TT build quality

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WagginWagon

I'm sure there are strong opinions on this topic but is there a pinned article anywhere on which TT manufacturers offer better quality trailers than others? I see plenty of fodder on YouTube but am hoping there's some measure of consensus as to which might stand above the others and which to avoid at all costs.

Thanks!

Not really... people will have individual opinions, and certainly there are some higher-dollar brands that are built with better materials... Arctic Fox jumps to mind, just from what I've read here from others.  But otherwise, the majority of RV's are built with the same methods and parts and will be of similar quality for the most part.  Overall they are built fairly inexpensively (an ongoing complaint of many owners, but doesn't keep us from camping! :)), and it is not uncommon for things to come loose or break occasionally once the rigs start bouncing down the road.  ;)

Budget/floorplan/options/condition will be much more important factors to consider than year/make/model, when it comes time for you to research and buy.

In my opinion actual TT build quality is largely the same no matter the brand. The higher priced models have a bit better construction and materials, but they all suffer from the same (all-too-large) percentage on manufacturing mistakes.  If you want a longer lasting unit, or expect to use it heavily, it's worthwhile to pay extra for a better built RV. Most trailer builders offer a wide price range, and the more expensive ones will have better grade cabinetry, floor coverings, upholstery, etc.  When I say "more expensive", I mean higher MSRP for a model with essentially the same equipment and size.

It is my understanding that many RV factories "push them out as fast as they can" by giving a quota to their work force and not paying them by the hour, but by the unit.

"OK team, when you get 22 units out the door, you can go home!"  Quantity is assured but not quality.

BRex said:
It is my understanding that many RV factories "push them out as fast as they can" by giving a quota to their work force and not paying them by the hour, but by the unit.

"OK team, when you get 22 units out the door, you can go home!"  Quantity is assured but not quality.

And which factories might these be?  :eek:  I'd like to avoid them!  :mad:

Keith

I'm not sure it is "all of them", but piecework is common in the RV business. It's not so much a "go home early" thing as it is a way to adjust for varying production levels. Everybody on a crew stays until the day's work is done, but on days when only a few are built, everybody goes home early. And with a smaller paycheck. There are also some separate shops within the factory, e.g. a cabinet shop or a fiberglass molding shop. Those guys have their own "day's work", i.e. some number of pieces to be built that day. They work asynchronously to the assembly line guys. So does the final inspection area.

They also use assembly line technique, meaning each workstation along the line has x amount of time to complete the assigned tasks before the unit moves to the next station. If the worker has a problem with one part of the task, he may have rush through the rest. The lower priced brands are typically produced on a faster paced assembly line, meaning less time allotted for each task and lower standards for "acceptable".

The labor cost goes directly into the bottom line pricing, which leads to differing MSRPs. The RV business is extremely price competitive, so nobody simply charges a higher mark-up for the same thing. If one model is priced lower than a seemingly identical one, you can be sure that the labor and materials were reduced somehow. The major question is whether it is in an area that is important to you or not.

kwbush said:
Boy this is a tough crowd... I wonder why anyone bothers to buy an RV if they perceive the quality to be so low.  (shaking head in amazement)

Keith

Because the only other option many of us have to spend our money on is a boat!  ;D

Our 26 year old Bigfoot was a far better built trailer than our Arctic Fox.  We bought the Arctic Fox based on reputation and a desire for more room than what we had in the Bigfoot.  We have had some issues with the Arctic Fox that seem to appear on "all" brands as some say here but it's build quality is much less than the Bigfoot's.  We had the foam in the seats replaced because of how spongy and cheap they are and have purchased a mattress topper for the bed; neither of which was needed in the Bigfoot.  Much more significantly is the fact how much warmer our Bigfoot was than the AF.  We camped in weather down to 12 degrees this past winter in the AF.  It handled it fine but the Bigfoot felt much warmer at the same outside temps and less "drafty".  The AF never seemed to have a comfortable warmth to it like our Bigfoot did.  If we had it to do again, we would have spent the extra on another Bigfoot and gave up some extra space.  Besides, the Bigfoot has less of a wind frontal area so we averaged 3 mpg better mileage pulling it.

Looking at trailers was difficult for us when we decided to go bigger because none that we saw had the quality look of construction or materials as that used in a Bigfoot.  So why didn't we buy another Bigfoot?  Couldn't find a used one in the model we wanted and decided not to spend the extra money required for a new one.  So, we chose a lower quality and complain when we compare the AF to what we had.

We haven't owned a "lesser" brand but I do not think the AF is all that great based on the experiences of our friends in their's and ours.

I can't speak for TT's much ?, as I only have a old Fleetwood wilderness, have not camped in it yet ? ( currently restoring it ). but what I know of from working on and in MH's ?, comparing older MH's and newer MH's, they just don't make anything these days like they did 20-30 years ago !. I say this because I restore atvs as a hobby, and I've had my hands on very old atvs, as well as newer models, and todays newer models are nothing compared to old models from 30 years ago !. most manufactures today have one thing they are after..MAKING MONEY AS FAST AS THEY CAN !. this means they cut corners here and there for parts, cheap china crap, low labor cost to their employees, and rush them out the door to start/finish the next one. in todays REAL world, there is no pride in making a top notch product, not anymore. I am sure every manufacture today is just '' getting it done '' ?, and then there are top dollar ones that do it right, but you will pay for that product cash wise !. from what little time I've had my hands on my TT ?, all I see is cheap walls, cheap floors, cheap roofs, with a few good brand name equipment thrown in to make it look good. atwood, dometic, coleman, names like these, we all know they are good. but the over all camper ?..meh..nothing I would write home to mom or dad about for sure !..lol.  all we see now is cheap products, spec from china !. I am a proud American, I would love to support our people with products made by Americans, and made in the good ole USA like it was done way back then. but I know this is not going to happen. in todays world, it's buy cheap, build cheap, sell high to make that buck. just my .02's worth :).

kwbush said:
Boy this is a tough crowd... I wonder why anyone bothers to buy an RV if they perceive the quality to be so low.  (shaking head in amazement)

We do it for the "lifestyle", the travel freedom, the exposure to nature (that we may not have otherwise), and the people met along the way.  You notice that the actual RV is not on that list... not that it's unimportant, since the "RV" makes this pastime "RVing" and we all like to show off our rigs.  But most of us would still figure out a way to do it, no matter what rig we are driving or pulling to our destination.  :)

This is a photo of our backyard but we still like to go to the "woods" to camp. Last weekend we went to Trap Pond State Park and I just made reservations for 5 days at Wellesley Island State Park in New York. And our new little TT leaks. We'll take it to the factory at the end of our season-December. It's still fun.

Attachments

• IMG_0976.JPG
    IMG_0976.JPG
    135.7 KB · Views: 9
kwbush said:

Keith
Jack of a trades I am. The KZ Sonic is getting improvements and repairs weekly. RV centers have your back....LOL

Hi WagginWagon-
A good question to ask. When we were looking we went to RV shows and walked through pretty much everything at all price ranges, I spent a lot of time looking at fit and finish and was amazed at the shoddy workmanship most all manufacturers were confident in displaying. I would have thought they would have spent a little more time prepping them the big show. We ended up with an Artic Fox based largely on the floor plan and size with a little bit of (over-hyped IMO) reputation influence thrown in there. Suggestion; go to some RV shows with your eyes wide open, read reviews and talk to folks.

Oh, the trailers with the coolest graphics are of the highest quality. Just kidding.

Have fun,
Gary

I find that most RV sales people do not know much about RV's much like most car sales people know little about trucks (or cars). These folks are hired off the streets and are expected to make money for the dealership. Do your homework and go into the dealership knowing you are not going to come out the winner. Be happy with what you got and make the best of it. If you purchase a unit and it turns out to be a lemon and that ruins your life then this lifestyle is not for you. Do not put your life savings into something that could turn out to be life changing; for the worst. If it smells like poop, it is poop. Don't buy it. Listen to your spouse. If your spouse is not happy you will not be happy. We love camping. Notice I said we. If the we ain't there don't do it.

kdbgoat said:
Because the only other option many of us have to spend our money on is a boat!  ;D

And that is bad... why? I'd love a boat in addition to our RV... I'd take a 22' bow rider OR a 40' Cruiser anyday!!!  8) :) ;)

Keith

I'm not sure, at all, if discussing the quality of RV's makes this site a "tough crowd." I like the discussion thread and it gives us things/issues to look at when shopping or doing preventative maintenance.

Oldgator73 said:
I find that most RV sales people do not know much about RV's much like most car sales people know little about trucks (or cars). These folks are hired off the streets and are expected to make money for the dealership. Do your homework and go into the dealership knowing you are not going to come out the winner. Be happy with what you got and make the best of it. If you purchase a unit and it turns out to be a lemon and that ruins your life then this lifestyle is not for you. Do not put your life savings into something that could turn out to be life changing; for the worst. If it smells like poop, it is poop. Don't buy it. Listen to your spouse. If your spouse is not happy you will not be happy. We love camping. Notice I said we. If the we ain't there don't do it.
EXCELLENT ADVISE !!!!!

If you do not know more about the camper you are considering than the salesman, you are not ready to buy.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HillcountryHusker
Back
Top Bottom