

My hub and I have been traveling with dogs for nearly 35 years. We have mostly been RVing, but have also motel/hotel'd it with our dogs. They are purebred show dogs, were trained to crates as puppies from 6 or 7 weeks of age.

Do they ever bark in campgrounds? Sure they do, but we have never in all these years had a complaint about excess barking or been asked to leave a campground. And generally, we have at least 2-100 lb bernese mountain dogs with us.

First, we never, and I mean never leave them tied up alone outside while we're inside - one of us is always with them. Tied up means nothing if you're not there to control them when another dog walks by and they decide to either break the lead or just bark like mad - normal dog stuff.

When we leave to go somewhere they cannot be taken or it's too hot to be in the car, they are crated in the rv. Frequently we put on some music or just the fan on the AC for some white noise.

To me, a very important thing when traveling with your furry friend, please, please clean up behind them. Just because your dog/cat is small, doesn't mean it's ok to leave their droppings and not pick them up. When one leaves their pet's waste around a campground, campground owners get a bit tired of it and frustrated, and this can lead to a no pet policy.

I know I sound pushy and know it all, but since we've been showing our bernese, we have been around literally thousands of dogs at shows. It is amazing to me, even though it is against all show rules, how many people just blithely disregard it. So thanks for listening.

BernerGran

BernerGran - I sure agree with what you said. A tied-out dog is not part of anybody's family, IMO. Animal rescue people recommend strongly against it for the dog's own wellbeing. BTW, over the years I've seen quite a number of folks travelling in RVs to dog shows with their dogs. It must be very handy to have your own home on wheels after the show.

Dear Pierat,

RE: Dog Shows - You have no idea how nice it is to be able to go back to the rig, crate the dogs, get a bite to eat and go back and be able to sit and watch the show if you want to. Or, since our breed, the Bernese Mountain Dog always seems to have to be in the ring by 8, which means grooming, getting organized, etc. so we're ringside a half hour early. My husband does the grooming and the showing, but I am handicapped, so bless his heart, he also does breakfast, get's my scooter out and ready to go, then gets me out of the rig. Sometimes I think it was easier when the kids were little.

The other plus is that our dog club is in AZ, we are in Albuquerque, and several of them travel in rigs, so we get to visit with them a bit. And that is nice.

Good disscussion!

BernerGran

Just wanted to add an observation I've recently made. Of all the used rv's I've looked at online, I've yet to see one that had a dog, cat or cigarette anywhere near it!  LOL

I never would dream of RVing/Camping with my WILD CHILD BEAGLE.  My 2 kids take enough time, the daughters beagle would be too much. 

If my friend of 15 years who passed away last year was in good health I would not have hesitated to take her camping with us.  She was perfectly mannered, and friendly to everyone.  I found the perfect friend in an English Springer Spaniel named Punkin.

My In-Laws camp with their new toy poodle.  It is treated exactly the same as their tea-cup poodle who just passed.  Milo is still learning the ropes.  but they are in agreement with everyong else on here, never leave the dog alone inside or out.  fortunately they can take the little poodles with them a lot of places, and he is crated if there is absolutely no way he can go.  I don't know if they have considered the loss of power or not, It hasen't happened to them yet. I will question them when they get back into town from visiting family  Non-RV style.

David

For barking while you are gone, try leaving the TV or music on to distract him.

I've had to pick those spurs from between our the pads on our poor doggie's feet.  OUCH!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anewvisionllc
Back
Top Bottom