Trip planning apps by mileage?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cadee2c

I know there are a bazillion trip planning apps out there. I have been looking for one where, rather than entering a destination, you can just enter the number of miles you want to travel as the destination. Does anyone know of something like this?

I like distancebetweencities.net. You plug in A and B locations and it gives milage and time. It also gives weather conditions on the route. Not exactly what you are looking for but a quick easy way to check milage  and decide how to break up a long trip.

With Streets and Trips you can draw a line out to a distance and pick a spot , then get the driving directions to the spot you pick.

What I was thinking was something like this... Say for instance Im driving from Minnesota to Houston. I would be on 35 for over 600 miles but don't want to drive that all in one day. Say I want to stop about 275 miles out the first day. I would like an app where I can just click somewhere on the route and see the mileage, or where I can add a stop at a mileage point and then find campgrounds, gas stations or other services within a certain number of miles of that area. Its pretty much trial and error on all the map or trip planner programs Ive tried. I thought there would be one I hadn't heard of.

Caryl

Not an app but a website: 

http://www.freemaptools.com/how-far-can-i-travel.htm

You can use miles or speed & hours.

Mark

DeLorme's Street Atlas has that capability.  Use the ruler to find a stopping point out whatever miles you like, then use the Find to set a radius and and features to search for.

cadee2c said:
Bruce, I just looked up Streets and Trips and they've discontinued it.

You can still buy the 2013 edition online. Just Google it,

I'm still using Road Trip Navigator 2012 (used to be Good Sam product), although, I see it is no longer available.  If you can find a copy, it allows you to set your destination and then set how many hours or miles you want to travel daily.  Then it identifies on the map at what point you need to locate a campground.  It has a campground database, but since Good Sam gave it up, the database is no longer updated.  You can, however, add your own when you know of one not in the database.

I use MapQuest coupled with Rand McNally mileage calculator to plan my trips.  I usually plan on driving 6 +/- hours with 1 rest stop giving me around 300 miles per day.  We don't need to make early starts and gets us to overnight stop in time for cocktails (my trip planning guideline).

RVParyky kinda does that.  You plug in a city and it tell you how far it is from your last city.  I got pretty good at guessing the distance on the map. 

PS
It only does it on the Website I noticed.  Not on the app itself.

When we set out on a trip we just decide our final destination and set the GPS to that destination. While we are driving that direction we just begin tapping on the GPS along our route until we locate an interesting place that is in our distance we want to travel that day then locate a campground nearby.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jasondenman
Back
Top Bottom