Truckers and RV GPS???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BernieD said:
Larry

Maybe for once Garmin took to heart a complaint that I sent to them ;D

Let's hope that it actually works as described. I'll post when I find out, but it may be a while before I'm in a state with the differences.

If it was you that got them to do that, THANKS!

Larry, the 2730 is this a car model(non-RV) that you had in the past?  Or is your new one an up grade with same type functions,  Just a new an improved model?  Or is this your first one with an RV-Truckers mode?

Jay,

The Streetpilot 2730 is an automotive unit (an enhancement of the 2720) from several years back -- an excellent unit. Although it is a discontinued unit, you can see its feature list at the Garmin site here, with links to manuals and other things about it.

The dezl 560 lmt is my first truck/RV unit. Note that some of its features have been in Garmins for years, while others are fairly new, and the truck/RV functions Have (as far as I know) only been in the 465T and now in the dezl 560, in Garmin units. But my comments above relate mostly to features that are not RV specific, and likely are in a lot of the more recent Nuvi units (which I've never used).

An update on the dezl 560. I succeeded in getting my first map update. Pretty easy, but takes a while (lots of data), as in close to two hours.

If you go onto a road it doesn't have data about, it warns it may not be suitable for trucks (RVs), via a ding and an icon -- push the icon and get a text warning screen. Similar deal for steep grades ahead -- text includes grade percentage, but I have seen at least one road (not a major highway) where data was lacking, and it didn't tell me about a 9% grade (ouch). This was Sand Draw Rd. off of U.S. 287 (missed a turn coming out of a rest area -- my fault). Lane assist works OK, where they have data, though I've not yet encountered really confusing locations for that to help. It will often just accept that I want to go a different way than programmed (especially after the first warning), instead of repeatedly doing the "do a U-turn," or turn right on "X" road, etc.

I did discover a slight problem related to searching: I entered "Grand Teton National Park" while going across southern Wyoming (while at a rest area). It took a bit to come up with a search result, and in the meantime I'd gotten on I-80 again. When it finally got the results displayed, as I was about to touch one of the choices, it went blank recalculating distances (well, not really blank, but...) and five minutes later it still didn't have updated results. A bit later, when I was stopped, the search took a little bit, but the recalculation wasn't involved, and I could select my destination choice.

All in all, the more I use it (especially for the RV), the more I like it. It's especially nice that, when I don't disconnect power but just turn it off for overnight/whatever, I don't have to go through all the greeting/startup/etc. screens after pushing the ON button -- instead, I just choose "Where To" or "Map." Nice!

It's especially nice that, when I don't disconnect power but just turn it off for overnight/whatever, I don't have to go through all the greeting/startup/etc. screens after pushing the ON button -- instead, I just choose "Where To" or "Map." Nice!

The Garmin Nuvi works the same way.  As long as the GPS is in the dock and the dock is powered, even if the GPS is turned off, it will start instantly and have a fix when turned on.  I think all that is turned off in this case is the display.

It seems like the best gps would rise to the top in the owner/driver trucking industry.  There are way more of them than rv's.  I would think that word-of-mouth at the truck stops would identify the best of the best.  There must be info on popular trucker forums. 

I still use my cell phone with GPS. I use copilot it has a RV mode in it, It will tell me to re-route if anything is in my path even traffic delays over a preset time that I set. I have downloaded Navigon, I heard it was the best out their. I did try it going to work one morning but that's about it for now. I.m planning on using it on vacation next month. It states it is for truckers to . It will allow you to preset the route to take, Interstate, back-roads and things like that. Still have to check out the traffic details on it.

You do realize that in using both, they will likely come up with different routes to get you to the same destination. Not putting down either method but... trust but verify!!!

Rand McNally makes both an RV guide and a trucker's guide.

Try :  http://www.randmcnally.com/products/rvnd5510.jsp

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom