TT Box Sizes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Clark Griswold

Does anyone know how to know the box size on any of the following travel trailers?  I know the tongue-to-bumper (tip-to-tip) lengths but can't find a source for the box sizes.

Gulfstream Visa 23RBK 25'-11" tip 2 tip / box length =?
Heartland Edge M219 25'-6" tip 2 tip / box length = ?
Forest River Surveyor SP-275 28'-9" / box length = ?
CruiserRV Viewfinder V-21FB 23'-4' / box length = ?

The model designation is usually a clue to the nominal interior size. For example, 23RBK will be a 23 footer (RVIA standard measurement, which means usable length rather than overall length). M210 is probably a 21 footer, etc.

RV manufacturers just love to get you focused on the overall length rather than the interior size - bigger numbers are better! 

That's what I use to think about the model numbers, and it use to be true.  However, I've found a few with model numbers like M210 that are approx 23' boxes.  That's the reason I am having some difficulty.  The only thing that is usually available on mfg web sites are the overall length.  Good information to know when considering towing; however, when set up to camp....I want to know the box size!  8)

The RVIA tried to force all manufacturers towards standardized size measurements of usable space rather than overall length, but the travel trailer manufacturers have always done their best to circumvent the standard method.  They just love to tell you about their 25 footers that are actually only 21-22 feet once the tongue and bumper are subtracted.  Good luck digging out the real house length - probably easiest to take a tape measure with you to the sales lot.

The box on my V21FB is 21" from the back of the box to the front of the V nose.
Ariz Al

In general, you can subtract 3 feet for the A-frame portion of the trailer frame, with the hitch.  My old TT was 26' long, but the box was 23'.  So for your example, the first one is 25'11"-36"=22'11", or 23' (as in the designation).  The same should hold up for the rest...in general.

Our K2 by Komfort toy hauler is the opposite, being called a K21 the actual length of the body is 22 ft 7 in on the outside. Fortunately Oregon considers it a 21 for license purposes.

RVIA standards call for the model length designation to reflect the usable space for occupants, meaning inside. The cab area of a Class C is not considered usable space (even though it has some use), nor is the tongue of a trailer or the pin box of a 5W or the bumper of any RV. The front seats of a Class A re usable space if they can be turned around to the living area, but not  usable if they can only face forward.  It can get complex if you try to write a rule for all types of RVs, which is probably why the attempt to standardize RV length advertising did not work out very well.

I know that my Keystone 329fbh 5th wheel is 36' 2". The 329 refers to square feet of interior floor space, not length. I thing many of Keystone models are designated this way.
Steve

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stubblejumper
Back
Top Bottom