Trying to find the right trailer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TexanTrails

Hello all.  We currently have an rpod trailer and are wanting to upgrade to something larger.  We want to stay fairly small because we like the idea of dry camping and getting the trailer into places that a large trailer wont fit.  Ideally around 25-26ft with bunks and a slide.  The double bunks are nice and we would love those.  We have found a couple of 26 ft that dont have a slide but do have bunks...but we cant seem to find a floorplan that has everything we want.  We have a 2010 ram 2500 diesel so towing these shouldnt be a problem.  We would consider a small fifth wheel but we can't seem to find these under 30 feet with the bunks. 

Any ideas would be appreciated.  Thanks!
Greg

My suggestion is not to rush it. My last RV took me four months to find. I spent at least an hour a day reading eBay and Craigslist ads to find just the right one. Floor plan is number one in my book and I am glad I took the time to get it right. I am extremely happy with my RV.

We JUST (this past Thursday) picked up our new trailer!  We have been looking to upgrade out 2011 Coleman Utah pop up since early spring. We were looking at weights and lengths and floor plans!  We looked at ALOT of trailers. We finally found the right one for us (2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 292BHDS).
I read some very good advice on this forum; someone said, you will live with your floor plan for the rest of your time with the trailer, take the time to find the right one!  I lived by that advise.
I was never comfortable with any floor plan I saw until we found the 292BHDS. I didn't want to "settle" for something less than I wanted or buy something more than I wanted. As soon as we found it, we KNEW it was the one!
Take your time, visit lots of dealers, visit lots of web sites. And know that the dealers choose the options (this I learned!). Just because 1 trailer doesn't have a pull out sofa bed, doesn't mean they all don't have a pull out sofa bed - keep looking and when you find it you will know!
Good luck!!

Just like everyone has said be patient you'll find just the right one. I took us about a year and looking at lots of dealerships, craigslist and ebay. It just so happens my wife worked with a guy that had just what we were looking for and the price was right. Good luck!

The Palomino Puma 259-RBSS is a 28'8" fifth wheel with bunks. There is usually a Sabre with  the same floor plan. I have no doubt that others will turn up also.

Joel

Have you checked the websites for major trailer manufacturers like Forest River, Keystone, KZ and Dutchman? Even if not shopping for a new one, you can use the websites to review the available floor plans for the various brands.

i have looked at lots of websites for many of the manufacturers.  We are thinking of the Jayco whitehawk 28DSBH.  We just wish it was possible to get one like this but shorter.  One thing we noticed is if we go too short the air conditioner is not ducted and that makes a big difference in the sound level and we were trying to make sure it stays ducted.  Thanks for the advice.  My wife said she loved the floorplan on this one but just wished it was shorter.  Sounds like I Better just get this one and I bet she will be happy with it.  One other thing.....do you think the Honda eu3000is generator will run a 15k air conditioner?

Greg

TexanTrails said:
My wife said she loved the floorplan on this one but just wished it was shorter.  Sounds like I Better just get this one and I bet she will be happy with it. 
The number one rule of RVing is the wife must be happy ;D

If you tow vehicle can handle it (and you said it likely could), then you will never notice the extra length, 2 feet extra on 26' is peanuts.... The floor plan (and the wife's approval) is what it's all about.

I hate to say it but the best way to pick a floor plan is actually be there in the RV and make believe your living in the RV. That mean think about cooking meals in the kitchen. Can you do the job with the counter space you got? How about using the bathroom? I know its a personal matter but can you move around with banging elbows into the wall all the time or stand up in the shower with banging your head? How about the bed can you stretch out and be comfortable with your feet hanging off the bed or having to bend you knees to fit? How about the living space is there going to be enough living space for your family to sit and watch some TV or maybe play cards? Like I said you want to step into the RV and play house for a few hours and see if it actually fits you.

Now that the floor plan is figured out you can look at other specs like water tank sizes, sewer tanks, propane, batteries, etc. But do keep in mind the weight and size of the RV in relation to the tow vehicle. If you find the RV you really like and find out the GVWR of the trailer exceeds the rating of the tow vehicle it might be time to upgrade the tow vehicle. I look at this way why skimp on the RV and being uncomfortable because you got a small tow vehicle. Typically from what I see here the average RV is about 26 to 35 foot long and most 1/2 ton truck and smaller vehicles just are too small.

So sit down and do a bit of homework and a get together as a family and do a bit of field work too.

^^good advice^^

To that I will add you might want to see how easy or how hard it is to make the bed. My last RV required a contortionist to make the bed properly.

All good advice.  And you'll find a ton of them that won't work before you find the one that does in all likelihood.  Or maybe you'll get lucky and hit it right off the bat.  But when you DO find the right one, you'll know it instantly.

The most frustrating part is going through all of the motions....you're 90% to the "this is the ONE!" phase....and then you find the one thing that's a dealbreaker.

I love my new Palomino.  No bunks, Queen Serta, HUGE bathroom ( I had smaller Loos in my college apts), and best of all, the 2nd outdoor kitchen.  I couldn't sign the papers on this one fast enough.

I know this is going to sound pretty stupid but my wife and had the same dilemma. What I ended up doing was going with two trailers. It is very hard to find one trailer that will do it all. We have a really nice 30' TT that we use most of the time. This trailer pretty much stays on paved roads and established campgrounds. When we want to get off the beaten path and explore some of the backcountry we have a 17' TT that gets around really well. The small trailer is a really nice used trailer that I picked up for $3000.00. I put another $1000.00 into it to get it to exactly what I wanted it to be and get everything working as new. With this set-up you can get the perfect floor plan with out needing to compromise size and still have something smaller when needed.  Maybe not the perfect solution but it works for us. Just a thought.

warsw said:
I know this is going to sound pretty stupid but my wife and had the same dilemma. What I ended up doing was going with two trailers. It is very hard to find one trailer that will do it all. We have a really nice 30' TT that we use most of the time. This trailer pretty much stays on paved roads and established campgrounds. When we want to get off the beaten path and explore some of the backcountry we have a 17' TT that gets around really well. The small trailer is a really nice used trailer that I picked up for $3000.00. I put another $1000.00 into it to get it to exactly what I wanted it to be and get everything working as new. With this set-up you can get the perfect floor plan with out needing to compromise size and still have something smaller when needed.  Maybe not the perfect solution but it works for us. Just a thought.

Ya know, we've had that exact thought.  The one thing I CAN'T do with my new Palo is get it into some of the boondocking spots we went with the old Coachmen.  Well, not without tearing something up anyway.  If I had a place to keep it, I'd love to have an old 18' beater trailer just for boondocking.  Keep it mechanically sound and everything working, but able to take it off roading without worry.  I probably would have kept the old one....but again, no room in the city to keep two of them.

Best of both worlds.

One thing to consider in your floorplan is whether you can easily access the bathroom and fridge with the slide-outs pulled in.  It's nice to be able to get a cold beverage and use the head when traveling without having to level up the trailer and run the slideouts.  Our Arctic Fox 29V allows this; our friend's Arctic Fox 27T does not - and he really noticed that after he bought it.

Old Blevins said:
One thing to consider in your floorplan is whether you can easily access the bathroom and fridge with the slide-outs pulled in.  It's nice to be able to get a cold beverage and use the head when traveling without having to level up the trailer and run the slideouts.  Our Arctic Fox 29V allows this; our friend's Arctic Fox 27T does not - and he really noticed that after he bought it.

Good point.  Ours still has good access with the slide in.  Very nice when stopping somewhere for lunch too. 

Old Blevins said:

I'm lucky too... I can hop in and use the bathroom and grab a bite to eat too... No need for the slide...

Mopar1973Man said:
How about the bed can you stretch out and be comfortable with your feet hanging off the bed or having to bend you knees to fit? How about the living space is there going to be enough living space for your family to sit and watch some TV or maybe play cards? Like I said you want to step into the RV and play house for a few hours and see if it actually fits you.

Haha!  That's exactly what we did!  We opened ALL the beds (the pull out sofa bed, the dining room bed, and of course the queen bed) and I lied down on all of them!.  It was funny, but I was serious!  We weren't going to buy it if we couldn't have our adult kids sleep in it!

Mopar1973Man said:
I'm lucky too... I can hop in and use the bathroom and grab a bite to eat too... No need for the slide...

We took my mom camping with us in June.  She's almost 80 years old, and "camper trailer" to her means 16' rickety old thing with an icebox, burnt orange curtains, and couch cushions to sleep on.  She was just awed how spacious our trailer was ( with the slide in ).  She had no idea what a slide was.  When we were setting up I told her "watch this" and hit the button.  She was just amazed....kept commenting on how "the whole wall moves!". 

She had a ball that weekend.....gotta take her again.

Back
Top Bottom