Tucson to Monument Valley in April

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Not A Clue

we are looking to leave Tucson in April and head to Monument Valley. We have been through Flagstaff and Page and are looking for different route.  we are thinking about hwy 77 to 191 to 160 to 163.

Two questions:

How are the roads and anywhere to camp overnight.  I am not seeing much in the way of campgrounds, prefer hookups....at least electric.

TIA

Monument Valley is one of the least populated places in the country. Not a lot there. I would take 89 and there is a small campground in Cameron AZ called the Cameron Trading Post.

https://www.camerontradingpost.com/

No hookups at all, but a nice quiet place to camp near Monument Valley:

https://stateparks.utah.gov/parks/goosenecks/

I second Old -Crows nomination of  Goosenecks.  That hole in the ground is spectacular.  We like to overnight there and then drive our tow vehicle back to  Gouldings for the Navajo Tacos in the  restaurant within the "resort."  Also a neat Old Western Movie museum and great gift shop!

I haven't stayed there but Goulding's Trading Post Museum looked good.
Goulding's Trading Post Museum, 1000 Main Street, Oljato-Monument Valley, UT 84536, gouldings.com, (435) 727-3231
Bill

We're headed back to the Canyon this spring.  When we head home in October, I think we'll spend more than one night in the area this time and do some exploring.  Navajo Tacos are a favorite of ours(the ones at the North Rim lodge are made with bison chili).
This last fall, the alternator on the Jeep went out 2 days before we left the GC, and we didn't have it fixed when we were at Goosenecks.  Closest place on our route to get an alternator was Cortez, Co.  Got the replacement and 30 minutes after we'd parked at Mesa Verde I had it going again.

We went through Monument Valley in May of 2015, and 163 north of Monument Valley was nothing short of terrible. Unless it has been paved since then I would avoid it.

Back
Top Bottom