Turn signal problem on '97 F53 (Ford Bounder)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Just Lou

Had to cancel my appointment today for my annual DMV Safety Inspection.

My turn signals are not functioning.  The flasher 'clicks', and the rear lights do function, but none of the front lights work.  Also, the interior dash indicators do not work.

All lights work properly from the emergency flasher.  Can I assume that I do not have a problem in the vacinity of the bulbs?

I have heard of problems in the steering column TS switch.  I think I'll start there with a visual inspection and a few meter readings.  After that, I'm pretty much lost.

Any ideas, from your experience, would be appreciated.

Lou, The front turn signals and the dash indicators operate off of the same contact set. It could be a frayed wire in the steering column or a failed milti-function switch.  Rockauto.com has the switch listed as a turn signal switch for about $40.00.

Richard

[quote author=bingo_57]
Lou, do your dash indicators work on the emergency flasher?  JB  ??? [/quote]

Yes they do..  That's what gave me the clue to attack the TS switch.  I figure that everything past the switch must be in working shape.  Hoping I'm right :) :-\

[quote author=rls7201]
Lou, The front turn signals and the dash indicators operate off of the same contact set. It could be a frayed wire in the steering column or a failed milti-function switch.  Rockauto.com has the switch listed as a turn signal switch for about $40.00.  Richard [/quote]

I was able to get the right side front to also work by activating the turn signal lever many times.  That didn't seem to work for the left side, so I removed the switch and took it apart and cleaned all the internal contacts.

Tomorrow, I'll plug the switch back in and see if I've accomplished anything.

I'll need to get some dielectric grease to coat the contacts that are now dry since I removed any lubrication along with all the corrosion.

Thanks for responding, guys.

Ford's 4 way flasher switch from that era is known to develop bad contacts if it's not used regularly, and it's downstream from the turn signals (i.e. the turn signal voltage flows through it).  Try exercising the 4 way switch several times and see if that brings the front turn signals and indicators back to life - if so, follow with contact cleaner and lube.

Lou Schneider said:
Ford's 4 way flasher switch from that era is known to develop bad contacts if it's not used regularly, and it's downstream from the turn signals (i.e. the turn signal voltage flows through it).  Try exercising the 4 way switch several times and see if that brings the front turn signals and indicators back to life - if so, follow with contact cleaner and lube.

Had the same issue on my Jeep Wrangler (Mopar) except none of the turn signals worked...come to find out it was right after I had used the hazards and the switch did not return...worked it back and forth a few times and all was good.

While on the subject of fixing the TS switch, here is my experience with a 1996 Ford  Mini-Van.

The right hand signal actuation would cause a serious buzz from a relay somewhere.
I had no clue of how to access the switch (Steering column plastic shroud seemed impossible to remove)

Emergency repair: Got the trusty PCBlaster out and 2 little squirts into the entry point, hoping it would reach the contacts. Voila... problem resolved. That was 3 years ago. Just lately the same thing started to happen. once again a couple of short squirts and all is well again.

Despite some folks saying that PCBlaster is not a lubricant... wrong. The label describes that the leftovers after drying will coat the surfaces with a lubricant and also an anti-corrosion film.

Sure was a cheap fix.

Well, I just finished reinstalling the cleaned switch and all functions are working properly once again.  Now I have to reschedule my safety inspection.

Lou S. - I didn't spend much time exercising the flasher switch since all lights worked with the flashers from the beginning.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
richielk
Back
Top Bottom