Triton 6.8 transmission maintenance.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lckign

:-\ Have 37000m on my fleetwood bounder triton 6.8 v10 transmission and would like to learn to change the filter/fluid. First off how do I get the external filter casing off? 2nd q- can i get away at this mileage with a lazy just change the fluid without dropping the pan and doing the internal filter? I see from other posts that the residue fluid left shouldnt  be an issue if I use the spec'd product. Anyone disagree?
Appreciate any help since I'm obviously not a mechanic but do want to diy as much as possible (and safely as in not screw it up).
Thanks in advance Len K.

I changed the internal filter on my 2000 E450.  I drained it, removed the pan and simply stuck in the new filter and put the pan back on.  The gasket was a reusable gasket, so I just reused it and had no problems.  I don't recall there even being an "external" filter.  If there was, I did not change it.

If ford says to change the internal filter you should probably do it.  It's not that big of a deal, just messy.  You can probably find a video on YouTube showing the whole process.

What about the fluid in the torque converter?

Most Ford trucks have a short piece of rubber hose on one of the transmission lines at the cooler. This is for changing fluid. You remove the hose and attach a length of clear tubing to the cooler end long enough to reach a pan under the driver's window. You start the engine and watch the fluid coming out. When you see bubbles, you turn off the engine and add a gallon of fluid. After about 3-4 times of this, you will have clean fresh fluid coming out and the transmission (and torque converter) will be flushed. Top off on the dipstick, reconnect the hose, and you are done. Any type of chemical flush is a bad idea. One of the cycles you should move the shift lever through it's positions to get fresh fluid throughout the valve body. The internal filter rarely need to be changed They are large enough to hold whatever the clutches shed. If they plug up from clutch material, it's time for new clutches anyway. Removing the pan only disturbs trash that's safely stuck in place. Fluid changes like described are all that needs to be done.

8Muddypaws said:
If ford says to change the internal filter you should probably do it.  It's not that big of a deal, just messy.  You can probably find a video on YouTube showing the whole process.

What about the fluid in the torque converter?
My maintenance books says to change ATF every 30K miles and the filter every 60K miles.  I have 28K now so will do it this spring.

Back
Top Bottom