Trying to learn before buying an RV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Although that particular salesman's advice was not "bad" per se, use great caution in believing anything they tell you about tow capacity. Their job is to sell you a trailer, and not to make sure the towing experience is a good one.

That "carry stuff in the bed" number is called payload... i.e. weight pushing down on the truck, which for RVing is the tongue weight of the trailer. That is separate than the towing capacity, which is what's being pulled in a forward motion by the truck.

Even if you do have a 9500-12,000 towing capacity (and narrowing down that range depends on various features of your truck), that's a different dynamic than the length of the trailer. 32' is going to stretch the capacities have most half ton trucks like your 1500, regardless of weight. It's because manufacturer advertised towing is done with something like a flatbed load of bricks, and not a giant empty box that picks up every breeze or draft from a passing car and blows side to side. That's what makes RV trailers different, and generally you'll want to stay below the 30' range to have a comfortable towing experience with that truck.

We can help you understand the towing numbers.

The truck has to be able to CARRY the portion of the trailer weight that rests on the hitch. That's 10%-12% of the total loaded trailer weight and becomes CARGO on the truck. [CARGO is sometimes called PAYLOAD.] People, gear, and the trailer hitch are also CARGO, so it all gets added together and must total less than the truck CARGO CAPACITY.

The truck also has a MAX TOW RATING - the most it can pull down the road. The trailer GVWR has to be less than the MAX TOW, preferable no more than 80%-85% of it. MAX TOW is also affected by cargo in the truck, but if you stay around 80% of max that will work out ok.

The 32 ft of the GD Imagine 2670MK is the overall length, hitch to rear bumper. The boxy body is probably about 27 ft, with 4+ft of "tongue" sticking out on the front. As Scotty said, that places the big slab-sided box well behind the truck where it gets pushed around by winds and passing trucks and it tends to drag the back of the truck around. A relatively soft suspension of a 1500 truck is more susceptible to that than a 2500 or 3500.

Last edited:
Here's how I organize my thoughts around this.

1 - CGVWR - This is the trucks Combined Gross Vehicle Weight Rating - The total combined weight of truck and trailer.
2 - Truck GVWR - This is the absolute maximum weight of the truck - not considering the trailer. There is a "published" Empty Weight or Curb Weight that does not include passengers, gas or cargo. It's probably pretty close - some people will weigh their truck. So first add people at like 220# each for margin and a full tank of gas at around 6# per gallon. I call this travel weight.
3 - The truck will also have a "Cargo Carrying Capacity" which is the theoretical maximum you can put in the bed.
4 - But there will be a front axle load and a rear axle load. In theory you could load the cab up with lead bars and blow the front axle rating - these numbers are about distributing the load across the 2 truck axles.
5 - Towing capacity is the theoretical max trailer weight. This is a bit more related to brakes and transmission and engine.

6 - The trailer will likely have an empty weight and a GVWR - The difference is what the trailer can carry sometime called Cargo Carrying Capacity
7 - As others have already said some of the weight is going to rest on the ball hitch. about 10-12% is suggested to improve the tow, reduce bouncing or overloading the hitch structure. You don't need to separate this from CGVWR except that the 300#-350# becomes part of the "bed weight" of the truck as well as the GVW of the trailer.
8 - It is critical to load the trailer with propane, however much water you routinely carry, all the dishes, pots, pans, appliances, tools etc. Anything that becomes part of the non-variable "Traveling Weight" and then GO GET AN ACTUAL WEIGHT BY WEIGHING AT THE TRUCK STOP.
9 - Anything left on Trailer GVWR that will also not exceed the CGVWR is usable for your clothes, food, fishing gear etc. that is what I call the variable weight.

I hope this helps you work through the numbers.

Another thing about RV salesman, those weights listed are often for an empty trailer, no one ever hauls an empty trailer, they want pots, pans, water, clothing, bbq grill, bicycles, etc. when they get where they are going.

A quick comment... there is the weight your truck can pull and the weight your truck can carry. Most often, the weight the truck can carry (cargo capacity) is the ruling number.
Also, the weight your truck can pull is based on a flat trailer full of bricks or something. The big frontal wall of a, rv trailer reduces that number. Manufacturers towing guides sometimes address that factor.

Salesmen are not reliable sources for what your truck can do. They do not care about you, only your money.

if you can, post a photo of the yellow bordered sticker on the drivers door latch post.

STOP please slow down way down. You do not want to be on the hook for a 32 ft trailer behind any 1/2 ton truck.You may be rated to pull xxxx lbs but can you carry xxxx and pull xxxx at the same time. So please get back to the basics. Where did you get 12100? And what does the yellow decal say? There is lots of good advise here before buying

Attachments

• 20210307_112007.jpg
    20210307_112007.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 5
Welcome. This site is great and packed with good info. I come here everyday to read the new posts.

Backing a TT is easier than a small utility trailer. NEVER, I emphasize NEVER, back up a TT without a spotter who either has a walkie talkie or is on the phone - live with the driver - on speaker or Bluetooth through the truck's audio system. Everyone, stay calm. Especially the driver. Your spotter is there to help and will also have a learning curve that will get easier with the directions with time and practice. Others will wait for you while you back into your campsite. We have all had to do it. Use your own spotter that you have become comfortable and focus only on the one (unless someone is helping with clearance of obstacles on the front of your truck). Spotter needs stay in area behind the TT where they can be seen by the driver in the driver side mirror. (Spotter, move as backing so you can see the mirror on the driver side as much as possible). Spotter needs to look overhead too for tree branches.

Practicing driving and backing in a large parking lot as mentioned is a good idea. When driving forward, remember the TT tracks in a smaller radius when turning. Watch tractor trailers negotiate turns in city traffic. It is not as significant because your trailer wheels are not as far back but it is a thing. Watch others towing TTs. Remember the signs you see on the back of big rigs "This vehicle makes wide turns." The right hand turns with close objects on the right (poles, street signs, etc.) need caution. I have found other drivers to be very understanding that you will make wide turns and may need to get into their lane to execute such. I am a gear head and enjoy driving. I like the challenge of safe negotiation pulling the TT! There are a lot more posts here with more details about merging traffic, lane choice, etc. that you can search and read.

Others here will soon ask you for a picture or the information on the yellow tag on the door jam on the driver side door. This will have the cargo capacity and other important info for the trailer you can safely tow. 32 feet seems long for your truck. We tow a 28 ft with a 3/4 ton truck. I would not want any longer nor do I feel we need it. Our TT weighs 7500 lbs loaded. Soon others will jump in with the "wind sail effect" of a TT vs towing 12,000 lbs of bricks on a flat trailer. Posting that info from you door jam sticker now will yield you more good advice.

As you can see, I am a slow typer, and I did not see there was a 2nd page with more good posts when I started my previous response!

I hear all of you and all of the advice. The 32 ft. is definitely out. The truck is in the shop because it already had a fender fender so I can't post the door sticker. Ex-Calif, we will go through the steps you have provided and see if we can't figure this out. Keep any comments coming! I am so thankful to have found this site and all of you!

NEVER, I emphasize NEVER, back up a TT without a spotter who either has a walkie talkie or is on the phone - live with the driver - on speaker or Bluetooth through the truck's audio system.
I feel just the opposite. I hate when someone tries to direct me. I could back up all the way across country without a spotter.

My problem is when my wife tries to do the directing, she says come on back, I ask if she is sure, she says she is, starts going on about how she is doing me a favor by directing me, and how I should trust her judgement, this is then followed by a crunch. So far these crunches have involved a boat trailer, a utility trailer, a trailer mounted air compressor and an RV leveling jack.

My problem is when my wife tries to do the directing, she says come on back, I ask if she is sure, she says she is, starts going on about how she is doing me a favor by directing me, and how I should trust her judgement, this is then followed by a crunch. So far these crunches have involved a boat trailer, a utility trailer, a trailer mounted air compressor and an RV leveling jack.
Which is why I do it without a spotter.

Welcome Emma. DH (Dear Husband) and I have been RVing for 6+ years. Our story is similar to yours. We knew nothing about RVing and I did all the research. I learned to listen to experts that I trusted on this Forum. (It doesn't take long to identify the experts.) I don't listen to RV sales people without checking in with the Forum's RV Gurus.

We started out with a new 22' TT and a 1/4 ton RAM pickup. That combination wasn't suited for the mountains or our six week trip to Yellowstone. We now have a 3/4 ton RAM pickup and a 35' 5th wheel and are very happy.

So a lot of your decisions might depend on where you plan to travel and how long you'll be gone.

Emma, don't worry about being a novice. The experts here are patient and generous with their knowledge.

You've come to the right place! I hope to see a lot more posts from you.

One good reason for a spotter is that even with all the experience in the world, without a backup camera, you can never know what is right behind the trailer. Even if you walk back to look, there is always a chance some kid showed up while you were walking back the truck. Too much paperwork if you hit a kid.

When I was training for my class A license, I was told to never back up on a public way, even if an idiot is blocking the way.

if nothing else, a spotter can say “stop” and you can get out too look. Better than the crunch.

One good reason for a spotter is that even with all the experience in the world, without a backup camera, you can never know what is right behind the trailer. Even if you walk back to look, there is always a chance some kid showed up while you were walking back the truck. Too much paperwork if you hit a kid.
With the price of backup cameras these days I wouldn't do without one.

I use mine on the RV as a full time rear view camera. It creates so much more situational awareness while driving and I can keep an eye on the boat or motorcycle trailer I am pulling. Also I backed up the RV and motorcycle trailer about 150 feet with a 90 degree turn in a Love's parking lot to get out of a traffic jam last trip and the rear camera was invaluable with no spotter.

The only area not covered well is overhead corners but that is a quick walk around and I can see the top rear corners with the mirrors.

When I backed into the spot I am in now (up to a fence line) the park owner spotted me and I pretty much ignored him he "shouted" as I came within a foot of the fence. He came up to the door and said, "That was close." I said, "It was supposed to be." and showed him the dash camera - LOL...

Jump in with both feet! You can always change your mind and most likely will. As has been said, your truck will only handle the smaller TT's which leaves adventure wide open. Bigger isn't always better. Point being ...welcome to RVing. Get ya some!

Back
Top Bottom