Triton V10 Engine cuts out in heavy rain

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

neil30076

My 2003 Brave (Ford chassis) was running fine until i hit very heavy - torrential- rain. 1st time it cut out for less than a second and then kept going, second time it 'blipped' for a shorter time, then 3rd time the engine died completely.  I was able to pull over under a bridge ( I40 in Raleigh)  and it started right up. I waited for the rain to ease and was able to complete my trip home ( 25 miles) with no issues. My first thoughts were water getting into the electrics somewhere, but nothing obvious.
Has anyone else experienced this?

I recall there was an issue with the Triton air intake setup on F53 chassis where water could be sucked up in a heavy rain, causing problems. I think the fix was a "snorkle" device that Ford supplies, but I don't recall what years were involved.

Some time ago I read of someone with a Winnebago who had the same issue.  His problem was that during a hard rain, water would leak in around the "hood" on the front of the motorhome, and be sucked into the air intake for the engine.

Paul

There is a common problem with water getting into the fresh air intake. It even saturates the air filter. There is a Ford TSB on it. TSB 04-24-22

I'm 99% sure water ingress was the issue so thanks everyone, new air filter on its way, and now looking for the parts for the TSB.

neil30076 said:
I'm 99% sure water ingress was the issue so thanks everyone, new air filter on its way, and now looking for the parts for the TSB.
If none is found, be careful if you opt to add some kind of hose (dryer hose or whatever).  This will cause some restriction that might be a performance issue.  Of course, dying on the road in the rain is a pretty severe performance issue. :)

A telephone call to Ford MOTORHOME division should be a great source of information.

thanks, the parts called out in the TB are NLA - only hope is to find one on a shelf somewhere, or in a scrap yard, or improvise.

Had the problem on my "98, so this is not new.  The fix for mine was 1, cover the holes on the air cleaner body.  Didn't help a bit. 2, wrap the front part of the air cleaner with about a 2 foot sheet of bendable plastic keeping the water from splashing into the intake.. I also think the snorkel from the Banks system cured it as well.  Carry an extra air filter.

Don G.

Bought my 1999 Bounder new.  I soon had the same problem (same engine) and the Ford dealer installed something...long ago and I don't remember what, on the air intake.  Perhaps talk to a dealer and someone there will remember the fix.  Had no problme after the fix.  Good luck.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iec-telecom
Back
Top Bottom