Triton V-10 Gas Mileage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Seems like the bottom line for this motor is small unit ~24' and slow speeds....~55mph gets in excess of 10mpg..... sounds good to me.... :)

Without knowing exactly what the Banks chip does, it is hard to guess why you went -4 mpg. It may well be changing the management parameters enough that you are mostly running in a lower gear (the ECM and transmission interact a lot in a modern drive train).

Is that the Banks Transcommand module that you added? I couldn't find an actual Banks chip for the V10 when I tried to learn more about it.

That is absolutely incorrect. You will get significantly better gas mileage between 50 and 55 mph as opposed to over 60 mph. Wind resistance is the big fuel mileage killer, not weight. And wind resistance increases AT THE SQUARE OF VELOCITY! Slow down and get better fuel mileage.

gcharte said:
When we bought our 2006 Fleetwood Storm, Ford V-10 Triton we were told that if you stayed between 61 an 63 miles per hour you would get your best gas mileage. So far it varies between 7 and 10 and I'm very happy, it could be worse. We also pull a toad.

Gary

I recently drove My 2017 V10 from Indy to Seattle thru Yellowstone and returned thru Colorado, taking I-70 up and thru the Johnson tunnel. My best mileage 9.5 MPG, was in Yellowstone where speeds are limited to 45mph. Next best was the first day out 9.1mpg leaving Indy and headed to Wisconsin Dells. Worst mileage was in Colorado climbing towards the summit, at 6.8 mpg. I drove with the cruise control set at 65, and dropped it to 55 climbing in Colorado. Overall mpg for entire trip came in at 7.8 mpg.

I have yet to break 8 mpg but I don't blame it on the Ford v10. Simple physics - 31 feet and about 14,000 pounds with the all the aerodynamics of a piece of plywood.  Oh and things hanging off of it like an air conditioner and awning don't help.  Want better mileage?  Drive your Prius and stay in a hotel OR take off what you don't use. 

Lightening the load can make a difference.  Travel with only flushing water, empty black and grey tanks, no EXTRA clothes, do you use the awning - if not leave it etc.  We are doing the maths on renting a car on our next Florida trip - towing eats up the fuel and we are traveling from pennsylvania.

I tried to be a light foot driver and that lasted a tank of gas and the math......I didn't save enough for me to worry about it but my wife and I still work full time so when we travel we have to be back to work.  Don't worry about me speeding - just about impossible for me to get it up and stay AT the speed limit!!

I am not a brand loyal but I don't think the issue is the v10 or any other gas engine - we are simply doing a lot with it and asking a lot of it!

I know this is a V10 thread, but my 8.1 gets about the same. I've put on a little over 3000 miles this summer, and run close to the speed limit, 7.6 is what my 34 ft Dolphin gets. My coach weighs 19600 lbs, and it is tall and wide. My Damon Challenger got much better fuel economy with the 7.4, but it weighed in at 13600 and was much shorter and narrower. Wind resistance has a lot to do with fuel mileage. I didn't buy a motor coach for fuel mileage, but I sure liked the 10/ 11 mpg the Challenger got, compared to this Dolphin. I sure like the extra room and comfort I got with the larger coach though.

figure on 7-8 MPG... if you ever get 10 MPG then you probably made an error in your math.

When we had our 2000 Bounder 36J with a toad (2007 edge) it would average out to 6 ish driving between 62-65.
Yes the v10's are screamers...you think its going to fly apart...but that's where they make the power..

It's all about power to weight ratio...smaller coaches with V10's will most likely get better mileage than larger coaches...also depends on how heavy its loaded and if you're towing something.....

Bart

All listed below towing:

Average
65 mph, wind less than 5-10mph, 7.5 mpg in two different class C's and a Class A.

Best ever:
Road construction limited us to 55 mph and we had a tail wind of 35mph, 9.5mpg.

Worst ever:
Raining like a monsoon into a 35 mph headwind, 5.5mpg

Back
Top Bottom