Turn and emergency flashers 1996 Bounder 35U

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kenrat

I have lost both signal flashers.  I replace the one under the dash but read somewhere there may be another one.  I went thru 2 steering column units on my 93 F150 when it was under warranty and am hoping it is a flasher or hidden fuse.  The under dash fuse is OK.  Thanks Ken  PS  I have also lost my remote mirrors, they are heated also but don't know if the heat works.

Check your distribution panel under the hood out front, you may even have too remove the cover ,  inside youll find more fuses when remove complete cover youll find Relays you just may have a Bad One,  Oh by the way there are 2 Flashers one for Turn , one for Emergency .  Hope this small bit info. Helps you out some, Good Luck !! Rodney

Ken, fuse #9 in the RV-Custom Products BCC box is for the electric mirrors.  None of the flasher circuits are in this box, but it may be that one of the ignition controlled relays on the BCC board is bad (thus responsible for both your problems).  Look this document over and you may get some ideas.

PS - the document says fuse #9 is for electric windows, but it's really the mirrors.

When I first bought my big beautiful Bounder, someone on another forum was in the middle of a learning experience here.  If I remember correctly, the 'straight from the factory' rig had a 3 pin flasher.  BUT!!! . . . . if you toddle down to NAPA and buy a standard ol' 3 pin flasher, something would blow a fuse.  You need to get a normal, American 2 pin flasher.  Don't remember why, but I DO remember that replacing it with a 3 pin unit was a no-no. Maybe someone else here has the rest of the story.

The turn signal flasher is located on a board under the lift-up dash Instrument cluster.  The other flasher is located down under the dash behind the steering column and brake pedal.  It is a square unit which does not look like the normal flasher.

fredethomas said:
I had trouble with the flashers and mirrors on a 94 Bounder and found the problem was on the electrical hookup for the towd.

Would this possible be the case if I have one turn signal flash (right turn) that works fine, and another flash (left turn) that always has the "fast flash" effect?  All my bulbs are fine.

scottydl said:
Would this possible be the case if I have one turn signal flash (right turn) that works fine, and another flash (left turn) that always has the "fast flash" effect?  All my bulbs are fine.

Scotty, check closely (you may have to remove some lenses) to see if multiple filaments in some bulbs are lighting up.  This would be an indication of a bad ground forcing the current to find a path back through another bulb.  The difference in total resistance can do strange things.

Just Lou said:
Scotty, check closely (you may have to remove some lenses) to see if multiple filaments in some bulbs are lighting up.  This would be an indication of a bad ground forcing the current to find a path back through another bulb.  The difference in total resistance can do strange things.

That's a good idea, but I don't have any multi-filament bulbs in the RV.  My turn signals (amber) and brake lights (red) are seperate bulbs and housings.

Usually, the heavier the load (meaning more things to power) the faster the blinker will blink.  What you describe as fast flash would be caused by a bulb that's drawing much more current than it should.  I'd follow the toad problem suggestion.  Pull all the bulbs on the toad and turn on the directionals.  Assuming everything works fine, install one bulb at a time. (might check that they are the right bulbs while they are out.)  At very least, this approach will narrow it down to either the coach or the toad.

That's a helpful description, thanks...

nbounder said:
this approach will narrow it down to either the coach or the toad.

If it takes a load for fast flash, then my problem is definitely in the coach electronics somewhere... I don't have a toad attached when I have the problem.  But I have the typical coach wiring, and I didn't know if a bad connection there could mess with the flash rate.  Sounds like that's not the case.  I'll still try to swap bulbs around and see if that changes anything.

Usually, the heavier the load (meaning more things to power) the faster the blinker will blink.  What you describe as fast flash would be caused by a bulb that's drawing much more current than it should. 

I've always thought it was just the reverse.  The fast flash was on the side with the burned out bulb.

your correct fast flash means bad bulb on that side somewhere or broken wire leading too the bulb, you will get a dim flash on the towd if you have grounding problems with a significant amp draw,,  have you checked all lights , Front, Mirror, Most coachs have a Side Clearance lite that acts as a Turn Signal near the rear tire an on the rear,,, the side could have a broken lead wire from debree,  hope this helps somewhat Good luck , Electrical problems can be a ******  Nite-Mare so to speak  ,,      Rodney

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeeRob
Back
Top Bottom