Triad TU-740 converter for 1989 Winnebago Chieftain

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Raypc800

I would appreciate any information or PDF's that deal with this converter. Apparently the business that made it went down in 2000. I would like to know how many Amps it charges the batteries? Thank You

This is what I found by doing a search on yahoo.

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/18355980.cfm

Paul

Based on the model number, I'm willing to bet it is a 40 amp charger. That would be a typical size for that era and type of RV. And adequate for charging a pair of batteries. You can go higher with the replacement if you like - a 50A charger is more common these days as the basic model.

If you are thinking about replacing your 40 amp charger with a 50 amp charger, that would probably be okay.  The charger would be drawing more current on the AC side and putting out a few more amps on the DC side, so the breaker  on the AC side needs to be able to handle the extra current (which would not be much extra current), and the DC side wiring needs to be adequately sized for a few more amps.

the link from Paul & Ann provided spec'd input and output voltage for the converter with the input current at 7.5 amps.
Updating to a 50 amp converter could be OK if input current doesn't exceed that.
I would not quickly just replace the input circuit breaker with a larger one without checking the input wire size. Remember, the circuit breaker is designed to protect the wires from overheating.
If the output load of new converter is not drastically increased from design, the rating of the existing circuit breaker should be OK. Converter should not have to increase its draw on source.
If the input wiring is 12AWG it is good to carry 9.3 amps 115 VAC/60Hz, increasing the circuit breaker should be OK; if wire size is less i.e., 14 gauge or less, do not increase circuit breaker size when you replace converter.

A large amp converter will rarely draw its full rated amps with only three batteries and the usual house 12v stuff to service.  Besides, 7.5A@120v  will supply nearly 75 amps of 12vdc output.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pjay15
Back
Top Bottom