Trip to Grand Teton Mts.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

greenboy

I posted yesterday (Aug. 2, 09)  and the post has not been put up....I am new and probably did something wrong.
But we need advice on getting from Rapid City to Jackson, Wy.

Your post from yesterday can be found here.  Posts that you make won't show up as unread until someone replies.

Don't know what your driving but we just did that trip in reverse. Hill City, Buffalo, across Big Horn Mtns, to Worland, Greybull, Cody, through the park to Jackson. US16 all the way to the Yellowstone Park. We was in a 32Ft motorhome. Didn't have any problems, GREAT TRIP. Have fun and be safe.

as far as your weather question from the other thread, it can be fairly hard to predict. I've seen it be over 100 degrees and extremely dry in May, and I've seen it snow in July. Especially with the somewhat abnormal weather we've been getting this summer, you probably won't be able to have any idea of what weather you'll encounter until you're actually there.

Have some sourjacks at Jeddediah's in Jackson for me when you go :)

Jim Godward said:
The suggested route is the best one for a RV and avoids the worst Mountain roads, steep grades, etc.

I don't understand "suggested route"......I used Google Map...and it, of course, shows car routes.  I am just wondering if The Forum can give me some advice on getting from Mt. Rushmore to the Teton Mts. Thanks for your help!

Wizard46 said:
Don't know what your driving but we just did that trip in reverse. Hill City, Buffalo, across Big Horn Mtns, to Worland, Greybull, Cody, through the park to Jackson. US16 all the way to the Yellowstone Park. We was in a 32Ft motorhome. Didn't have any problems, GREAT TRIP. Have fun and be safe.

greenboy said:

I don't understand "suggested route"......I used Google Map...and it, of course, shows car routes.  I am just wondering if The Forum can give me some advice on getting from Mt. Rushmore to the Teton Mts. Thanks for your help!

Get on I-90 at Rapid City and take it to Buffalo WY.  Then take US 16 to Worland, from Worland take US 20 to Greybull and 16/20 to Cody.  Go through Yellowstone along the lake to US 89 south to Jackson WY.

That is the same route most will take in a car as US 14 and 14A From Casper are very mountainous and not for the faint of heart even in a car.

There is another couple of routes but both add several hundred miles and you will still have to drive in the mountains on 2 lane roads.

We took 35' gas rig towing Suzuki Grand Vitara along I-90 to Buffalo, then South on US-16 to Worland, spent a night at the Longhorn RV Park (very nice place) outside Dubois, WY, over the pass, and down to Moran Junction, then through Jackson.  There was some major construction between Dubois and Moran Juction, but otherwise, no problem.

We ended up spending 12 nights in Mike Harris FS campground outside Victor, ID, driving the toad over Teton Pass to visit the East side of the Tetons.  We really liked the West side better - far less crowded, and lots to do.  Wish we were there now, as Northern Idaho has been really HOT!

Doug & Vicki

Mark you must be a Colorado RV er, I used to live next to the Springs, never went to top of Pikes peak, but went 1/2 way up on new years day for a motorcyle race to the top, BURRRRR COLD! Can not imagine going to the top in a MH.

dvsmith86 said:
We took 35' gas rig towing Suzuki Grand Vitara along I-90 to Buffalo, then South on US-16 to Worland, spent a night at the Longhorn RV Park (very nice place) outside Dubois, WY, over the pass, and down to Moran Junction, then through Jackson.  There was some major construction between Dubois and Moran Juction, but otherwise, no problem.

We ended up spending 12 nights in Mike Harris FS campground outside Victor, ID, driving the toad over Teton Pass to visit the East side of the Tetons.  We really liked the West side better - far less crowded, and lots to do.  Wish we were there now, as Northern Idaho has been really HOT!

Doug & Vicki
      That is a great help, especially the campgrounds.

Back
Top Bottom