TT awning, used billboard vinyl

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Twentyrivers

Has anyone replaced their awning material with used billboard vinyl? It looks like the weight of the vinyl is similar to the awning material. We have a checkered flag awning, we got from salvage for our old camper. We moved it to the new camper, but it has gotten some pinholes, and is now starting to deteriorate in condition., becoming brittle.
We also want to purchase a slide out awning, hadn't thought to see if that is available in checkerboard pattern too. Plenty of other things I'd rather spend $ on.

Also, does the trick of putting corrugated pipe over the awning, help prolong an awning life?

Twentyrivers said:
Has anyone replaced their awning material with used billboard vinyl? It looks like the weight of the vinyl is similar to the awning material. We have a checkered flag awning, we got from salvage for our old camper. We moved it to the new camper, but it has gotten some pinholes, and is now starting to deteriorate in condition., becoming brittle.
We also want to purchase a slide out awning, hadn't thought to see if that is available in checkerboard pattern too. Plenty of other things I'd rather spend $ on.

Also, does the trick of putting corrugated pipe over the awning, help prolong an awning life?

i heard that using plastic gutter from home depot works for the awning cover and heard that a pice of 3 inch pvc cut in half also does.

As far as the awning, you could try the billboard idea, I once knew someone that puchased the billboard off of craigslist in many sizes but used it for a skaitng rink in the back yard. I purchasd a new awning to the exact size from Ebay for about 125 to 150.00 about a year ago. It came ready to go and was an easy install. It may look cool to have a billboard awning but I think the hassle might outway coolness, just my two cents.

I haven't looked on eBay for the awning replacement material. I'll do that. If I have to sew anything, it'll make it take longer.

You may be able to glue instead of sew if it is just the edging.

Coolness factor depends on the billboard and how you are able to cut to get the pic where you want it centered but it ranges from a 0 to a 10++!

Back
Top Bottom